Line 6 HX One

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10896
    Ahh but the H9 has a selection of patches/algorithms that contain a whole chain of effects 
    eg trichorus - delay -reverb 
    Fine, then the Line 6 M5, which is the last man standing of the M series because it's the one people keep buying.
    When I got my M5 from PMT the guy told me the Line 6 rep had been in and he'd said they kept making it because people kept buying it. Simple as that
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • One effect at a time does seem very stingy.
    I mean, it is a single stomp designed for pedalboards. One could argue that the many companies that release multiple identical pedals with no differences other than algorithms and paint jobs are being stingy. With HX One, we felt it was important to give everyone every effect.

Everything x2 or x3 becomes a very different product for a different target customer. And those of us in the trenches would argue more does not always mean higher sales.
    This looks like a fine upgrade to M5 functionality with some interesting extra features and access to the HX models. I think it will do very well with those who like Line 6 sounds/workflow. 

I can understand why you'd suggest it's stingy for another manufacturer to sell the same processor in a different box with a different algorithm loaded, but that's just being negative about the competition rather than positive about yourselves. If the customer wants spillover/carryover, then they need a second processor to deliver it when they switch to another sound, don't they? And buying a second box gives dedicated controls for the second effect. So maybe it's not stingy, but merely satisfying customer demand?

But, that being said, well done you lot at Line 6! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NickBNickB Frets: 266
    Stick it at the front of your chain for fuzz, wah (tron up/tron down) uni-vibe and 12 String. If you have a HX Stomp this frees up blocks and processing power. 

• Don't think it'll make any difference in the applications you want, but according to a little footnote in manual the polyphonic pitch patches (Poly Pitch/Poly Wham/Poly Capo/12 String) are in mono on the HX One to reduce DSP usage.

Presumably dual mono if you're using it in stereo? Might be one to ask @rossyamaha ;

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• longshins said:
    Does it do spill over between patches? 
    Unfortunately no. 

But looks like it will do it between active and bypass if you select DSP bypass.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27265

Don't think it'll make any difference in the applications you want, but according to a little footnote in manual the polyphonic pitch patches (Poly Pitch/Poly Wham/Poly Capo/12 String) are in mono on the HX One to reduce DSP usage.

Presumably dual mono if you're using it in stereo? Might be one to ask @rossyamaha ;
    Yeah, i live in the real world so single mono is absolutely fine, esp for live. I'd want to use the send/return to position the HX before/after dirt, most likely, so it's moot anyway. 

That said I don't think the latency on the pitchshift is any different to the Ricochet I'm already using so I'm not in any hurry to jump on this I think
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24664
    Disappointed I was hoping it was a small HX stomp between £150 to £200 
    Why?

An Ibby TS9 is about £120 now, and has zero R&D spend anymore. the 808 is about £170!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24664
    One effect at a time does seem very stingy.
    I mean, it is a single stomp designed for pedalboards. One could argue that the many companies that release multiple identical pedals with no differences other than algorithms and paint jobs are being stingy. With HX One, we felt it was important to give everyone every effect.

Everything x2 or x3 becomes a very different product for a different target customer. And those of us in the trenches would argue more does not always mean higher sales.
    Boss Waza Air - different models for guitar and bass.... I'm looking at you.
    The best practice tool I've ever had or seen in nearly 40 years of playing and they do that. Cheap bastards.

At least Source Audio make it clear that buyers of the Drive  / Fuzz pedals can download all the algos from all of them.

I think the HXOne is a great idea. Most of my Nano+ board is locked in with things I always need (bass). Compressor, Octave, Drive, tuner, HPF (underneath) but I swap the other thing quite a lot between a second drive, envelope filter, synth etc etc, and then it's a compromise for a gig. I wouldn't have to do that with the HX One.

I refuse to take anything bigger than a Nano+ so I'm quite tempted by this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• Don't think it'll make any difference in the applications you want, but according to a little footnote in manual the polyphonic pitch patches (Poly Pitch/Poly Wham/Poly Capo/12 String) are in mono on the HX One to reduce DSP usage.
    I must admit I've never fiddled with that on Helix Native, but I have often wondered how the pitch models could be stereo anyway, I don't think there's a panning option on them but could be wrong? Or is it dry and wet in Left and Right?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic

Don't think it'll make any difference in the applications you want, but according to a little footnote in manual the polyphonic pitch patches (Poly Pitch/Poly Wham/Poly Capo/12 String) are in mono on the HX One to reduce DSP usage.
    I must admit I've never fiddled with that on Helix Native, but I have often wondered how the pitch models could be stereo anyway, I don't think there's a panning option on them but could be wrong? Or is it dry and wet in Left and Right?
    I guess the options are wet/dry or just feeding in a stereo signal from something else and keeping it stereo. Quite why you'd need to do that I don't necessarily know (esp as pitch fx are almost always horrible if not first in chain) but it's def something that could be done! 
    For those without switchers, you can patch in the L+R channels separately and then choose to effect only the L or R signal. So for example you could use it as a drive at the beginning of your chain with one preset, then change to a delay at the end of your chain with another, without using a fancy switcher
  • NickB said:
    Stick it at the front of your chain for fuzz, wah (tron up/tron down) uni-vibe and 12 String. If you have a HX Stomp this frees up blocks and processing power. 
    That’s not a bad shout. I’m on my third Stomp now, I keep coming back as it does everything I need & is easy to use, but the poly stuff eats up dsp very quickly. 

I found the LT too big really so adding this would keep things nice & compact. 
  • roberty said:
    For those without switchers, you can patch in the L+R channels separately and then choose to effect only the L or R signal. So for example you could use it as a drive at the beginning of your chain with one preset, then change to a delay at the end of your chain with another, without using a fancy switcher

This was the biggest obstacle to getting the most from the M5, IMO, and getting around it with an expensive, complicated switching system seems like a "sledgehammer to crack a nut" sort of solution if all you want is to use one pedal in a couple of different ways. Good to see they've come up with a solution.

Likewise, the need for an expression pedal was going to be an obstacle for some since the M5 is a big unit anyway, and an expression pedal takes up yet more pedalboard space. Not using one meant you couldn't use some of the effects models properly (whammy, wahs, even the slow/fast ramp on the Leslie models) and couldn't do some of the fun things other models were capable of. With only 24 presets you could even use the expression pedal to give you two different variations on a single effect while only using one preset slot. The HX One fixes most of that- 128 presets means no need to double up if you don't want to, and the Flux switch will do a big chunk of what you'd need the expression pedal for. 

In terms of an upgrade for existing M5 users (and for generally doing the "toolbox" pedal job better) I think these are really good changes. At least as big a deal in use as all the new effects algorithms.

roberty said:

This was the biggest obstacle to getting the most from the M5, IMO, and getting around it with an expensive, complicated switching system seems like a "sledgehammer to crack a nut" sort of solution if all you want is to use one pedal in a couple of different ways. Good to see they've come up with a solution.
    The L+R thing is a good solution. I would add though that at the £114 I paid for my M5 it was still half the price of a dedicated multi-mod or multi-delay. So you could buy it, ignore those other functions and save £100

If you are looking at the DD-200 now, the Peach price for the HX One is only an extra £30. It is competing with those units rather than the rest of the Helix line IMO
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NickB said:
    That’s not a bad shout. I’m on my third Stomp now, I keep coming back as it does everything I need & is easy to use, but the poly stuff eats up dsp very quickly. 

I found the LT too big really so adding this would keep things nice & compact. 

Better still, couldn't you put it in the Stomp's insert loop, then you could have it anywhere you want in the chain.

Add a MIDI cable and you can have patch changes on the Stomp call up the effect you want from the HX One. 

I honestly think the flux button is a really great addition - useful for whammy, ramping speed on a rotary, ramping speed on a phaser, delay time/feedback craziness, etc 
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    I wonder if the flux function will come to stomp on the next update...  :#
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6835
    The more I think about it the more it seems bloody excellent.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727

Is Flux similar to TC's mash?  Kind of a change between 2 states of a variable over a certain time period?

• Is Flux similar to TC's mash?  Kind of a change between 2 states of a variable over a certain time period?

Yes. It might not work exactly the same, but the principle is very similar. It could be something as simple as switching between the slow and fast speeds of a Leslie sim, or it could alter *all* the effects parameters.