The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited April 2018
    Fretwired said:
    AverageBot didn't beat Kimi ... Kimi out braked himself pushing hard. AverageBot is average so will sometimes seem to do well when the top guys overdo things trying to push. The hare and the tortoise. I doubt he'll be at Merc next year It will be interesting tomorrow as on paper Hamilton is faster than Vettel on super soft and the cooler temps should favour the Merc.

So AverageBot makes a mistake in Australia during qualifying and you nail him. Kimi fucks up here and he's still one of the 'top guys'. If he ever wins a race for the Prancing Horse, I think a national holiday should be called for. Max and Kimi on the same row should be fun tomorrow. 
    I didn't say Kimi was one of the top guys. Personally I don't think Bottas or Kimi should be in F1. Neither is good enough IMHO. They are both flattered by having a good car. There will be  a major shake out over the next few years as there are some seriously good youngsters out there and there are some fast guys in the mid field like Perez.

Kimi cocked up yesterday. Bottas cocked up in Oz. There are fine margins in F1. Bottas is only at Mercedes because Rosberg quit. He only got a one year contract extension so Woolf is not convinced about him long term.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    "Averagebot". LOL!

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22162
    And gooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Kimi!

And that's some awesome crabbing from Alonso. 

edited April 2018
    Fretwired said:
    I didn't say Kimi was one of the top guys. Personally I don't think Bottas or Kimi should be in F1. Neither is good enough IMHO. They are both flattered by having a good car. There will be  a major shake out over the next few years as there are some seriously good youngsters out there and there are some fast guys in the mid field like Perez.

Kimi cocked up yesterday. Bottas cocked up in Oz. There are fine margins in F1. Bottas is only at Mercedes because Rosberg quit. He only got a one year contract extension so Woolf is not convinced about him long term.

Bottas more than showed with Williams that he was good enough for F1. Perez does have pace but he demonstrated at McLaren that he wasn't mentally able to be a number 2 and he didn't look any better than Ocon last yer at Force India, who demonstrated a very level headed driving style. Perez has good sponsorship so will always get a team but he's not good enough to be a number 1 driver nor level enough as a number 2. Carlos Sainz Jr and Ocon undoubtedly so, the Hulk likewise. 

There are some good young drivers out there (I don't include Lando Norris in that because he's totally unproven in F1. Plenty of people have won big in junior categories and then flopped in the big league. Just ask Jolyon Palmer). If Alonso and Kimi go, you lose a lot of experience. 

Another shit street race where safety cars and random debris makes it a lottery. Shit luck for AverageBot and well played Max and Danny for demonstrating why Mercedes didn't go for two number 1 drivers. 

Wake me up when Canada comes around. 

Another shit street race where safety cars and random debris makes it a lottery. Shit luck for AverageBot and well played Max and Danny for demonstrating why Mercedes didn't go for two number 1 drivers. 

AverageBot was unlucky but credit to Vettel for having a go rather than just settling for second.

Fretwired said:
    AverageBot was unlucky but credit to Vettel for having a go rather than just settling for second.
    It was a pretty lousy attempt to overtake. If Vettel loses the championship by 6 points at the end of the year, it doesn't look like such a wise move. 

Fuck Baku. Eddie Jordan is jumping around talking of excitement but it's like watching two cricket teams batting on a minefield. You get wickets, nobody knows who will win, but so much is decided by luck. 

Disagree. I think it's a great race that tests the drivers - incident filled. I'd dump Monaco.

You need two top drivers. Ferrari now lead the constructors championship. AverageBot isn't a racer and that's the issue. Sure he scores points, but I still think Mercedes will opt for someone else. And to be fair Ricciardo rarely makes mistakes.

Fretwired said:
    It was a pretty lousy attempt to overtake. If Vettel loses the championship by 6 points at the end of the year, it doesn't look like such a wise move. 

Fuck Baku. Eddie Jordan is jumping around talking of excitement but it's like watching two cricket teams batting on a minefield. You get wickets, nobody knows who will win, but so much is decided by luck. 
    I'd say it sorts out the racers from the boys. One mistake and you'll in the wall - Vettel showed a racers mentality. Bottas didn't even try to shut the door. Sure Vettel overcooked it but at least he was willing to go for the win.

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    edited April 2018
    I think there were only a couple of bits of luck/misfortune in that race and both were for and against Bottas. First he get's the break of the safety car at the right time and second picks up the puncture. The rest of the excitement was driver based I'd say. And at least it was exciting!
    Agreed I'd definitely drop Monaco before Baku. The former is always a procession.
    @Heartfeltdawn did you have money on Verstappen or something? You sound quite agrieved.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    FX_Munkee said:
    I think there were only a couple of bits of luck/misfortune in that race and both were for and against Bottas. First he get's the break of the safety car at the right time and second picks up the puncture. The rest of the excitement was driver based I'd say. And at least it was exciting!

I agree. Bottas was a steady Eddy .. at one point Hamilton pulled a 6.5 second lead over Bottas and Vettel was over 10 seconds ahead. Bottas had the luck of the safety car. That said you deserve some luck so getting a puncture was tough on Bottas. Would have good to see if Hamilton would have attacked for the win or backed-off and taken the points. I'd bet on the former.

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3909
    Well, there you have it. Coulthard and Jordan both confirmed a safety car makes racing more exciting.

And Grosbag spoiled the ending.
    Fretwired said:

Disagree. I think it's a great race that tests the drivers - incident filled. I'd dump Monaco.

You need two top drivers. Ferrari now lead the constructors championship. AverageBot isn't a racer and that's the issue. Sure he scores points, but I still think Mercedes will opt for someone else. And to be fair Ricciardo rarely makes mistakes.

Fretwired said:
    I'd say it sorts out the racers from the boys. One mistake and you'll in the wall - Vettel showed a racers mentality. Bottas didn't even try to shut the door. Sure Vettel overcooked it but at least he was willing to go for the win.

1. I'm not a fan of street circuits for the debris-related and punted off incidents. Far too many of them. It's like Singapore. And we always agree on dumping Monaco. I much prefer a circuit like Montreal or Watkins Glen to shitty street circuits like Baku or Macau. 

2. Ricciardo doesn't make mistakes often but Red Bull are now on 55 points and quite a way behind already in third place in the CC. Kind of brings into mind Webber's infamous comment about being a number 2. 

3. "Bottas didn't even try to shut the door" - quite right. When you see a red car behind you on a kamikaze move involving a completed missed breaking point whilst trying to take a line that misses the apex by a country mile, trying to shut the door would have been a disaster. 

4. "I'd say it sorts out the racers from the boys." - Four words to disprove that: Lance Stroll podium 2017. 

FX_Munkee said:

@Heartfeltdawn did you have money on Verstappen or something? You sound quite agrieved.

@FX_Munkee I'll break things down:

-Fret and I have a long running comedy hour called "I rate Bottas higher than Fret does", from which came the creation of the AverageBot. It revolves around that and my belief that Kimi's been a fucking waste of space for the last two seasons.

Quite how that translates into me having a thing/money/undying crush on Verstappen is beyond me so feel free to explain. 

Fretwired said:
    I agree. Bottas was a steady Eddy .. at one point Hamilton pulled a 6.5 second lead over Bottas and Vettel was over 10 seconds ahead. Bottas had the luck of the safety car. That said you deserve some luck so getting a puncture was tough on Bottas. Would have good to see if Hamilton would have attacked for the win or backed-off and taken the points. I'd bet on the former.
    Yep. AverageBot got the first safety car call going right his way. The puncture was lousy and EJ was quite right in saying it was very poor for stuff to still be on the circuit if it was there during the safety car period at the end. 

Fretwired said:
    Yep. AverageBot got the first safety car call going right his way. The puncture was lousy and EJ was quite right in saying it was very poor for stuff to still be on the circuit if it was there during the safety car period at the end. 
    I agree with you .. and I agree Kimi has been poor for the last two seasons. And I wonder if the lack of a Rosberg is affecting Hamilton. He's someone that needs a competitive driver to push him.

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Kimi has been a waste of space for ten years.
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1108
    Garthy said:
    Kimi has been a waste of space for ten years.
    Kimi at his peak...

• ColsCols Frets: 7013
    edited April 2018

The accident: Verstappen’s fault.  He did his usual schtick of moving around under braking, and it cost both him and the team.

The race: Fortune favoured Hamilton today.  Vettel should’ve won it, Bottas could’ve won it, Lewis did win it.  Such is the way of things in F1.

Cols said:

The accident: Verstappen’s fault.  He did his usual schtick of moving around under braking, and it cost both him and the team.

The race: Fortune favoured Hamilton today.  Vettel should’ve won it, Bottas could’ve won it, Lewis did win it.  Such is the way of things in F1.

Agree. Hamilton said as much. But then again Hamilton should have won in China - Vettel said as much - but was let down by bad strategy. I thought it an exciting race. I wonder if that's the tipping point for Ricciardo?

At least this year is exciting - had Hamilton won all four races we'd be calling it a snoozefest. The fact Ferrari are quicker is making it interesting. Good to see McLaren and Williams scoring points.