Mary Poppins film age rating raised

What's Hot

Comments

• TimcitoTimcito Frets: 782
    Things are so much nicer in here now that it's turned into a Poirot thread!!
    Okay, now you're behaving like a hottentot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    I have an issue with raising the rating. Only PG? If they'd raised it to 18 then it would have been a lot easier to imagine Bert and Mary shagging the living daylights out of each other. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22879
    merlin said:
    I have an issue with raising the rating. Only PG? If they'd raised it to 18 then it would have been a lot easier to imagine Bert and Mary shagging the living daylights out of each other. 
    Your imagination is entirely unshackled from the whims and foibles of the BBFC.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18778
    Philly_Q said:
    merlin said:
    Unshackled? Borderline unhinged...
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited March 1
    merlin said:

I never went near her

dontcha know, gorblimey
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24286
    Sporky said:
    I still really enjoyed his version of Orient Express. I've not seen the others yet, but will.
    Me too.

2nd one- -not so good but the shonky CGI is off putting.

3rd one is better than 2.
    Cranky said:
    Pjon said:
    Philly_Q said:

Huge wiz, friend.  So well said.

I think Timcito might need to get out of Florida
    He'll never leave.

With his grasp of facts and ability to argue wrong positions without ever admitting he was wrong means the locals will make him Governor in a few years.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11765
    Philly_Q said:
    merlin said:
    "I say children spit spot, I was here on time and Bert spent the whole night doing me up the wrongun..."
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    Philly_Q said:
    Well, let's get it heated up again... I think the three Branagh Poirot films are absolute shite.
    In comparison to Suchet on the telly, or to the three famous films?
    Timcito said:
    Philly_Q said:
    ^^ If you really want to get into the case of Poirot specifically, he himself is largely putting on an act as an "eccentric foreigner".  I believe it's mentioned in the books that he plays up his Belgian accent and poor English to disarm people, and in one of the later books it is, I think, confirmed that he wears a hairpiece and false moustache, at least in old age.  So the Poirot actors are playing a character, playing a character, which I think gives licence to ham it up as much as they wish.
    I don't 'really want to get into' anything. I'm just suggesting an idea which may be interesting, that's all.
    No you are not.

All you do is move the goalposts. Every time an argument has run its course on a particular point and any reasonable person would admit that their position might have been a bit wrong you instead move the goalposts.

That you do not realise we all see it is both amazing and a hugely entertaining distraction.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 782
    Sporky said:
    And mischaracterisation. Is anyone in the thread (apart from Florida Man) actually "bristling with outrage"? 
    Surely, you jest! Did we not all share a little communal Fretboard bristle over the Ustinov pic? I know I did. 
    You can ask for the "fretboard bristle" in an intimate grooming parlour ya know...
    edited March 1
    Philly_Q said:
    Well, let's get it heated up again... I think the three Branagh Poirot films are absolute shite.
    In comparison to Suchet on the telly, or to the three famous films?
    In an absolute sense.

But if I must compare, I think the '70s Murder on the Orient Express is pretty good, but one of those bloated "all star cast" films they were prone to in those days.  I think Finney himself is dreadful.  I like the Ustinov films, but I don't really think of Ustinov as Poirot.  The Branagh films are perfectly alright (Death on the Nile, not so much), but they're not doing anything any better (or significantly worse) than the previous film and TV adaptations.  I do think Suchet became the definitive Poirot, partly because he appeared in so many adaptations, but also because he was so good from the very start.

Christie adaptations are a bit like Bond films for me, all basically tripe but I will always watch them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28268
    Finney will never be un-bettered as Poirot. He went past ham and into a pork-based eldritch nightmare of gargantuan proportions. Worst Poirot ever, including all the ones yet to be cast. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    not seen it, but it sounds like it was bad on a quantum level.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

I might have overstated a bit for comic effect.

But I chose not to. 
    One more thing about Murder on the Orient Express... in a way it's my least favourite Christie because once you know whodunnit, there's no way you could ever forget.  Whereas with most of her other stories, the killer's identity is so completely random that I could watch them once every few years and still be surprised. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    Philly_Q said:
    One more thing about Murder on the Orient Express... in a way it's my least favourite Christie because once you know whodunnit, there's no way you could ever forget.  
    Same with Mary Poppins. Once you've learned that it's all Emmeline Pankhurst's fault, there's no going back. 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7246
    Were there any Hottentots, or people dressed up to resemble Hottentots, in Murder on the Orient Express?
    We are veering dangerously away from the original topic  :)
    I think it's a shame that such a lovely word was used for being racist. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom