The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    PS it also suggests Max would have finished 2nd. If he wasn't so crashy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Garthy said:
    To build on that, where the utter fuck did this guff about Haas beating Merc come from? 
    This analysis was spot on. 
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing .. Gene Haas doesn't understand why his team didn't do better.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:
    For Monaco that was entertaining .. the slowest laps in history .. ;-)

Hamilton had some cheeky help .. Riccardio was awesome ...
    actually the fastest lap of Monaco ever. 
    Not during the race .. Riccardio was slow. I'm sure someone went fast but Ricciado set a record for being slow (when compared to the pole time) as his car was wounded.

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22189
    So we now know that you can win Monaco with a 200hp deficit. Track position and aero being paramount. 

Max had the most overtakes of his F1 career and all clean. There is hope for him yet. 

Ocon proving he is the obvious replacement for Bottas. 

Ricciardo proving he's the obvious replacement for Raikkonen. 

Whatever the waffle was about McLaren and Haas beasting Mercedes was just hot air. 

Williams are in terrible trouble. 

Newey has still got it.

"Most overtakes" = when that list of overtakes include two guys driving Williams cars that I could overtake on rollerblades, it's not that amazing. 

Best moment of the race was hearing Stroll whining about his car. As you say, aero at Monaco is important: the crap at the back clearly have shit aero.

Why replace Bottas? 

Newey never lost it. But it's one track and it's the only track all year really where the lead guy could have huge technical issues and still win. 

edited May 2018
    So we now know that you can win Monaco with a 200hp deficit. Track position and aero being paramount. 

Max had the most overtakes of his F1 career and all clean. There is hope for him yet. 

Ocon proving he is the obvious replacement for Bottas. 

Ricciardo proving he's the obvious replacement for Raikkonen. 

Whatever the waffle was about McLaren and Haas beasting Mercedes was just hot air. 

Williams are in terrible trouble. 

Newey has still got it.

You're analysis of F1 is pretty poor pal ...

Max had a fast car and was at the back .. the same would have happened whether it was Max, Hamilton, Vettel or Raikkonen.  Max is pretty poor at the moment. Bad decison making .. too many crashes.

I have criticised Bottas but he's not going anywhere. He's upped his game and he gets on well with Hamilton. Bottas will stay at Mercedes.

Waffle or not Haas have been fast but didn't perform today and Mercedes did better than Woolf thought. Haas basically has a Ferrari and their car should have suited Monaco better than Mercedes. I think the tyres played a big part .. not even Ferrari could them them to work.

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Fretwired said:
    Garthy said:
    To build on that, where the utter fuck did this guff about Haas beating Merc come from? 
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing .. Gene Haas doesn't understand why his team didn't do better.
    How is it hindsight when I said it two weeks ago?
  • ColsCols Frets: 7036
    Garthy said:
    Yeah, I called that one wrong.  Haas had a wretched weekend; apparently they needed to remove barge board elements as they proved too fragile for Monaco.

On the other hand, I was absolutely right about Max sticking it in the wall at some point over the weekend.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4931
    I nodded off a couple of times watching it.

A rubbish race on a rubbish track where nobody could push on their rubbish tyres which they wouldn't change because they'd have lost track position and been unable to overtake.

Sure it's challenging for the drivers to keep up the intensity and concentration on a track where taking your eye off the ball for a moment will have you into the armco, but spectator-wise nothing happened.

The highlight was Ricciardo getting the Royalty to drink out of his boot!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:

Not during the race .. Riccardio was slow. I'm sure someone went fast but Ricciado set a record for being slow (when compared to the pole time) as his car was wounded.
    Get your facts right "pal", Max set the lap record during the race. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27126
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:

Certainly the fastest lap of the race and fastest ever in-race lap, but still not the lap record
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

Cracking performance by Ricciardo, but if he was supposedly 200bhp down, surely Vettel would have been right up his chuff, and he was nowhere near? Odd. Maybe tyres?

Stroll needs to, errr, take a stroll, preferably to pushchair racing, or something similar.

Max at least kept it clean, and still managed points, so maybe he learnt something there?

Hamster. Quit your whining. It's becoming tiresome.

Overall I thought it was good for Monaco, but a track extension can't come soon enough.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:

No he didn't .... :-)

From the BBC:

Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso criticised the Monaco Grand Prix - saying it was "not really racing" and "the most boring race ever".

Drivers were lapping several seconds off the pace as they managed tyres to ensure they were able to do only one pit stop.

Hamilton said: "We were just cruising around from lap six, literally cruising. So it wasn't really racing.

"If that was exciting for you to watch, no problem."

Alonso, giving his reaction to the race, said: "Extremely boring. This is probably the most boring race ever."

Hamilton, who said the race was "the longest 78 laps ever", added in his BBC Sport interview: "It was a super-unexciting race for everyone."

A fan who was listening in shouted: "Most boring race ever."

Hamilton responded: "Thank God you said it. I thought I was the only one. Wow, it was intensely boring. Oh my God, yes.

"We are driving at high speed, there is not a lot of action, you're just trying to bring it home, for 56 laps. Oh my God, it was long.

"Forty laps to go, I was like, Oh God, please. When it finished, I was like, 'thank goodness'."

Race winner Daniel Ricciardo said that because of the tight nature of the circuit he was able to dictate a slower pace, but added: "I don't think we'll be able to maintain that kind of rhythm on a track like Montreal.

:-) :-)

• Electro_HamElectro_Ham Frets: 102
    That race actually put me to sleep.....for an hour. When I woke up, I initially thought they were behind the pace car as it looked soooooooo slow. (They were not behind any type of pace car when I woke.)
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I think they should make Monaco a non championship round and have them all driving round in some sort of spec car, or classics maybe. Imagine that lot driving round in Mini Clubmans for example... I’d watch that.
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:

Certainly the fastest lap of the race and fastest ever in-race lap, but still not the lap record
    The context is an F1 race. Max has the F1 race lap record. 
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:

The context is an F1 race. Max has the F1 race lap record. 
    Oh, for God’s sake.  Handbags down, both of you.

Ricciardo has the ultimate lap record on the current track configuration from qualifying.  Verstappen fought his way through from the back of the grid and has the race lap record, while Ricciardo managed a significant loss of power to take a well-deserved win.

Can we please just accept that both of them did well in the race under difficult circumstances?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    From the Times .. I wonder if McClaren will eventually quit F1?

McLaren plan to race in IndyCar series

McLaren are considering entering IndyCar racing next year in a move that could see Fernando Alonso switch to the North American series.

Zak Brown, the British team’s chief executive, will travel to Detroit this weekend to meet two leading IndyCar teams to discuss joining forces. He will be accompanied by Gil de Ferran, the two-times IndyCar champion and Indy 500 winner, who has recently joined McLaren as a consultant.

IndyCar teams can enter three or four cars and it is understood that McLaren’s plan is to partner an existing team next year before a potential move to go it alone. America is the biggest market for McLaren’s road cars and they are eager to make a bigger push into the country. The financial commitment would not be too big either. In Formula One, teams can spend anywhere from $100 million (about £75 million) a year up to $400 million in the case of Ferrari. In IndyCar, the biggest budgets are about $15 million a year for the top teams.

McLaren competed in the Indianapolis 500 last year, partnering with Andretti Autosport and badging the car as a McLaren-Honda-Andretti with Alonso driving. He led for 27 laps and was running seventh when his Honda engine expired. The team are understood to have been looking at a permanent move since then.

The Spaniard missed last year’s Monaco Grand Prix to race in the showpiece of the IndyCar calendar because of his frustration with the uncompetitive nature of the McLaren car in Formula One.

If McLaren do go ahead with their foray into IndyCar, speculation will mount that Alonso will join their American team, particularly as De Ferran was the man who worked closely with the Spaniard during his stint in Indianapolis last year.

McLaren have not won a Formula One race since the Brazilian Grand Prix in 2012. They have finished ninth in the constructors’ championship in two of the past three seasons and last year made a late call to ditch Honda as their engine supplier.

Now with a Renault engine powering the car, McLaren are still not sufficiently competitive. Their poor performances will mean that questions will be asked as to whether this is the right time for them to be expanding. However, sources within the team told The Times that the assessment had been that any move into Indy would not have an impact on the Formula One team. Indeed, McLaren consider the financial benefits of Indy to be attractive.

Alonso, who is contracted to drive for McLaren this year with an option for next year, has made no secret of his desire to race competitively and was damning of the Monaco Grand Prix last weekend, describing it as “probably the most boring race ever”. He later tweeted a picture of himself watching this year’s Indy 500 with the caption: “Ready to watch and enjoy the RACE of the day”.

The two-times world champion is also eager to fulfil his goal of winning the motor racing triple crown — victory at the Monaco Grand Prix, which he won for Renault in 2006 and McLaren in 2007, the Indy 500 and the Le Mans 24-hour race. Only one driver, Graham Hill, has achieved that. Alonso will race at Le Mans for the first time next month.

McLaren are expected to make a decision on IndyCar next month, which will then need to be signed off by their shareholders and the board.

Fretwired said:
    From the Times .. I wonder if McClaren will eventually quit F1?

McLaren plan to race in Indy Cars

More likely it would be run in parallel to the F1 operation.  Mclaren’s reputation is for advanced technology, and with Indy Car being a single spec series with a Dallara chassis it wouldn’t serve the group ethos.

Assuming the cost cap comes in to F1, McLaren will either need to get rid of some staff or find something not involving F1 for them to do.  Running an Indy campaign would usefully occupy some racing staff, not cost too much (~$15 million)... and keep Alonso in the fold.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27126
    Running at Indy would help McLaren get some good PR, which would sell them more sports cars (I assume that is the main aim). 

They need to do *something* that they have a chance at winning at...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires