The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4601
    I'm watching p3 at the moment and it's very, very wet. I do like this track though. Go Canada!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7087
    Well, Max and Fernando certainly earned their salaries on Saturday.  Much respect.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27173
    Well I took Sainz out of my fantasy team so Perez and Leclerc were always destined for the back of the grid :(

I'd love to see Alonso or Sainz take the win but assuming dry racing I can't see anyone beating Max
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2940
    That was a good race.  Nice to see Mercedes running well. If they do have significant upgrades for Silverstone then the rest of the season will be great.   Also good to see lots of close racing all over the grid.

Not a fan of Max but he stayed very calm after the safety car under relentless pressure.  

Yeah, good race and Max deserved it. 

Hopefully Merc are genuinely moving forward as well and it’s not just a fluke
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727
    Yeah, good race and Max deserved it. 

Hopefully Merc are genuinely moving forward as well and it’s not just a fluke
    With Perez and Leclerc out of the running due to reliability issues I think it was a bit of a fluke.   Their pace was closer but I think they would have still been 5th and 6th had those 2 been in contention.   But the pace was better, so that looks like progress, but I don’t think they have made a big jump.

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727

Race wise it was okay, close, but predictable.
    The safety car made it a bit better, just a pity Sainz couldn’t have challenged.  But he pushed hard.

Based on qualifying it wouldn’t be hard to predict the result.

Then again the way Redbull and MV are going, I guess pushing them hard is about the most that can be expected currently, especially with Leclerc starting at the back.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    The last few laps were nail-biting, and I was sure Sainz was going to get past. But Max defended perfectly, and deserved the win.

But as menamestom has said, it was a bit of a jumble with Perez and Leclerc out of contention, so was a false dawn for the Mercs.

Alonso got a penalty for weaving, so he’s back down to 9th.

• SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    how on earth did tsunoda manage to crash it coming out of the pits?
  • ColsCols Frets: 7087
    Simonh said:
    how on earth did tsunoda manage to crash it coming out of the pits?
    Trying to attack the pit lane exit on cold tyres.  Turned in, no grip, straight off to the barriers.

Not much more to add to the above posts; Max fully deserved his win.  It was a nail biting finish and it would’ve been a dream first win for Carlos, but ultimately Max had it all under control without having to resort to any heavy handed defending.

Shame for Fernando; he was desperately unlucky with the VSC timings and then suffered an engine issue which limited his straight line speed.  He deserved better than 9th place.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12406
    Good race. I’m not a Max fan but he does seem to be calming down and is gradually becoming the full package. When he exited the pit lane alongside Hamilton near the end of the race I’m sure the old Max would’ve seen the red mist, gone for it and then spun or crashed. Instead he just gave the Merc room and passed him later, no fuss, no drama. 

Good to see Sainz having a decent race for a change.  

Felt a bit sorry for Alonso, but I think he was in a false grid position. Q3 was way off kilter, what with the rain and then the drying track. 
    Yeah, I can see Max calmly cruising to the title now tbh. He seems to have absolutely realised that the approach of chilling out, getting the head down and maximising "safe" points every single time is more important than winning every corner. Having the quickest car doesn't hurt either. 

I can't feel too bad for Alonso - in a dry quali he'd have started somewhere from 6-10 and finished there too.
    seeing how Max won this weekend certainly bought to mind all the complaints when Lewis won in similar fashion.

Now the boot is on the other foot it is plain to see how annoying it is. I was gutted Perez went out and also would have liked to see Alonso do better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 215
    Alonso suffered from an air leak later in the race, that's why he lost quite a bit of (straight line) pace and dropped down behind Ocon. Alpine still hasn't been on top of their reliability problems. That being said, reliability seems to be the key word this year. 

Surprised with Mercedes' pace in Montreal, they were not far off Max and Carlos. If they manage to gain some more they could still get in championship contention especially when more reliability woes get to RB and Ferrari...
  • JJManJJMan Frets: 35
    Max wasn't exactly chilled though was he...exiting the pit lane behind Lewis...swearing at his Team...calmed down? - Nope
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5792
    Max is still annoying and smug and I still find my dislike for him a completely involuntary and physical reaction. He is driving really well this year and definitely handling race weekends and situations far better. If he wins the WDC again this year, I still won’t like it but I’ll absolutely applaud it. 
    I didn't hear that, though I did chuckle when he came out behind
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Right-ho chaps, the British GP is next weekend!

Haven’t rearranged my F1 Fantasy teams yet, but for those who want to avoid disappointment, my predictions are a Ferrari 1 - 2, Leclerc for the win. I just have a feeling they’re going to pull something special out of the bag this time. I also think the Mercs are going to be performing better, so there could be a surprise from either, or both, of them. Of course the Bulls are going to be super fast down the straights so it’s shaping up to be an exciting show.

It’s live on C4 too, so I’m getting the beers in ready, and hopefully there’s none of the usual unreliability nonsense going on.

So, what are your predictions?

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7541
    I see Bernie has found someone to listen to his wibblings this week - he’s not stuck it to Lewis for ages so he must have been fit to burst 
    Red ones are better. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24562
    I see Nelson Piquet (Snr) has hit the twitter headlines - apparently last year when LH and MV crashed at Silverstone Piquet referred to LH as that "Little N****"

No comment from the FIA yet but the Brazilian press are reporting multiple sources so it appears true.