Quality Guitarists you have never heard of.

What's Hot

Comments

• Philip Donnelly:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    I recently got into Casiopea & Noro Issei is a monsterous player.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11708
    Brian Setzer is seldom talked about these days (at least within my earshot).  I always thought he was top-notch.

And let's not forgot this much-travelled gentleman:

Chris Spedding Editorial Stock Photo - Stock Image  Shutterstock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    Litterick said:
    Philly_Q said:
    A new Dr Molly Miller tracked came up this morning, I don’t think she’s very well known:

https://youtu.be/GI0sPoOxh1M?si=lPDhjCOb4H6iRuZh

Must admit I'd assumed she was a doctor of medicine, for some reason.
    Gosh, that track is so polite.  It sounds like the guitar isn't plugged in.  Which is fine of course, if that's what she wants to do.
    'Soon after earning her Doctorate in Musical Arts from the University of Southern California in 2016, she became the chair of the Guitar Department at Los Angeles College of Music. She returned to her alma mater, USC, as a Professor of Studio Guitar in 2022'

Here

It was me rather than Molly’s video that introduced the Dr element into the Discussion, bit unnecessary really. I won’t do it again, or will I..,mwha ha ha…
    I like that kind of guitar sound, perhaps appreciating the politeness of it is a sign of my increasing decrepitude.
     @EricTheWeary ;Have you checked out Julian Lage? I'm thinking the Arclight and Modern Lore albums.
    I’ve seen bits of him on YouTube. I think Molly and Jim Campilongo are about where my tastes overlap with anything jazz oriented but I’ll see if I can stream those later, thank you. 
    Check out his album Squint.
  • danny_777danny_777 Frets: 660
    John Cordy is the best new guitarist I've heard in a while. An excellent player. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6692
    Isaiah Mitchell has rapidly become one of my all time favourite guitarists ever. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    horsehead said:
    As mentioned earlier in the thread Nalle Colt is a massively unheard of name. Love guy, great playing and phrasing. Going to be interesting to see what he does now that vintage trouble have gone one long term hiatus 
    Wonderful player. Been uploading lots of jamming to crazy 70s chord sequences recently. Maybe a solo album? 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    Molly Miller's 'stank face' is pretty powerful. 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22866
    soma1975 said:
    Isaiah Mitchell has rapidly become one of my all time favourite guitarists ever. 
    @soma1975 I have of course heard of him, but yes, he is fantastic.  I was gutted when he joined the Black Crowes as it seemed such a waste of his talent, although of course it was only ever going to be a short-term arrangement.

Have you heard the two albums he did with Golden Void?  They're more song-based than Earthless, less guitar and more vocals, but still bloody marvellous.
    Philly_Q said:
    soma1975 said:
    @soma1975 I have of course heard of him, but yes, he is fantastic.  I was gutted when he joined the Black Crowes as it seemed such a waste of his talent, although of course it was only ever going to be a short-term arrangement.

Have you heard the two albums he did with Golden Void?  They're more song-based than Earthless, less guitar and more vocals, but still bloody marvellous.
    Yep, his album with Seedy Jeezus is great too. I see he offers zoom guitar lessons but I don't even know what I'd ask him? How do you play wailing pentatonics for 30mins in one song without ever repeating yourself? 

Have to say all the stuff I saw of him in Crowes was incredible too. Easily the best lead guitarist since Marc Ford for me. 

He's been very diplomatic about how he had to go back to his band but you get the feeling that he found it all a bit toxic and removed himself from the situation. 

edited March 20
    I wasn't aware of the Seedy Jeezus album, I shall look into that, thanks!  Zoom guitar lessons, no.  Way too intimidating.  

With the Black Crowes... I'm just not a fan.  I did actually buy most, if not all, of their albums before the hiatus but the only one I really liked was The Southern Harmony... and even that I don't like all the tracks.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11708
    Philly_Q said:
    I wasn't aware of the Seedy Jeezus album, I shall look into that, thanks!  Zoom guitar lessons, no.  Way too intimidating.  

With the Black Crowes,,, I'm just not a fan.  I did actually buy most, if not all, of their albums before the hiatus but the only one I really liked was The Southern Harmony... and even that I don't like all the tracks. ;)
    You are me and ICMFP.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3553
    Philly_Q said:

With the Black Crowes... I'm just not a fan.  I did actually buy most, if not all, of their albums before the hiatus but the only one I really liked was The Southern Harmony... and even that I don't like all the tracks.
    There's only one lead guitarist for that band, and he hasn't been in it for years. 

I say 'band', but clearly it's now the brothers plus a bunch of sidemen. 
    Greatape said:
    Philly_Q said:

There's only one lead guitarist for that band, and he hasn't been in it for years. 

Go on, which one?
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 359
    Philly_Q said:
    Greatape said:
    Philly_Q said:

Go on, which one?
    If it were me I'd say that Marc Ford was the best additional guitarist they ever had.

monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

I always prefer Black Crowes guitarists before they joined the Black Crowes.  Marc Ford with Burning Tree, Audley Freed with Cry of Love... they all seem to join the Crowes and come out the other side playing Americana.... please god that doesn't happen to Isaiah Mitchell.
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 359
    Burning Tree were great

monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    Ben / Benny Matthews from Thunder - Wonderful player live.
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1561
    My fave under the radar guitar genius is Malcolm Ross.

Josef K, Orange Juice, Aztec Camera, Nectarine Number Nine, Blancmange and many others.

He single-handedly co-ordinated the direction of Scottish guitar in the eighties - a total hero.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 645
    soma1975 said:

Really enjoyed that, cheers.