Mary Poppins film age rating raised

What's Hot

Comments

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 726
    edited February 28
    ICBM said:

And of course, the lighthearted 1975 Disney comedy One Of Our Dinosaurs is missing, which features Peter Ustinov as a Chinese spy in what would be regarded now as a hugely offensive racial caricature.
    I'd forgotten all about that! I saw it as a child, but I don't think it's even crossed my mind in the last forty years.

It may well be reclassified at some point - I doubt they can do all of them at once.
    It's conspicuously absent from Disney Plus...

It was never that good and it's incredibly racist, might be for the best...
    I watched it at my primary school 'cinema night" that they occasionally had on a Friday evening.
    Funnily enough casual racism was pretty rife at that school. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3044
    Just watched Alfred Hitchcock presents, and it begins with an intro by Alfred standing in a line of beauty contestants with a tape measure, telling the audience (whilst looking at the contestants breasts) that he needs to leer at them a little longer and will be back after the story is told.

Dirty old bugger.

No warning before the programme about baldy, fat, old perverts letching at women. I'm expecting a mass of complaints from the 200 people who watched it. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28650
    I loved One If Our Dinosaurs Is Missing as a littl'un. The racism went completely over my head. 

I saw it again a few/some years ago and it was a bit of an eye opener.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KevSKevS Frets: 492
    edited February 29
    I loved Hong Kong Phooey as a Kid..When I was in my 30's I saw it again,,when I heard his voice..I'm going Wow,,this is one laid back African American...     The Chicka Chong bit in the theme tune..Kind of like the Hottentot thing...Although it is kind of like Wah Wah Watson done with human voice instead..

Still love how the Cat does all the work..

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    hottentot ?   christ you'd best not google supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10320
    bertie said:
    hottentot ?   christ you'd best not google supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Google it? I can't even say it!

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11943
    KevS said:
    I loved Hong Kong Phooey as a Kid..When I was in my 30's I saw it again,,when I heard his voice..I'm going Wow,,this is one laid back African American... 

HKP was voiced by Scatman Crothers, who played Dick Hallorann in Kubrick's The Shining :-)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KevSKevS Frets: 492
    Offset said:
    KevS said:
    I loved Hong Kong Phooey as a Kid..When I was in my 30's I saw it again,,when I heard his voice..I'm going Wow,,this is one laid back African American... 

HKP was voiced by Scatman Crothers, who played Dick Hallorann in Kubrick's The Shining :-)
    That makes it even more cool now...
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 726
    When you think about films that have been banned, video nasties and such.

In the Internet era most of it seems pretty tame really. 
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
    Way back Laurel and Hardy dress in make up as black folk to get away from mobsters or jailers or something and Stan messes up and calls Ollie,Ollie but immediately corrects himself with "oh I meant Sambo"

Don't know if that has been sorted
    tae be or not tae be
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11852
    Shrews said:
    Just watched Alfred Hitchcock presents, and it begins with an intro by Alfred standing in a line of beauty contestants with a tape measure, telling the audience (whilst looking at the contestants breasts) that he needs to leer at them a little longer and will be back after the story is told.

Dirty old bugger.

No warning before the programme about baldy, fat, old perverts letching at women. I'm expecting a mass of complaints from the 200 people who watched it. 
    Of course as is now widely known - Hitchcock was of course all these things, and ruined Tippi Hedren's career because she wouldn't sleep with him.

He's far from alone in that guilt (or there would have been no need for #metoo) - but as brilliant a film-maker as he was, he was a pretty poor human being who made great art.

Hollywood has always had an appalling attitude to women generally, just like the music industry!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23041
    Hootsmon said:
    Way back Laurel and Hardy dress in make up as black folk to get away from mobsters or jailers or something and Stan messes up and calls Ollie,Ollie but immediately corrects himself with "oh I meant Sambo"

Don't know if that has been sorted
    When's the last time you saw a Laurel & Hardy film on TV?  They've all but disappeared.  I don't think many of them are on Blu-ray, either.  All quite strange, when I think how often I saw them as a kid. 
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 336
    I always knew Mary Poppins was a wrong 'un, so it's vindication at last!
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 798
    edited February 29
    Cols said:
    ICBM said:
    To be fair, none of it is as bad as Mickey Rooney in Breakfast At Tiffany's.
    And of course, the lighthearted 1975 Disney comedy One Of Our Dinosaurs is missing, which features Peter Ustinov as a Chinese spy in what would be regarded now as a hugely offensive racial caricature.

Still rated U.  My kids have seen it, but not before a quiet chat with me beforehand about why it was acceptable at the time but not today.
    How do you feel about Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Timcito said:
    Cols said:
    ICBM said:

Still rated U.  My kids have seen it, but not before a quiet chat with me beforehand about why it was acceptable at the time but not today.
    A white European actor playing a white European character isn’t quite the same.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15611
    Timcito said:
    Cols said:
    ICBM said:

borderline absurdum ad reductio now. Seriously dude, there's no set of wine glasses if you get the full set.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    VimFuego said:
    Timcito said:
    Cols said:
    ICBM said:

borderline absurdum ad reductio now. Seriously dude, there's no set of wine glasses if you get the full set.
    Come again? 
    Timcito said:
    Cols said:
    ICBM said:

A white European actor playing a white European character isn’t quite the same.
    Hercule Poirot is, let's say, "eccentrically Gallic"; is that permissible?
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11852
    There is a mildly racist portrayal of the Egyptian boat manager in Death on the Nile if I remember correctly.

Nothing in Ustinovs performance as Poirot plays as racist to me, he is simply eccentric.

The recent Poirot movies with Ken Branagh dial back the eccentricity a bit, but that's more down to their darker tone.

Albert Finney goes all in as Poirot of course, but again that could just as easily be an eccentric English man with a different accent.

One of our dinosaurs... which has White actors made up as Chinese people in Chinese outfits, very bad Chinese accents, and the Chinese being endlessly two-faced, another racist stereotype, isn't in the same ball park.  They also all do kung-fu and Ustinov makes an odd noise like a cat all the time.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    edited March 1
    I think it’s interesting and fundamentally good that we know so much more about child psychology and that we use it to inform what children are shown.

All children are essentially captive audiences.  I can remember many things that I was shown or was allowed to see that messed me up.  But kids rarely say anything; they just go with it and become desensitized if it happens enough.  Racism, sexism, physical abuse, mental abuse, etc.  All kinds of ways to objectify and dehumanize people, naturalized through media.  Having kids of my own now, I’m so much more aware now of where my own path forked off in the wrong direction at times.