The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4835
    edited April 2018
    Bottas quickest, and although they've sandbagged in other P1 sessions Ferrari well off the pace. Worried about their trick paddle being spotted perhaps, and potential penalties? One theory is it's exhaust blowing for aero improvements.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

Better he does it in practice than the race.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Boromedic said:
    Bottas quickest, and although they've sandbagged in other P1 sessions Ferrari well off the pace. Worried about their trick paddle being spotted perhaps, and potential penalties? One theory is it's exhaust blowing for aero improvements.
    More information here: http://www.marca.com/en/more-sports/2018/04/24/5adf5d66e5fdea2d2e8b46aa.html

Could be they switched it off for practice so as not to stress the engine. This would explain the difference in performance from FP1, 2 and 3 and Q2 and 3.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Yeah probably likely whatever it is, heck of a performance deficit if it is just exhaust blowing. Although I'd expect it's an engine boost with exhaust benefits like the article suggests. Explains Vettels speed too, he was master of corner entry and exit speeds with the Red Bull at the height of exhaust blowing.

Max whacks the wall again but keeps going .. :-)

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Non F1 news.....Jenson Button’s entered the WEC driving for SMP in the LMP1 class, he’s missing Spa so his first race will be Le Mans! 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
    He's doing the full Super GT season for Honda also.  2nd place in the opener.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22162
    edited April 2018
    sinbaadi said:
    He's doing the full Super GT season for Honda also.  2nd place in the opener.
    And here he is. Nice to have a complete in-car stint.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Looks more like bumper car racing to me.

Looks more like bumper car racing to me.
    Okayama is like that as a circuit. Having two different racing categories around one circuit is a bit tight. 

So yesterday in FP Ferrari were nowhere. Today they are magically much faster and 1 & 2 thus far. Party mode engaged ...

It will be worth watching the start tomorrow .. how Kimi will regret his wobble ...

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
    Fretwired said:
    It will be worth watching the start tomorrow .. how Kimi will regret his wobble ...
    Gutted for Kimi - that was looking like some lap.  I always get the feeling if Kimi gave a shit, he'd be up there with the quickest guys.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Vettel's magic paddle slowed Kimi down...
    edited April 2018
    Definitely something on that car which adds a power boost and is then blowing the exhaust. Coupled with Friday engine preservation possibly due to the new rules. Hell of a performance difference Fri to Sat at all GPs with Baku being the largest. Thought Kimi was gonna have it at the end there! 

Seb needs a stable car that's predictable and he is then super quick, same as at Red Bull. This paddle may just be giving him that stability. Let's see if the FIA take any action after they've had a closer look, might just be that Ferrari have found a loophole in the regs, a la Brawn. Still with Todt in charge and the former Ferrari tech director in scrutineering........

Race should be chaos as usual, expect Verstappen in the wall at some point.

The AverageBot beats the Kimi again despite Ferrari now being appointed 'best car 2018'. 

Did anyone see Bernie Ecclestone on Sky F1? He looks like a cross between a Jazz Club performer and a just prior to regeneration Time Lord. 

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24181/11346949/lewis-hamilton-is-not-the-racer-he-once-was-says-bernie-ecclestone

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2018
    The AverageBot beats the Kimi again despite Ferrari now being appointed 'best car 2018'. 

Did anyone see Bernie Ecclestone on Sky F1? He looks like a cross between a Jazz Club performer and a just prior to regeneration Time Lord. 

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24181/11346949/lewis-hamilton-is-not-the-racer-he-once-was-says-bernie-ecclestone
    AverageBot didn't beat Kimi ... Kimi out braked himself pushing hard. AverageBot is average so will sometimes seem to do well when the top guys overdo things trying to push. The hare and the tortoise. I doubt he'll be at Merc next year It will be interesting tomorrow as on paper Hamilton is faster than Vettel on super soft and the cooler temps should favour the Merc.

Fretwired said:
    AverageBot didn't beat Kimi ... Kimi out braked himself pushing hard. AverageBot is average so will sometimes seem to do well when the top guys overdo things trying to push. The hare and the tortoise. I doubt he'll be at Merc next year It will be interesting tomorrow as on paper Hamilton is faster than Vettel on super soft and the cooler temps should favour the Merc.

So AverageBot makes a mistake in Australia during qualifying and you nail him. Kimi fucks up here and he's still one of the 'top guys'. If he ever wins a race for the Prancing Horse, I think a national holiday should be called for. Max and Kimi on the same row should be fun tomorrow. 

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Fretwired said:

Bottas vs Massa:

2014, 6 podiums, 17 points finishes and 186 points vs 3 podiums, 11 points finishes and 134 points.
    2015, 2 podiums, 13 points finishes and 136 points vs 2 podiums, 13 points finishes and 121 points
    2016, 1 podium, 15 points finishes and 85 points vs 13 points finishes and 53 points.

Raikkonen vs Massa:

2007: WDC, 6 wins, 11 podiums, 15 points finishes, 110 points vs 3 wins, 10 podiums, 14 points finishes, 94 points
    2008: 2 wins, 9 podiums, 12 points finishes, 75 points vs 6* wins, 10 podiums, 13** points finishes and 97 points

* -Includes Belgium which is a truly disgusting moment in motorsport.
    ** - Includes Fuji where Ferrari International Assistance triggered the new stewarding rules for subsequent seasons and T1L1 rules being amended.

There isn't much between Kimi and Massa. Bottas is a step above Massa.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2018
    Garthy said:
    Fretwired said:

Bottas vs Massa:

2014, 6 podiums, 17 points finishes and 186 points vs 3 podiums, 11 points finishes and 134 points.
    2015, 2 podiums, 13 points finishes and 136 points vs 2 podiums, 13 points finishes and 121 points
    2016, 1 podium, 15 points finishes and 85 points vs 13 points finishes and 53 points.

Raikkonen vs Massa:

2007: WDC, 6 wins, 11 podiums, 15 points finishes, 110 points vs 3 wins, 10 podiums, 14 points finishes, 94 points
    2008: 2 wins, 9 podiums, 12 points finishes, 75 points vs 6* wins, 10 podiums, 13** points finishes and 97 points

* -Includes Belgium which is a truly disgusting moment in motorsport.
    ** - Includes Fuji where Ferrari International Assistance triggered the new stewarding rules for subsequent seasons and T1L1 rules being amended.

There isn't much between Kimi and Massa. Bottas is a step above Massa.
    I agree with you .. I'm merely pointing out how things get reported in F1 as in 'Hamilton's mistake at the last corner gifted Vettel pole' ... :-)

I think with the top three teams are so close that they need drivers who can hustle a car around the track to make an extra 3/10ths that the car hasn't got. Hamilton can do it (he did it yesterday) as can Vettel, Alonso and Vestappen. Kimi was doing the right thing and was on for pole, but screwed it up. Bottas was nowhere. It's the difference between a good driver and a great driver.

Bottas is a great wing man but he's been shown wanting and whilst Woolf wouldn't openly criticise him there's a general view that if Hamilton had been behind Vettel at the last race he'd have got past. Bottas was too timid and tentative chasing a car with seriously worn tyres.

There are rumours that Ricciardo is likely to go to Mercedes next year - when asked he just smiled.

The race should be interesting tomorrow with at least one safety car so Mercedes better have their strategy right for once or the Bulls and Ferrari will pounce.