Line 6 HX One

What's Hot

Comments

• Sorry not for me.  So many FX in one unit - great - but some FX I want at the start of the chain and some at the end.  This thing will be static in a chain.  Also, this must be aimed at people who want to use their own expensive stomps in conjunction with this.  So if you already have an expensive Strymon delay and reverb for example, you won't be needing the multitude of delays and reverbs on this thing.  And I suspect delays and reverbs make up a good chunk of the 240+ effects on offer.
    There are a bunch of delays and reverbs but there is a multitude of other stuff too. This site is great. Shows you the models available, what they're based on as well as where we started and what we have added over the years. 

https://dshowmusic.com/line-6-helix-effect-models/

Exactly. There's just so much in there that you'd find 250 quid's worth of effects in it whatever you already had on your board. 
    Not questioning the plethora of effects within it.  But we're talking one effect at a time here.  What good is 250 effects if your HX One is on your chain to replace say, your delay pedal?   =)  

The Zoom MS series (which is about a decade older than this), also a stomp sized FX pedal that can do the "one pedal substitute" thing, but Zoom had the foresight to give users the ability to chain multiple FX within presets.  Can even switch them off one by one.  And it has amp sims, and costs a fraction of the HX One.  If Zoom could do that years ago, then I have to question why Line 6 didn't.  Intentionally or unintentionally - I think they missed a trick here and could have done better feature-wise and/or price wise.    
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That's why God made the M9.

The modern equivalent would be the HXFX, but that's a big price jump from the HX One.
    HX FX isn't that much more expensive than the HX One.  Even more so if you buy used.  I've seen some go for cheaper than £250.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10896
    english_bob said:

That's a whole other thread though...
    It really is. This one
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    edited October 2023
    TimmyO said:
    sgosden said:
    I can answer any questions you may all have. 
    Where do babies come from ?
    Why do they call orange jam marmalade? 
    Marmalades (orange, grapefruit, lime,etc) contain primarily rind which is normally considered inedible in it's uncooked state and jams contain fruit flesh. The reaction with the sugar is different than in jams. 
    You can have orange jam  which is made from the flesh of an orange. It's called orange jam and is not a marmalade. 
    Both jams and marmalades are preserves. 

Edit: although I can't answer where babies come from.  One of the mysteries of the universe I guess. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727
    That's why God made the M9.

The modern equivalent would be the HXFX, but that's a big price jump from the HX One.
    HX FX isn't that much more expensive than the HX One.  Even more so if you buy used.  I've seen some go for cheaper than £250.

The HX One looks to be around £249.   The HX effects is averaging around £499.
    There's a bit more, then a lot more, then after that you work in multiples which is what this is.

Used is a moot point, since the HX One 2nd hand market doesn't exist yet.

£249 is great value, when compared to a Strymon single pedal (V2's are around £350) or something like an Eventide H9.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks nice but isn’t £299 a little too much for just one effect at a time?
    How much are Strymons for one effect at a time?

How much are high end drive pedals without any other effects at all?

It's a lot of money, but I don't think it is expensive as such compared to other products. It's just the way of the world now.
    I’ve flagged my own comment and asked the mods to throw me in the cooler for rule number 1. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7803
    It's a no from me...

Why not a middle ground between this thing and an hxfx?

Three buttons, one for each effect on off and patches. Oops! The Hx stomp already does that. Or for myself, more precisely the better sounding gt-1000 core.

I assume they looked at m5 sales and figured there is a place for not-totally-realistic but versatile do-it-all single effect on a traditional board. For the kind of player who wants an occasional special effect like a phaser, chorus, tremolo, octaver and already has dedicated drives & delays. 
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1654
    I used to find the M5 so useful in covers bands. A few trusty drives at the front, an always on reverb and basic delay at the other end, then a single box in the middle that could do all the weird stuff that's only used for a single song - some odd reverse delay, chopping trem, flanger, pitch shifter, some ambient reverb... Just having one pedal rather than some lumpy multi-fx and helps keep your pedal board nice and small.

I know you can get a used HX Effects for similar price to this, but there's a certain ease and clarity of a single (fairly) simple pedal which is what helped make the M5 so popular. If you want to layer stuff or complicated routing options there's loads of stuff out there already to cover that ground. I'm well up for getting one of these.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Dan_Halen said:
    I used to find the M5 so useful in covers bands. A few trusty drives at the front, an always on reverb and basic delay at the other end, then a single box in the middle that could do all the weird stuff that's only used for a single song - some odd reverse delay, chopping trem, flanger, pitch shifter, some ambient reverb... Just having one pedal rather than some lumpy multi-fx and helps keep your pedal board nice and small.

I know you can get a used HX Effects for similar price to this, but there's a certain ease and clarity of a single (fairly) simple pedal which is what helped make the M5 so popular. If you want to layer stuff or complicated routing options there's loads of stuff out there already to cover that ground. I'm well up for getting one of these.
    Yeah I looked at the M5 and HX Stomp around the same time. Thing is the HX Stomp could have taken the place of around half of my board. Which would have meant replumbing everything and writing my patches again

You could think of it as a more fully featured DD-200 / Wampler Terraform type thing rather than a scaled back Stomp
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 641
    I like this. I'm currently struggling with an Alexander Wavelength to get it sounding anything like the demos I've heard so could well be in the market for a small form, midi capable multi modulation.

I've had a Stomp and Floor so I know the Helix effects are fantastic. One effect at a time doesn't bother me, I don't need phaser with my chorus and delay/reverb are covered elsewhere on the board.

Colour me interested! 
  • Dan_Halen said:

This cracks me up about the M5, and about the HX One- so many responses saying "impractical", "unrealistic", "what's the point?" then just as many saying "this is perfect", "so useful". 
    So many ways to go about getting the sounds you need, so many people convinced theirs is the only one.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    Dan_Halen said:

This cracks me up about the M5, and about the HX One- so many responses saying "impractical", "unrealistic", "what's the point?" then just as many saying "this is perfect", "so useful". 
    So many ways to go about getting the sounds you need, so many people convinced theirs is the only one.
    There are many ways to install a cat-flap
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4207
    One handy feature would be if you can send one effect to the loop, ie the fx loop of the amp, delay etc and the other channel can fire in front, compressor overdrives etc 
  • sweepy said:
    One handy feature would be if you can send one effect to the loop, ie the fx loop of the amp, delay etc and the other channel can fire in front, compressor overdrives etc 

This is a feature of all the HX series units, including the HX One.

This feature alone makes the HX One much more practical than the M5 as a "toolbox" pedal.

• roberty said:

All of them best left to a professional fitter, IMO.

But would definitely recommend the microchip-activated ones, particularly if you live in a densely-catted area. Those little shits have no sense of decorum or propriety, and scorn the concept of private property. 

• Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1654
    edited October 2023
    Dan_Halen said:

I just don't really see the point in complaining about what it isn't, when *that* solution (the one that they want) is almost certainly out there already. I'm also not suggesting other people don't have differing requirements and, if they do, one of these might well not be right for them... but writing it off entirely because it doesn't fit ones own very specific criteria seems a bit daft.

Can only speak for my own needs and I only ever use one mod, delay, pitch changing thingmyjig at a time so it being able to only do one isn't a problem at all. Something that sounds good, easy to power and takes up minimal space is indeed "so useful". If others have more complex requirements then that's fine but it's clearly not a product aimed at them.
    roberty said:

But would definitely recommend the microchip-activated ones, particularly if you live in a densely-catted area. Those little shits have no sense of decorum or propriety, and scorn the concept of private property. 
    A bit like drummers
  • roberty said:
    roberty said:

A bit like drummers

Don't even get me started on those dickheads.

• JotaJota Frets: 465
    Sorry not for me.  So many FX in one unit - great - but some FX I want at the start of the chain and some at the end.  This thing will be static in a chain.  Also, this must be aimed at people who want to use their own expensive stomps in conjunction with this.  So if you already have an expensive Strymon delay and reverb for example, you won't be needing the multitude of delays and reverbs on this thing.  And I suspect delays and reverbs make up a good chunk of the 240+ effects on offer.
    There are a bunch of delays and reverbs but there is a multitude of other stuff too. This site is great. Shows you the models available, what they're based on as well as where we started and what we have added over the years. 

https://dshowmusic.com/line-6-helix-effect-models/

Exactly. There's just so much in there that you'd find 250 quid's worth of effects in it whatever you already had on your board. 
    Not questioning the plethora of effects within it.  But we're talking one effect at a time here.  What good is 250 effects if your HX One is on your chain to replace say, your delay pedal?   =)  

The Zoom MS series (which is about a decade older than this), also a stomp sized FX pedal that can do the "one pedal substitute" thing, but Zoom had the foresight to give users the ability to chain multiple FX within presets.  Can even switch them off one by one.  And it has amp sims, and costs a fraction of the HX One.  If Zoom could do that years ago, then I have to question why Line 6 didn't.  Intentionally or unintentionally - I think they missed a trick here and could have done better feature-wise and/or price wise.    

And yet, people still use M5s and H9s!

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    TimmyO said:
    sgosden said:
    I can answer any questions you may all have. 
    Where do babies come from ?
    Why do they call orange jam marmalade? 
    Mark wants his joke back