The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4921
    Well, it was a fun race...

Vettel was weaving around, speeding up & slowing down to try and get back at Hamilton after last year.

Bottas drive a good race and lost out because they didn't clean the track properly after having the safety car out for ages.

Verstappen changed direction twice under braking (not the first time) and gave Ricciardo nowhere to go; up until then I though they'd been having a rather enjoyable race.

Good on Vettel for having a go at the restart to try and pass Bottas, but he lost out to the laws of physics.

I bet Grosjean feels a bit of a plonker.

Raikonnen took out one Force India, but the other got a podium.

Alonso had fairly mundane race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Fretwired said:
    Wolff moaning about debris on the track causing Averagebot's puncture.
    I think he has a point. TV footage clearly shows Bottas drive over a chunk of debris and seconds later he has a puncture.
    I think the debris in question was as a result of the Gasly/Magnussen incident which had only just happened and didn’t get shown on the world feed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Fretwired said:
    Wolff moaning about debris on the track causing Averagebot's puncture.
    I think he has a point. TV footage clearly shows Bottas drive over a chunk of debris and seconds later he has a puncture.
    Erm, it’s a race circuit... it’s gonna happen... if Mr Wolff can’t deal with that then maybe he needs to consider a career change.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited May 2018
    From the BBC:

Formula 1 has introduced rule changes for the 2019 season aimed at making overtaking easier and promoting closer racing.

The modifications to the cars have been based on research aimed at finding ways of making it less difficult for one car to follow closely behind another.

"The studies indicated a likelihood of a positive impact on racing and overtaking," the FIA said.

It amounts to a victory for FIA and F1 after opposition from some teams.

The changes are:
    • a simplified front wing, with a larger span, and less "out-wash potential"
    • simplified brake ducts with no winglets
    • wider and deeper rear wing
    The changes came out of research being undertaken by the FIA and rights holders F1 for larger rule changes aimed at the 2021 season, for which the sport is planning a major overhaul of technical, sporting and financial arrangements.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7419
    siremoon said:
    Cols said:
    Fretwired said:
    Hamilton has reported Vettel to the FIA for his restart from a safety car procedure. He believes his stop start antics could cause an accident and are against the rules.
    Lewis has an excellent point here; Vettel was driving as unpredictably as possible in the run up to the restart in order to destabilise those behind him.  It’s the prerogative of the leading driver to set the pace after the safety car pulls in, but he took the piss a bit in this case.
    Mr Whiting has reportedly said he didn't see anything wrong with it
    No - he referred it to the stewards - it was them who said no issue - and there are drivers who disagree with that 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ColsCols Frets: 7002
    TimmyO said:
    siremoon said:
    Cols said:
    Fretwired said:
    Hamilton has reported Vettel to the FIA for his restart from a safety car procedure. He believes his stop start antics could cause an accident and are against the rules.
    Lewis has an excellent point here; Vettel was driving as unpredictably as possible in the run up to the restart in order to destabilise those behind him.  It’s the prerogative of the leading driver to set the pace after the safety car pulls in, but he took the piss a bit in this case.
    Mr Whiting has reportedly said he didn't see anything wrong with it
    No - he referred it to the stewards - it was them who said no issue - and there are drivers who disagree with that 
    Whiting said at a media briefing after the race on Sunday: "I think they controlled it very well but it's up to the leading driver only. Unlike other series they have an acceleration zone, a 300-metre zone where they can accelerate and I do not see any problem at all.".

Sounds like Charlie wasn’t concerned, but passed it on to the stewards as a matter of courtesy.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22132
    prowla said:

Sure, if you take out that bit when he's driving around for a lap with no front wing and only two intact tyres, before spending the rest of the race in a damaged car that's missing large bits of floor. DUll as ruddy ditchwater!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    prowla said:

Sure, if you take out that bit when he's driving around for a lap with no front wing and only two intact tyres, before spending the rest of the race in a damaged car that's missing large bits of floor. DUll as ruddy ditchwater!
    I thought Alonso had a good race. Showed he's still a top driver. Put him in a Merc and he'd run rings round AverageBot .. ;-)

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4802
    Would love to see them put on a one make support series at the GP weekend, all of the grid in the same motors. Would be class, either single seaters or touring cars or something. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Boromedic said:
    Would love to see them put on a one make support series at the GP weekend, all of the grid in the same motors. Would be class, either single seaters or touring cars or something. 
    F2, GP3 and Porsche Supercup are spec support races.
    Garthy said:
    Boromedic said:
    F2, GP3 and Porsche Supercup are spec support races.
    I believe @Boromedic meant the Grand Prix drivers being put into single spec cars as a support race.
    edited May 2018
    Yeah, cheers @Cols that would be awesome if it was like that Procar Series! ;)

I did mean the actual current F1 drivers doing a race on the Saturday maybe for the fans in the same motors, nice leveller and fun for the guys spending money on tickets.

Boromedic said:
    Ta-da. Some Brazilian bloke won. 

Boromedic said:

I did mean the actual current F1 drivers doing a race on the Saturday maybe for the fans in the same motors, nice leveller and fun for the guys spending money on tickets.
    That's why I like Goodwood so much. Old cars coupled with good drivers. 

Boromedic said:

Never heard of him.
    Boromedic said:

That's why I like Goodwood so much. Old cars coupled with good drivers. 
    Can't argue with that .. :-)

Boromedic said:

Awesome!! Something like that would be brilliant. 

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    Excellent article on Alonso's race. Winning a race in the best car is something a few drivers could do. Taking a car that is shit fully intact and on paper even more shit when broken into a good points finish is the mark of someone truly special with a car. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/43973625

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom