The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4844
    Hahahaha, think you'll be on the money there Sticky! You back in the land of sand yet? We should have that coffee post Ramadan maybe?

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27126
    Boromedic said:
    Hahahaha, think you'll be on the money there Sticky! You back in the land of sand yet? We should have that coffee post Ramadan maybe?
    Yeah, i'm here - coffee etc sounds good! 

Though I'm currently home with a dodgy ankle so not very mobile. Though that makes Ramadan much easier!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Boromedic said:
    No but I bet they were awesome, I think the F1 race is going to have plenty of incidents too. I'd love to see Lando make a race team next year, he's as good as Le Clerc and Ocon for me.
    Spot on .. Mad Max is coming from the back. At least the front runners should make it to the first corner. Ricciardo for the win unless his usual luck holds in which case he'll come fifth.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Boromedic said:
    Yeah, i'm here - coffee etc sounds good! 

Though I'm currently home with a dodgy ankle so not very mobile. Though that makes Ramadan much easier!
    Cool, will get in touch once Eid kicks off!

Fretwired said:
    Boromedic said:
    No but I bet they were awesome, I think the F1 race is going to have plenty of incidents too. I'd love to see Lando make a race team next year, he's as good as Le Clerc and Ocon for me.
    Spot on .. Mad Max is coming from the back. At least the front runners should make it to the first corner. Ricciardo for the win unless his usual luck holds in which case he'll come fifth.
    Dinner is about to go in the oven, then the race is on.... can't wait!

edited May 2018
    RAINING!!! (even if only a little bit - hopefully a bit more will come through the race to make it interesting)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Brundle just suggested Ricciardo not having a teammate to fend off the other cars might be a hindrance, but I imagine he's thrilled Max is no danger right now!
  • ColsCols Frets: 7036
    Brundle just suggested Ricciardo not having a teammate to fend off the other cars might be a hindrance, but I imagine he's thrilled Max is no danger right now!
    Reasonably sure Max wouldn’t be overly keen on playing tail gunner to his team mate under normal circumstances.  Maybe he’ll be nice to Ricciardo while he’s being lapped by him today.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22190

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    For Monaco that was entertaining .. the slowest laps in history .. ;-)

Hamilton had some cheeky help .. Riccardio was awesome ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    edited May 2018
    The best dry Monaco in a long time. Not a lot of on-track action but a great drive from DR.

Someone needs to get him a car that can fight for a whole season
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The best dry Monaco in a long time. Not a lot of on-track action...
    Off-track though I have made an absolutely bitching salted caramel and apple crumble. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Indy 500 - way more interesting than Monaco. 

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    Garthy said:
    The suspicions around the Ferrari hybrid system stem from them being missiles on the straights.

I notice that Merc aren't behind Haas.
    Qualy comments (I'm on holiday and a bit behind)

Yes, the predicted collapse of Merc performance - didn't someone predict they'd struggle to achieve Q3? - was notable by its absence. Haas absolutely nowhere. Alonso and Ocon did well. 

Hamilton purpled the first sector but was slower than Bottas in the last. I suspect he had a 2nd place in him, Vettel did well to deny him. 
    So we now know that you can win Monaco with a 200hp deficit. Track position and aero being paramount. 

Max had the most overtakes of his F1 career and all clean. There is hope for him yet. 

Ocon proving he is the obvious replacement for Bottas. 

Ricciardo proving he's the obvious replacement for Raikkonen. 

Whatever the waffle was about McLaren and Haas beasting Mercedes was just hot air. 

Williams are in terrible trouble. 

Newey has still got it.

• brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    I think the Sainz overtake was less than clean... but ok.
    Fretwired said:
    For Monaco that was entertaining .. the slowest laps in history .. ;-)

Hamilton had some cheeky help .. Riccardio was awesome ...
    actually the fastest lap of Monaco ever. 
    Fretwired said:
    Boromedic said:
    Cheers Fret, I hadn't seen that pre race information, looks like he had decided to avoid it post race then. Strange though he says it was a pre season testing problem as Mercedes were the quickest overall. Definitely a temperature issue as like last year Mercedes went better at the cooler circuits.

Yep Monaco will be a struggle for them, not sure on not making Q3 like, think they'll be fine for that. However Lewis commented on how good the aero package is on the Red Bull and that they are the main threat in terms of victory. I reckon Lewis might just squeeze a podium though.
    Not sure about a podium - I think it will be a Red Bull/Ferrari lockout. Woolf is concerned that the Mercs lost serious amounts of time to Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren (Alonso) in the final twisty section of the Barcelona track. That doesn't bode well for Monaco - having the most powerful engine in F1 is of no benefit if you're car can't go round a corner as fast as the competition. Merc could even struggle against Haas.
    This analysis was way off the mark. 
    Garthy said:
    To build on that, where the utter fuck did this guff about Haas beating Merc come from? 
    This analysis was spot on. 
    Fretwired said:
    Not sure about a podium - I think it will be a Red Bull/Ferrari lockout. Woolf is concerned that the Mercs lost serious amounts of time to Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren (Alonso) in the final twisty section of the Barcelona track. That doesn't bode well for Monaco - having the most powerful engine in F1 is of no benefit if you're car can't go round a corner as fast as the competition. Merc could even struggle against Haas.

Cols said:
    The Mercs were apparently losing a lot of time in the wriggly final section at Barcelona, so they’re worried about the twists and turns of Monaco; even Haas might be a threat to them.

Hamilton wasn't losing any time in the final sector at Barcelona in race trim, in fact he was 3rd fastest in that sector and 4th in the other two.

Bottas was indeed slower, he went from 3rd to 5th. 

Ricciardo was quick in all three sectors, he just couldn't manage to convert it to a decent finish position.

Max clearly loved the final sector, going from 5th to 2nd.

Qualy did show a greater differential for the Mercs in the final sector, but the HAAS has never been faster than a Mercedes, even in the final sector.

My final point - I've never heard of this correlation between the final sector of Barcelona and performance in Monaco before.  It's a new one on me.  Where has it come from, and is it really true?  Having reviewed historical data I can find no correlation at all.  Just to pick one example, Vettel was considerably slower in the final sector of Barcelona last year (5th instead of 2nd in the other two sectors) yet qualified second in Monaco and won the race.

Just to recap from my analysis of the final sector in Barcelona. 

It does contradict my opinion that Barca Sector 3 doesn't predict Monaco performance, but...

Ricciardo was the fastest in the 3rd sector in Barca. 

Hamilton was the 3rd fastest. 

Bottas was 5th. 

I should have put a bet on. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom