The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27369
    I see Bernie's gone on Gammon News to tell everyone he'd take a bullet for Putin.

WTF does anyone care what he things about anything anymore?
    Christ, I thought you were joking. What a fucking dick

But it sells papers, so... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6210
    ^ Well, he got on very well with the other authoritarian fascist in F1, so why am I not surprised.
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    I'd give him a bullet for putin...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Bernie’s only ever been interested in making money, and he’s probably got investments in Russia. I don’t believe he’s involved in F1 anymore. He always was a tosser, loves winding people up, and I fail to see why anyone would take any notice of him.

• ColsCols Frets: 7175
    That's the nice thing about Bernie - once he's been bought, he stays bought.

Anyway, who do we fancy for this weekend?  I reckon Leclerc to get himself back on track and Red Bull to grenade both their engines.
    Leclerc if Ferrari don't let him down with the engine or the strategy. I'd like to see Sainz start winning but realistically a couple of CL-led 1-2s would be great to get the title race back on track (no pun intended!)
    I think Max is on top form, but I also fancy Leclerc’s chances as I love to see a bit of fierce competition. 

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4615
    I'm going for a Hamilton win. He loves this track
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    That would put the cat amongst the pigeons!
    edited June 2022
    Not really. It would mean he was level pegging with Sainz. And if one assumes those drivers above Hamster score points, it’s not exactly Earth-shattering. It would however make for a great race!

Just to make sure all the prejudices get an equal airing, Hamilton is giving age discrimination a go by questioning why older drivers are still allowed to speak.  I’m sure Hill and Brundle will be thrilled to hear his views.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-hamilton-why-give-older-generation-platform/

The sport certainly isn’t covering itself in glory this week.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4918
    Cols said:
    Just to make sure all the prejudices get an equal airing, Hamilton is giving age discrimination a go by questioning why older drivers are still allowed to speak.  I’m sure Hill and Brundle will be thrilled to hear his views.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-hamilton-why-give-older-generation-platform/

The sport certainly isn’t covering itself in glory this week.
    I dunno, reading the whole interview I'd take it more to mean that we shouldn't be allowing older drivers like Piquet with his narrow minded attitude a platform, not all older drivers as a group. 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I’d be interested to read the whole interview, but from the below…

I don’t know why we are continuing to give these older voices a platform, because they are speaking upon our sport and we’re looking to go somewhere completely different and that’s not representative I think of who we are as a sport now and where we are planning to go.

…we need to look into the future and give the younger people a platform that is more representative of today’s time and who we’re trying to be, the direction that we’re going.

…he appears to be arguing for a Logan’s Run approach to whether someone should be heard.

Where do you draw the line?  Alonso’s on the wrong side of 40, should he be deplatformed from the drivers’ press conferences?
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10355
    edited June 2022
    Two sleeps to go before the Hamilton, Verstappen, Piquet, Putin, Ecclescake FACE OFF. 
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2706
    Two sleeps to go before the Hamilton, Verstappen, Piquet, Putin, Ecclescake FACE OFF. 
    Can we make it a race off? Each one with a different handicap, whacky race style?
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4918
    edited July 2022
    Cols said:

I don’t know why we are continuing to give these older voices a platform, because they are speaking upon our sport and we’re looking to go somewhere completely different and that’s not representative I think of who we are as a sport now and where we are planning to go.

…we need to look into the future and give the younger people a platform that is more representative of today’s time and who we’re trying to be, the direction that we’re going.

…he appears to be arguing for a Logan’s Run approach to whether someone should be heard.

Where do you draw the line?  Alonso’s on the wrong side of 40, should he be deplatformed from the drivers’ press conferences?
    Its a difficult one, I suppose it's down to interpretation isn't it. To me he's arguing those with questionable views should be deplatformed, I'd personally liken it to embarrassing older relatives who still think it's acceptable to say certain things, or in one case think it's perfectly acceptable to call a black pet a name that begins with N and doesn't get the problem with that. I correct them when I hear stuff said, but why give them a soapbox to say it on?

Do I agree with censoring that, no, not wholeheartedly anyway as I think that just buries the problem rather than stops it. However, I can see why he would be saying we should. I honestly don't think he's saying, fuck all the older drivers. I think he's saying fuck those who say shitty things or are racist arseholes a la Piquet (who lets face it has always been a cunt). Again though I can see it being perceived as discrimination against older people too. Its a fine line!

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7599
    Cols said:

The difference you’re wilfully ignoring in this false equivalence is that these (now) old white men haven’t been systematically disadvantaged to date.

Rather than continue down a conversational path that’s predicated on what LH said being as bad as/the other side of the coin of racism let’s drop that bollocks and return to our usual programming… 
    Red ones are better. 
    So, I’m not the only one who’s grown tired of all the gobbing off about everything else but the racing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2022
    So, I’m not the only one who’s grown tired of all the gobbing off about everything else but the racing.
    I suspect most of the drivers are tired of it too. But old racist fogey types keep sticking their oar in and the media keeps asking questions, so…

In other news, Mansell did the Goodwood hill in his 92 Williams last weekend, and Seb will be driving it at silverstone this weekend, which is ace.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6210
    Northants Police is tweeting that there is some intelligence about a climate-related protest/invasion at the circuit.