The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1303
    rlw;673692" said:
    holnrew said:

I was tempted by the London e-prix, I might still go. If I'm doing electrical engineering next year I can kind of justify it.

HOW?
    You mean....WATT?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

Hmmm. I watched some of the Formula E races, but I didn't like them at first. I kind of warmed to them a bit after a while, like a kettle element.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27043
    Thejudge reporting Bild reporting Red Bull talking to Ferrari about engines figuring it's better to be a B-team with a good engine and great aero than an A-team with shit engine and great aero. Though presumably they wouldn't win ever again. Maybe ripe for selling the team though? Fuck knows.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires

rlw said:

I'm definitely interested in the Le Mans Classic next year, not sure about the 'normal' 24 hours, though. I've been a couple of times before, many years ago, and found it more interesting looking at cars around the circuit than on the track. Some friends of mine go every year, but it appears to be just one big piss-up. I went one year, maybe in 1996, and there were a bunch of blokes camping near me that actually never got to the track at all, they were too pissed the whole time.

http://www.lemansclassic.com/en

Also, I'm not camping for all the tea in China, it'd have to be a hotel or something more ''solid' than canvas.

Hotel is easy - not cheap though.  You could try here

http://www.booking.com/searchresults.en-gb.html?aid=311076;label=domaine-de-la-courbe-Ft0MCs7v9PyPjazOLvXbMQS11126256900:pl:ta:p1:p2:ac:ap1t1:neg;sid=fcbe905171b1174503d5c92c226a6407;dcid=4;dest_id=-1441748;dest_type=city;highlighted_hotels=296077;hlrd=1;redirected=1;source=hotel&gclid=COGmkYHylsYCFUfMtAodYmYADA&

We have avoided the pissed masses without any problem and usually have a very civilised week, although next year it will only be a long weekend.  

Cheers. I think I shall have a look at that, and also there are also various companies offering packages. I did try to book a hotel once but they're all tied up well beforehand.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27043
    My Dad has been to the LM24 a few times with car club mates and I can confirm it is *definitely* a big, car-centric piss-up. In the middle of France, where the weather is always shit but the wine is great. What's not to love?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    The weather? Every time I've been it's rained!

• rlwrlw Frets: 4699
    I have been to all of the hottest races - the first in 1981 was the hottest ever, then followed by three more and it was fucking hot.  At the same time, it rained for every one of those years and not just showers but biblical deluges....
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22140
    edited June 2015
    My Dad has been to the LM24 a few times with car club mates and I can confirm it is *definitely* a big, car-centric piss-up. In the middle of France, where the weather is always shit but the wine is great. What's not to love?
    I missed about two hours of it to catch some sleep, woke up again before 6am to resume watching. Seeing the guys in sleeping bags on random bits of grass was awesome. 

I'd like to catch some of the Blancpain Endurance next year. Silverstone had good support races this year with the like of the Lamborghini Super Trofeo. 

Ultimate trip for me would be the Bathurst 12 Hour. Best course in the world.

Just been checking some Le Mans package prices. http://www.traveldestinations.co.uk Not cheap!

• Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    The LM24 is basically a piss up with cars. Not quite as fun or as cheap as it once was - you used to pay about half what it is now as recent as 2010. Still great fun as your ticket gives access to the pits on the Friday and the track for the week. I first went in '89 when they still had a few strip shows trackside. Which was fantastic if you're a 12 year old boy....but the track was a lot more open/dangerous now it's more controlled and they like to make money. However a bargain compared to the Brit GP!
    To be fair I've been both baked and drenched at lemans - sometimes both at the same time.
    Last time I went, I took the Cobra without a soft top. It pissed down so much I had to open the doors to let the water out.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Wasn't 2007 was it?
    No, I think it was 1996?

My old man was there then - 2007 was really wet. Had to dig a ditch around the tent and there was hours behind the safety car as the track was submerged in places!
    edited June 2015
    I think it was that year that we heard a lot of noise on the campsite, went to see what it was, and some young bloke had ran his XJS V12 into, and partially up, a tree. It was at about 45 degrees. He was OK, but it turned out it was his dad's pride and joy, and he'd 'borrowed' it to go to Le Mans without the old man's permission. 

Wouldn't have wanted to be in his shoes when he went home. "Dad, it's like this............."

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    Meanwhile, back on topic - another shit day for Maclaren...
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9678
    Was lucky enough to be at the Austrian GP today. Strange moment when I went to the loo and realised I was standing next to Gerhard Berger taking a leak. Looked twice to make sure before it crossed my mind that looking at someone else in the gents is almost certainly a no-no.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Nitefly said:
    Meanwhile, back on topic - another shit day for Maclaren...
    A shit day for F1. That was so boring .....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    My V key is broken