Quality Guitarists you have never heard of.

What's Hot

Comments

• ManxmusicmanManxmusicman Frets: 25
    Erwin Thomas from the Southern Sons, great tone and phrasing, check out an album called nothing but the truth, oh and the guy has an amazing voice as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2419
    Laur Joamets is amazing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1883
    skaguitar said:
    Another vote for Sean Costello….also Tom Bukovac or Uncle Larry as he’s often known…session player from Nashville who plays for everyone…check out his you tube channel…’homeskoolin’  …he’s a great player 
    I wondered who Guthrie Trapp was referring to when saying 'Uncle Larry' on his channel. I thought he might have had a Larrivee guitar that he loved!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    A new Dr Molly Miller tracked came up this morning, I don’t think she’s very well known:

https://youtu.be/GI0sPoOxh1M?si=lPDhjCOb4H6iRuZh

[ Doctor of something like Performance Arts, so it’s a not a stage name nor can she put your leg in plaster] 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    The man with no name
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    As mentioned earlier in the thread Nalle Colt is a massively unheard of name. Love guy, great playing and phrasing. Going to be interesting to see what he does now that vintage trouble have gone one long term hiatus 
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 303
    Parker Griggs from Radio Moscow. I’ve not started listening to them and they don’t seem to have done much lately but this guy is superb! 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23012
    A new Dr Molly Miller tracked came up this morning, I don’t think she’s very well known:

Must admit I'd assumed she was a doctor of medicine, for some reason.
    Gosh, that track is so polite.  It sounds like the guitar isn't plugged in.  Which is fine of course, if that's what she wants to do.
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 646
    Philly_Q said:

Gosh, that track is so polite.  It sounds like the guitar isn't plugged in.  Which is fine of course, if that's what she wants to do.
    'Soon after earning her Doctorate in Musical Arts from the University of Southern California in 2016, she became the chair of the Guitar Department at Los Angeles College of Music. She returned to her alma mater, USC, as a Professor of Studio Guitar in 2022'

Here

Litterick said:
    Philly_Q said:

'Soon after earning her Doctorate in Musical Arts from the University of Southern California in 2016, she became the chair of the Guitar Department at Los Angeles College of Music. She returned to her alma mater, USC, as a Professor of Studio Guitar in 2022'

Here

It was me rather than Molly’s video that introduced the Dr element into the Discussion, bit unnecessary really. I won’t do it again, or will I..,mwha ha ha…
    I like that kind of guitar sound, perhaps appreciating the politeness of it is a sign of my increasing decrepitude.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    A few:

The thundering Jimmy Rip- ex Hall and Oates, Mick Jagger and Jerry Lee Lewis.

The exquisite David Rhodes- Talk Talk, Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush (wrote the Life's What You Make It lick)

The lovely Johnny Turnbull, Talk Talk, Blockheads and much more.

The brilliant Mark Hart- Supertramp and Crowded House.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3282
    Litterick said:
    Philly_Q said:

Here

It was me rather than Molly’s video that introduced the Dr element into the Discussion, bit unnecessary really. I won’t do it again, or will I..,mwha ha ha…
    I like that kind of guitar sound, perhaps appreciating the politeness of it is a sign of my increasing decrepitude.
     @EricTheWeary ;Have you checked out Julian Lage? I'm thinking the Arclight and Modern Lore albums.
    Litterick said:
    Philly_Q said:

Here

@EricTheWeary ;Have you checked out Julian Lage? I'm thinking the Arclight and Modern Lore albums.
    I’ve seen bits of him on YouTube. I think Molly and Jim Campilongo are about where my tastes overlap with anything jazz oriented but I’ll see if I can stream those later, thank you. 
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3282
    Litterick said:
    Philly_Q said:

Here

I’ve seen bits of him on YouTube. I think Molly and Jim Campilongo are about where my tastes overlap with anything jazz oriented but I’ll see if I can stream those later, thank you. 
    Tele > tweed...more rock'n'roll than jazz...your box will be ticked! ;)
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 646
    Litterick said:
    Philly_Q said:

Here

Perhaps unnecessary, but interesting: she is more than just a guitarist. Good manners, as well: I am always charmed when people acknowledge my doctorate.

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7058
    tFB Trader
    I don't know any guitarists I haven't heard of.
  • Mr_ClawMr_Claw Frets: 95
    Sir Richard Bishop of art psych band Sun City Girls. 

Here he is in more straight-up jazz mode playing some Coltrane. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Jim Heath of The Reverend Horton Heat. Probably reasonably known around thefretboard but not really outside, and a great rockabilly player. 
    Barney Kessel.

Well known in jazz circles, but woefully under-known/appreciated outside jazz (despite being all over pop records from the 60s/70s as a session player).

Quite possibly the best of the best. He's my go-to when people ask "who's the best guitarist ever?" (and you're supposed to say "Hendrix")

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    edited March 13
    I think Lemmo at Norm’s Rare Guitars does some pretty incredible stuff.  His hybrid picking seems top notch.

Also, Slash  :)