Acoustic ingredients for a particular sound?

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
Now my lad is sorted for his xmas acoustic, and having reawaken my acoustic interest by looking at them with him, I’m now wondering about one for myself.

I’ve realised I think that I like that wide immersive sound that’s more rosewood than mahogany (mahogany being to me, such as I have experience of and words for, a quicker, dryer, more direct sound)

Other things:
I’m a terrible finger style player but like to give it a go, so something that gives up a sound easily rather than needing a thwack. 

When lightly strummed I like that sizzly harmonic sound that some guitars go. 

I like to sing when I play sometimes.

Realistically, this is for home use. 

What am I describing?
Cedar and RW? 
Something else?

Obv I’d not buy blind. 

Budget is tough - either mid range, or if I get around to selling some things, more than that.

I’m a fan of used gear. But it’s not a 100% rule.

ta.
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4217
    edited December 2023
    I only have experience of spruce -topped acoustics, but within that realm I'd go Sitka and Rosewood for that combo. I've found all things being equal that Sitka responds better to lighter player input that the more prized Adirondak, with the cost benefit being a bonus too.

See if you can get your hands on a D-35 or HD-35. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    you'll need to keep your stings clean tho  ;) 

Cedar (for me) tends to be better balanced on Mahogany (my parlor)  (or Koa!)  and I like good old spruce on r/wood. 

If you were closer (I assume you're not Swindon any more ?)  you could try the Furch and Brook
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    Lewy said:
    I only have experience of spruce -topped acoustics, but within that realm I'd go Sitka and Rosewood for that combo. I've found all things being equal that Sitka responds better to lighter player input that the more prized Adirondak, with the cost benefit being a bonus too.

See if you can get your hands on a D-35 or HD-35. 

Ta.

yeah Adirondack being a less pliant sound is def a thing I’ve experienced.

Red ones are better. 
  • At the weekend I played a 12-string Guild jumbo (spruce top, rosewood back and sides) which had a wide immersive sound, not to mention plenty of sizzling harmonics!  

I keep thinking about it, even though it's probably not the best sort of guitar for the style I play...

bertie said:

Cedar (for me) tends to be better balanced on Mahogany (my parlor)  (or Koa!)  and I like good old spruce on r/wood. 

If you were closer (I assume you're not Swindon any more ?)  you could try the Furch and Brook
    Ha. Yes. I do these days. (more)

Im still in Swindon - why would anyone leave ? ;-) 

Also how come you’re selling a Brook? I thought you loved em? 

Red ones are better. 
    edited December 2023
    TimmyO said:

mostly physical,  same as the Furch  -   elbow issues with the Brook (larger body Im finding uncomfortable) and dupuytrens on fretting hand and the V neck on the Furch  -   which is a shame cos I really like the tone and the body size/shape
    When both have sold I can use the cash to help fund a "special"  OM for next birthday    Not sure what tho   possibly Atkin with some "custom additions"  Brook Lamorna isnt out of the reckoning  -  I just havent got the time to pursue it right now with all that's going on 

• For my money any good hog/spruce dread could get you what you're describing (or a smaller shape if built properly). Rosewood is a bit more "fine sounding" but I much prefer mahogany these days. 

But you know the best course of action here - get thee to a good shop and try a whole bunch of stuff... There's no better way, esp with acoustics. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    TimmyO said:

bertie said:

Ha. Yes. I do these days. (more)

Im still in Swindon - why would anyone leave ? ;-) 

I thought anyone who tries to leave Swindon got trapped on the Magic Roundabout?

I’ve  got both Spruce/Walnut and Cedar/Rosewood. They have different but complimentary sounds. You’re also welcome to try them as I’m relatively local. 

Sounds like @bertie and @drofluf need to coverage on the midpoint of Swindon for a meet up :-) 

I’m not sure a dread is going to be it - but who knows 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 233
    My Lowden is cedar over rosewood, very responsive & bell like clarity, evenly balanced string volume.
    Worth trying one out if you get the chance.

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    TimmyO said:
    Sounds like @bertie and @drofluf need to coverage on the midpoint of Swindon for a meet up :-) 

I’m not sure a dread is going to be it - but who knows 
    @bertie it’s a trap! We’ll get stuck on the Magic Roundabout and never get home 
    Ive only encountered it once,  its right outside the County Ground IIRC

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Sounds to me like you need a D-28vs. A wonderful guitar Wide immersive sound in bundles
    I just always end up feeling like a dread is a bit stifled with less than brilliant finger style …
    Red ones are better. 
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    The VS is like no other ‘normal’ dred, a decent 12 fret is a wonderful thing and entirely different feeling to a standard 14. Trouble is, finding one to try…..
  • TimmyO said:
    I just always end up feeling like a dread is a bit stifled with less than brilliant finger style …
    Good dreads are happier playing with fingers than most small instruments are with strumming. But that might be partly down to my heavy right hand when I’m strumming 

You’re obviously v welcome to come demo my little Atkin 47 and Bourgeois dread but probably not worth the trip for that alone!! :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2768
    Have a drive to Stratford and have a look at Richard’s  collection of Furch and Dowinas and a few others.

Dowina were using Dolomite spruce which is very nice , very thin 
    Andy79 said:
    The VS is like no other ‘normal’ dred, a decent 12 fret is a wonderful thing and entirely different feeling to a standard 14. Trouble is, finding one to try…..
    12 fret? Ooh never played a 12 fret Dreadnaught. I really like my 12 fret 00 
    Red ones are better. 
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1584
    Andy79 said:
    Hobgoblin have a used one in great
    condition for a decent price. It's on their website. 
  • Andy79 said:
    Sounds to me like you need a D-28vs. A wonderful guitar Wide immersive sound in bundles

Or an OM28 style. There's a nice Atkin OM37 in the classifieds that would do very nicely IMO. At any rate I think Sitka/Rosewood is what I'd be looking at.