Mary Poppins film age rating raised

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24562
    ICBM said:
    Hootsmon said:
    The Jungle Book will be up for slaughter soon with the ape jazz musicians
    It already is - in fact if I remember rightly it was even criticised for it on release, with King Louie in particular being interpreted as a racist caricature. It sort-of is, but I honestly think it would go over the heads of most kids and thus not be as harmful. The Song Of The South is much worse.

The Nightmare Before Christmas has been criticised for Oogie Boogie being an obviously 'black' character too - hence why his song was done as an instrumental on the Nightmare Revisited album, I think.
    The best version of that tune...

With the astonishingly deep voiced Geoff Castelluci - managing one of the deepest notes ever recorded at the end.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5163
    Hootsmon said:
    Nope. 

It was re-classified in 2013 and remains in the U classification. The detailed advice from the BBFC notes the "discriminatory stereotypes" in the film, but doesn't alter the classification for them.

https://www.bbfc.co.uk/release/the-jungle-book-q29sbgvjdglvbjpwwc00otg1mda

Disney preface lots of their older works on Disney+ with exactly the sort of disclaimers someone earlier in this thread suggested- "this film is old, and reflects values of its time, some of which are not really OK any more", or words to that effect. I suspect that as and when they re-release any of them in the cinema they'll do something similar.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11943
    ICBM said:
    Hootsmon said:
    It already is - in fact if I remember rightly it was even criticised for it on release, with King Louie in particular being interpreted as a racist caricature. 
    Kinda... if Louie had been played by a black artist that may well stand up - but he wasn't.  He was played by the wonderful Louis Prima.  I do get your general point though.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 726
    Old white guy privilege. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    edited February 28
    IIRC King Louie was supposed to have been voiced by Louis Armstrong but in a rare moment of awareness Disney realised that portraying a black man as an ape might not go down well. So the character was voiced by Louis Prima instead. Unfortunately Prima's Italian American accent sounds like someone caricaturing African Americans to many ears. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23041
    IIRC King Louie was supposed to have been voiced by Louis Armstrong but in a rare moment of awareness Disney realised that portraying a black man as an ape might not go down well. So the character was voiced by Louis Prima instead. Unfortunately Prima's Italian American accent sounds like someone caricaturing African Americans to many ears. 
    I have to admit, until today I thought Louis Prima was African American.  I guess I'd never seen a picture of him.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72549
    To be fair, none of it is as bad as Mickey Rooney in Breakfast At Tiffany's.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 28
    ICBM said:
    Which I assume now comes with a warning.

Hmmm, what about You Only Live Twice...?  They don't show Fu Manchu, Charlie Chan or Mr Moto movies any more so I guess they're not so much of an issue.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28650
    Where do we rate John Wayne as Genghis Khan? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    Not highly.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7087
    edited February 28
    ICBM said:
    And of course, the lighthearted 1975 Disney comedy One Of Our Dinosaurs is missing, which features Peter Ustinov as a Chinese spy in what would be regarded now as a hugely offensive racial caricature.

Still rated U.  My kids have seen it, but not before a quiet chat with me beforehand about why it was acceptable at the time but not today.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72549
    Philly_Q said:

Hmmm, what about You Only Live Twice...?
    The ridiculous Japanese get-up Sean Connery wears is in the book, so it possibly has to be retained - in a way it's so laughable that it's not even racist, since he makes no attempt at an accent or any of the stereotypical mannerisms really. Shir Sean was a good Bond, but never a good actor.

I used to rate YOLT as among the best Bonds, but to be honest it's really the one where the series jumped the shark, with the crazy villain's lair and all the other stuff that's become so much of the clichéd 'Bond movie' that now I'm not sure...

Cols said:

And of course, the lighthearted 1975 Disney comedy One Of Our Dinosaurs is missing, which features Peter Ustinov as a Chinese spy in what would be regarded now as a hugely offensive racial caricature.
    I'd forgotten all about that! I saw it as a child, but I don't think it's even crossed my mind in the last forty years.

It may well be reclassified at some point - I doubt they can do all of them at once.

Sporky said:
    As perhaps the worst miscasting in history? I've never actually seen it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

Hmmm, what about You Only Live Twice...?
    The ridiculous Japanese get-up Sean Connery wears is in the book, so it possibly has to be retained - in a way it's so laughable that it's not even racist, since he makes no attempt at an accent or any of the stereotypical mannerisms really. Shir Sean was a good Bond, but never a good actor.

I used to rate YOLT as among the best Bonds, but to be honest it's really the one where the series jumped the shark, with the crazy villain's lair and all the other stuff that's become so much of the clichéd 'Bond movie' that now I'm not sure...
    I've never liked it, and that's largely down to Connery's ridiculous Japanese disguise, those scenes made me cringe when I first saw the film, and they still do.  I think the supporting cast is fairly boring too, and although people always go on about Roald Dahl's involvement in the script it's no better than any other '60s Bond film.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18932
    When I was at school in the dark ages, in music lessons we were often obliged to sing 'hearty' stirring songs like 'The British Grenadiers' & others such as the traditional sea shanty “Johnny Come Down To Hilo".
     Even then, aged 14-15, we knew what was cringeworthy. Sadly the music teacher didn't get it.
    No, not ringing any bells?
    Try reading the first verse of the lyrics, then have a think about how it would go down at your next traditional family singalong...
    https://traditionalshanties.com/2022/09/04/johnny-come-down-to-hilo/
    People used to like all sorts of shit  =)
    edited February 28
    I remember watching something about the making of the wizard of Oz. 
    Apparently they gave all the actors pep pills (speed) during the day for filming then sleeping pills at night, for weeks/months at a time. Some of the makeup used was toxic, highly carcinogenic and left permanent scars.

Nothing to do with anything really, just thought it was a bit mad 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    ICBM said:
    Hootsmon said:
    It already is - in fact if I remember rightly it was even criticised for it on release, with King Louie in particular being interpreted as a racist caricature. I

wasnt he meant to represent Cab Calloway ??
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    bertie said:
    ICBM said:
    Hootsmon said:
    It already is - in fact if I remember rightly it was even criticised for it on release, with King Louie in particular being interpreted as a racist caricature. I

wasnt he meant to represent Cab Calloway ??
    No…

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5163
    ICBM said:

Cols said:

I'd forgotten all about that! I saw it as a child, but I don't think it's even crossed my mind in the last forty years.

It may well be reclassified at some point - I doubt they can do all of them at once.

The ones they've done so far have been the ones they've re-released I think. They may want to forget about some of their back catalogue.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11855
    ICBM said:

It's conspicuously absent from Disney Plus...

It was never that good and it's incredibly racist, might be for the best...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...