Line 6 HX One

What's Hot
167891012»

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I got one of these in the end. Haven't had a chance to plug it in yet though. So much going on atm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 526
    Does the HX one allow more than one effect at once or is it just an updated m5 with one effect at a time? Looks like a good bit of kit though.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    Fez said:
    Does the HX one allow more than one effect at once or is it just an updated m5 with one effect at a time? Looks like a good bit of kit though.
    One at a time like the M5, but the Flux switch allows you to change parameters, so you can get two variations of the one effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ragingbenragingben Frets: 107
    I'm seriously thinking about ordering a HX One to run in 4 cable method, but I've been reading up a bit and there seems to be quite a lot of users experiencing a couple of issues. The first is that the One adds a lot of additional noise and also changes the tone a bit when bypassed. The second is that MIDI thru is not passing the data on correctly (or at all). Does anyone on here have any of these issues. I don't trust TGP these days!
    ragingben said:
    I'm seriously thinking about ordering a HX One to run in 4 cable method, but I've been reading up a bit and there seems to be quite a lot of users experiencing a couple of issues. The first is that the One adds a lot of additional noise and also changes the tone a bit when bypassed. The second is that MIDI thru is not passing the data on correctly (or at all). Does anyone on here have any of these issues. I don't trust TGP these days!
    I’m only using mine into the front of my amp but no noise issues or change in tone that I’ve noticed. I don’t use MIDI so can’t comment on that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @chrisj1602 thanks for the info. Are you using the DSP buffered bypass?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Fez said:
    One at a time like the M5, but the Flux switch allows you to change parameters, so you can get two variations of the one effect.
    @Fez From what I remember of the Studio Rats video there is a boost parameter to some of the effects so in effect you get a second effect at the same time - as long as that effect is boost. And as said the Flux gives you a variation. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    ragingben said:
    @chrisj1602 thanks for the info. Are you using the DSP buffered bypass?
    However it came out of the box!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5156
    ragingben said:
    MIDI thru is not passing the data on correctly (or at all). 

The M5 also has this issue (although it doesn't claim to have MIDI thru, just a very basic MIDI out capability). The workaround is to have the pedal last in line if you're daisy-chaining MIDI pedals, or to get a MIDI splitter so that MIDI messages never need to go through the HX One.

Admittedly, both options potentially involve a bit of re-wiring of your pedalboard and maybe a bit of financial outlay (MIDI cables and splitters aren't all that expensive), but they're simple and quick to implement, and it's likely that if the issue is firmware-fixable it'll be done in fairly short order.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

edited March 25
    I pulled the trigger on a HX One and spent some time with it today. I think I like it, but I'm still on the fence!

I really like the way it works and the whole UX is great and the unit itself feels solid.

Sound wise it's pretty good - I haven't heard anything earth shattering, but everything has been decent to be fair. The sheer amount of effects is overwhelming and I'm surprised how many parameters each algorithm has.

Screenshot-20240322-225710

Running it in 4CM with the insert loop and my Rockerverb effects loop hasn't gone as well as I hoped, it definitely adds noise to signal there's no doubt about it. It's just as others have reported online (https://line6.com/support/topic/67654-hx-one-noise-issue). I spent a bit of time faffing with settings and cables but I couldn't remove it. It's dead silent in the Rockerverb loop or in front, but not using the insert loop to do both at the same time. This is a shame because it means I've got to either put up with extra noise, just run it in the loop which reduces its versatility, or just run it in front which is probably what I'll end up doing as I'll use more of the FX this way.

MIDI wise I was also a little thrown, I was expecting PC 0 to bypass the HX One and 1-127 to select presets. This isn't the case, 0-127 are all presets. This makes changing patches a pain unless you can send CC messages (CC 4 controls bypass, 0-63 off, 64-127 on). A work around seems to be setting up a dummy preset with the mix down to 0, but this is a real shame IMO. Luckily I can send CC, so when I have a patch where I want an effect from the HX One I send it's PC for the preset followed by CC 4 set to 127. This changes the patch then ensures it's not bypassed. When I don't want a preset active on the HX One I send CC 4 set to 0 to bypass whichever preset is currently running on the HX One. This works and is OK, but it would have been so much easier for everyone if Line 6 just reserved PC 0 as a bypass preset.

All in all it is probably a keeper, I still think it's good value for money. It definitely fulfills the Swiss army knife cliche but it's just a shame it has a couple of things that hold it back from being outstanding. I would be wary of it if you intend to buy one to use in 4CM using the insert loop. The way I've hooked it in to my rig with the Bright Onion patch bay allows me to easily route it through the amps FX loop when I want to scratch the itch, it's just such as shame the insert loop on the HX One didn't work out.

Edit - after playing for a few days. I'm loving the HX One. There's actually some amazing effects on there. The Adriatic Delay is excellent and a lot of the reverbs are really solid. The Script Logo Phaser is a really good model (as is the Small Stone model... I can't remember the name), the trems are deep and the flux control is really a game changer. I'd written it off as a gimmick but it works really well and is similar to the Morph control on the Kemper.