Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New UK made offset bridge

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1025
    @Tuffset Can you send two to Lloyd so I can go round his and nick/be handed one to use. He’s a mate of mine. 
    Cheers in advance ;) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    Tuffset said:

@Tuffset When you ready, be sure to get one to Lloydfuzzman on YouTube.

He has done some invaluable offset bridge comparisons. Same guitar, same signal chain.

I think the Halon Guitar guys got a sales/profile boost when he included one of their bridges in a comparison.
    Yeah he's a top chap and seriously knows his stuff. 

Frankly I'd also send one to Puisheen (Mike Adams of M&M Guitar Bar) in Seattle. Great bloke and about as good as any in terms of getting eyeballs on it. I'm guessing he's also on OSG and aware of this  
    Michael James Adams too! One of the first off the line will be going to Puisheen. He was actually a huge help in the development - I got the design to a point where it would lock but not have individual saddle height adjustment, and Mike's advice and experience with vintage guitars helped me talk myself into developing the system which later became subject of the patent. I've also done a few bits for the Guitar Bar over the years, so I'll chat with Mike Ball about the possibilities there.

Whitecat said:
    Here's a crazy question for @Tuffset - Will these be available "reliced" for those of us that have guitars with the pre-aged faux wear vibe - or, even real authentic age wear? I'd be willing to pay a bit extra for that. If the device works, sometimes it's a bit gauche-looking on a worn vintage guitar (or factory relic) when they are brand shiny new...
    Not a crazy question imo - it would be a great option. Though the brushed finish helps it a lot. It's the super-shiny chrome of brand new hardware that's the biggest issue
    Here's the thing - the super-shiny, newness look is kind of a complex phenomenon in my opinion. 

In my experience, it's more often the product of cheap-ness, not new-ness per se. Bridges and parts made by die casting, stamping etc. are tempting for the company to just cake with chrome. The shiny-ness improves things at a glance, but if you look closely you're actually still seeing the imperfections or poor quality of what lies underneath.

The Tuffset is different. For a start, it's not going to be chrome plated - what you see on the outside is what it's made from on the inside. But there is always a question of surface roughness (level of "polish", if you will) that goes along with tolerancing on the technical specs.

What you're seeing on the prototype isn't a brushed finish - it's actually the milling marks. On the production version, these are being kept to a minimum and will likely only feature at all on the underside of the bridge and a little on the chassis at the bottom plane, amongst the saddles. The "Shoulders" will be polished flat, and the turned surfaces of the saddles will have the directional anisomorphic quality that catches the light in a bar shape, but will otherwise be pretty shiny.

Think of something like a Callaham Strat bridge, that might be a good analogy. It's not offensively bright and shiny, but neither is it brushed. I don't think it would necessarily look out of place on a guitar new or old, but if it does and that's an issue, I'd rather start with a level of surface quality that doesn't look out of place on a Jag next to a load of chrome plates and then *age it down* somehow than aim for a kind of brushed / scruffy effect that's neither in one camp nor the other. Do you know what I mean?
    Awesome all round. M&M is *amazing* - I was there back in June and it's up there with Carter Vintage for my all-time favourite guitar shop. I was horrifying close to spending half the holiday budget on an EB-2... 

And I agree on the finishing. I could see it probably wasn't brushed but don't know the right terminology. Big fan of Callahan here and their finishing on stuff like their Tele ashtrays is really great. I like where you're aiming and I don't think it'll put many people off given the existing finish of the Staytrem & Mastery units.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
  • TuffsetTuffset Frets: 39
    edited August 2023
    Yes, several all come along at once!

I'm not worried though - they're all going to the same place! Fixed-Post Junction via Spring Street, Rattle Avenue and Frictionville! ;) 

We're going somewhere else entirely!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Hello all, I posted some new updates to this project in the Made In UK section of the forum - hope to see you there! Cheers :) https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/257704/tuffset-bridge?new=1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4138
    Pre-order placed, I’ll try this out on my TVL and then likely on future builds from there :)