Quality Guitarists you have never heard of.

What's Hot

Comments

• snowblindsnowblind Frets: 233
    Still waiting for Geppetto to come and carve a real live guitarist out of the blocks of wood on the end of my arms then I might have a name for you.

That said, still recall the first time I happened upon Junior Brown on YT, arrived at somewhat circuitously via a Frank Zappa video.
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MarchMarch Frets: 286
    Allen Hinds
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16097
    unsung heroes like Tony Peluso who played for the Carpenters ...........ultimate quality ,listen to his solo on 'Goodbye to love '
    The less known Nashville session players like Brent Mason 
    Real guitsr skill ......not Rock Heroes
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MSedgMSedg Frets: 117
    Sean Costello - was looking at ‘50s wind Lollars, apparently there’s some link with his guitar and some work Jason Lollar did. I’d never heard of him before (and he’s sadly deceased) but he’s great.
  • I can name four who I love that people on here may never have heard of or not taken particular notice of:

Ira Kaplan
    Carrie Brownstein
    Brian Causey AKA Starcrunch
    Jeff Tweedy

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RichACRichAC Frets: 744
    sev112 said:
    rsvmark said:
    Spotted a 10cc gig on Amazon prime last night so I dipped in. Not my normal cup of tea but I really enjoyed the lead guitarist- Rick Fenn. I have to say I really enjoyed his playing- melodic, tasteful and really suited the songs. Never heard of him.

so who have recently discovered that previously you hadn’t heard of?
    What on Earth do you mean you’ve not heard of Rick Fenn ?!  Didn’t everyone grow up with the Live album “Live and Let Live” ??
    where Rick even gets name checked ?

Rick’s finger picked line up the neck on Feel the Benefit is my standard riff in guitar shops that (as simple as it is) gets people saying “oh that’s interesting … “ etc 

Glad you’ve found him :)
    You are Rick Fenn and I claim my £5  :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27507
    edited February 25
    Burks has been dead since 2012 but remains worth a listen.
    Stlll strumming in his grave?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    snowblind said:
    Still waiting for Geppetto to come and carve a real live guitarist out of the blocks of wood on the end of my arms then I might have a name for you.

That said, still recall the first time I happened upon Junior Brown on YT, arrived at somewhat circuitously via a Frank Zappa video.
    Probably the late 1990s we had cable TV and CMTV was bundled into that. MrsTheWeary liked her contemporary country and I was happy to have it on as occasionally they would play a Junior Brown track. Occasionally also a Shaver track, imagine sort of Jonny Cash with Stevie Ray Vaughan on guitar but was multi instrumentalist Eddy Shaver playing with his dad Billie Joe on vocals. In-between there was a lot of saccharine shite but Junior Brown and Shaver excellent. Junior has done much the same thing for forty years but what a thing. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11898
    Scott Henderson

• dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 571
    edited February 27
    Mason Stoops
    Harrison Whitford
     Adam Brisbin
    Adam Levy
    Buck Meek
    Madison Cunningham
    Jessica Dobson
    Blake Mills
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 186
    edited February 25
    Yes, buck Meek is so clever.

Michael Jablonka is excellent. He’s been part of Michael Kiwanuka’s band since the start. Kiwanuka is also an incredible guitarist who rarely feels the need to show off. 
  • edited February 25
    Not really a case of 'never heard of', since he made 64 albums and sold 45 million records, but he is more certainly well known by most people as a singer and occasional actor, with people perhaps not realising that he was a session guitarist with the wrecking crew before he found fame in his own right with his fantastic voice, and that's Glen Campbell. But, if you thought he was just a good singer, check this video out - in particular the guitar break from 1 minute 20 onwards - and you'll see what a fantastic guitar player he was too, and of note, you can see that guitar legends Roy Clark and Willie Nelson are watching it with admiration. Awesome performance of a great song:

My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    Blake Mills - maybe at least as well known as a producer/songwriter and side man, but he’s a good player, too

Ella Feinstein - funk / RnB session player, but I came across her via Instagram where she breaks down classic RnB, Motown, JBs style parts. 

I really like Madison Cunningham’s playing, too. There’s a great Covid period cover she does of ‘Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us’ on a guitar with a rubber bridge which is great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McG said:
    Blake Mills - maybe at least as well known as a producer/songwriter and side man, but he’s a good player, too

Ella Feinstein - funk / RnB session player, but I came across her via Instagram where she breaks down classic RnB, Motown, JBs style parts. 

I really like Madison Cunningham’s playing, too. There’s a great Covid period cover she does of ‘Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us’ on a guitar with a rubber bridge which is great.
    At the risk of this just turning into an 'underrated guitarist' thread, Blake Mills brings to mind Taylor Goldsmith of Dawes...some really nice playing on their albums.

+1 for Madison Cunningham...'Revealer' was a great album with some really unusual guitar parts.
  • Grace Bowers.
    But it's too late because I've heard of her now. 
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    DJ Khaled 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Toy Caldwell.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    sev112 said:
    Ed Speight
    Let's hear it for Ed, great player.  GIT Wapping 1993.

And Nicholas Meier.

• WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 359
    Barry Shitpeas
    monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5630
    Jamison Passuite - fronts a US band named Handsome Jack, a rootsy, blues based funky three piece.  No fretboard histrionics but a solid player and a very listenable band.

Nalle Colt - guitarist for Vintage Trouble, similar sort of vein as above but doesn't mind stretching his chops a bit.

Both make excellent music.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.