Quality Guitarists you have never heard of.

What's Hot

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10308

I saw The Hillbilly Moon Explosion last year. No idea who the guitarist is without Googling it, but he's a great player.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WYNIR0 said:
    Barry Shitpeas
    Big fan of Jez North here. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1414
    edited February 26
    snowblind said:
    Still waiting for Geppetto to come and carve a real live guitarist out of the blocks of wood on the end of my arms then I might have a name for you.

That said, still recall the first time I happened upon Junior Brown on YT, arrived at somewhat circuitously via a Frank Zappa video.
    Probably the late 1990s we had cable TV and CMTV was bundled into that. MrsTheWeary liked her contemporary country and I was happy to have it on as occasionally they would play a Junior Brown track. Occasionally also a Shaver track, imagine sort of Jonny Cash with Stevie Ray Vaughan on guitar but was multi instrumentalist Eddy Shaver playing with his dad Billie Joe on vocals. In-between there was a lot of saccharine shite but Junior Brown and Shaver excellent. 
    Yes, Eddy Shaver was excellent. Seemed to have a natural gift for playing. It's a shame he died so young but his father lived a pretty hard-living type of life so it's not all that surprising. I recommend Billy Joe's autobiography if you haven't already read it. He writes quite a bit about the circumstances of his son's death and some funny business with Eddy's Strat, originally gifted to him by Dickey Betts.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2419
    Dustin Boyer
    Dan Iead
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NickBNickB Frets: 242
    Jimmy Herring from Widespread Panic
  • Sean Costello. A day doesnt go by that I dont tell someone about Sean. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23012
    Sean Costello. A day doesnt go by that I dont tell someone about Sean. 
    That's today's notification done then. :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4317
    Until very recently I’d never heard of Robbie Robertson (The Band). 

I knew the song, The Weight, from Easy Rider. But I’d never heard much else. 

Cracking band, and guitarist. 

Guilherme Veronese. 

Brazilian metal / fusion instrumentalist. His playing is bloody ridiculous! 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Maybe not unknown to most but Pete Tolson of The Pretty Things went completely under my radar until recently, I could listen to this guy solo all day long! 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    snowblind said:
    Still waiting for Geppetto to come and carve a real live guitarist out of the blocks of wood on the end of my arms then I might have a name for you.

That said, still recall the first time I happened upon Junior Brown on YT, arrived at somewhat circuitously via a Frank Zappa video.
    Probably the late 1990s we had cable TV and CMTV was bundled into that. MrsTheWeary liked her contemporary country and I was happy to have it on as occasionally they would play a Junior Brown track. Occasionally also a Shaver track, imagine sort of Jonny Cash with Stevie Ray Vaughan on guitar but was multi instrumentalist Eddy Shaver playing with his dad Billie Joe on vocals. In-between there was a lot of saccharine shite but Junior Brown and Shaver excellent. 
    Yes, Eddy Shaver was excellent. Seemed to have a natural gift for playing. It's a shame he died so young but his father lived a pretty hard-living type of life so it's not all that surprising. I recommend Billy Joe's autobiography if you haven't already read it. He writes quite a bit about the circumstances of his son's death and some funny business with Eddy's Strat, originally gifted to him by Dickey Betts.
    Oh I'll have a look. Billy Joe died a couple of years ago I think. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Gan_AinmGan_Ainm Frets: 13
    edited February 26
    Sean Costello. A day doesnt go by that I dont tell someone about Sean. 
    I was also going to say Sean. I only discovered him last year - an amazing player and singer, especially live (going by the many YouTube vids). Such a sad loss. 

I’d also add Paul Size (The Red Devils) and Rick Holmstrom (Mavis Staples band). 
  • Rob Chapman

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ozzie744Ozzie744 Frets: 38
    Josh Z. from an Austin Tx band called The Mother Truckers. They've been around for a while now, but I just recently discovered them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAD43hoL2p4
  • Last week I bought Total Guitar. On the cover was a guitarist I’d not heard of. Still not read the interview, but I checked him out on Yotube the other night and was blown away… incredible talent and listenable tunes … his name is Matteo Mancuso. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23012
    Last week I bought Total Guitar. On the cover was a guitarist I’d not heard of. Still not read the interview, but I checked him out on Yotube the other night and was blown away… incredible talent and listenable tunes … his name is Matteo Mancuso. 
    Several threads on here about him, I think.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3036
    edited February 26
    Philly_Q said:
    Last week I bought Total Guitar. On the cover was a guitarist I’d not heard of. Still not read the interview, but I checked him out on Yotube the other night and was blown away… incredible talent and listenable tunes … his name is Matteo Mancuso. 
    Several threads on here about him, I think.
    And I managed to miss them all. I’ll have a search for them 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Rob Chapman
    The Smashing Pumpkins guy?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 686
    Well I was going to say I've not heard of any of these guys, but I suppose I have now  :3
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2169
    Not sure how well known he is... but I always recommend Pierre Bensusan 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 254
    About 80% of the people with signature guitars.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom