International women's day: guitarist edition

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-64723201.amp

Yes there's a men's one too, just incase anyone was going to get upset.

Seeing Chantel McGregor over the weekend rip some awesome solos along with Cici bass being part of the tightest rhythm Section,.it's really great to see more women in the scene offering something new.  I saw Joanne Shaw Taylor years ago and played rings around the mor established blooz acts.  Along with Mary Spender, Nili Brosh, Alyssa Day etc also putting out quality music, it's definitely something to celebrate and work on being more inclusive for everyone here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chris78chris78 Frets: 9312
    Guitar playing is definitely male dominated, but nobody could even begin to think that a lady wasn't as capable of being as good at guitar as a man
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1067
    Grace Bowers FTW.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    chris78 said:
    Guitar playing is definitely male dominated, but nobody could even begin to think that a lady wasn't as capable of being as good at guitar as a man
    Lady?
    Or woman?
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18773
    octatonic said:
    chris78 said:
    Lady?
    Or woman?
    Just as well I checked before posting the same point.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Women have been invariably in the minority in the history of rock and pop. I recommend the Suzi Quatro documentary to see how a highly motivated and talented woman was still assumed to have to defer to men for a long time. Or read an interview with Joan Armatrading where she talks about the assumption that she couldn't play guitar as well as the men in her band (eventually not taking a second guitarist on the road with her). And every time an attractive woman picks up an instrument that they are simply selling on their sexuality (again the history of pop and rock suggests that this is largely a terrible tactic, although does seem to help with YouTube views). 
    I'm of an age where the greatest influence was Deidre Cartwright, a much overlooked British great although you will see her name in the fine print of many guitar tutorials. I have posted a couple of clips on here recently of Molly Miller who is just a damn fine player and behind that teaches guitar and develops the Gibson tuition programme. Joanne Shaw Taylor has already been mentioned and whilst there seems to be open house on criticising her on here she's one of the handful of modern blues based players capable of keeping my attention (and just done a nice Joan Armatrading cover). 
    Anyway, rambling aside happy International Women's Day. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 366
    octatonic said:
    chris78 said:
    Lady?
    Or woman?
    I'm not being deliberately obtuse here, but I genuinely don't understand what you're saying. 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    Sister Rosetta Tharpe

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1067
    chris78 said:
    Never understood this way of thinking.  It's so antiquated and ridiculous TBH.  It's like it's naturally accepted that women can be amazing violinists or cellists but as soon as a woman plays guitar or bass it's like "OMG that's unbelievable that she can physically do that!".  It's actually much harder to play violin/cello if you ask me.    
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1411
    edited March 8
    I'm sad that there's got to be awareness rasing ... but happy to hear about all the great musicians!

Some of the biggliest names,  that don't even need mentioning:

More recently there's been Gretchen Menn, Molly Tuttle, of course Anne Clarke ... and others

Before that, Aimee Mann, Kim Deal, Tanya Donelly, Shonen Knife... and others

Before that, Kim Gordon, Chrissie Hynde, Carol Kaye, Joan Baez and others , before that ... well it goes back a long way - But please, no-one mention Elizabeth Cotten, Sister Rosetta Tharpe or Memphis Minnie.

Just remember - Talent is equally distributed, opportunity is not.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    Well i did piano lessons as a child, my practice was supervised by my nan and my piano teacher was a formidable woman (translation, absolutely terrifying), so without their input, a lot of money would have been wasted and i'd never have the music in me that I do now, I suppose. Whether that's a good thing for others I don't like to say but I'm happy about it

So many great female and female identifying musicians, that listing my favourites won't do anything except miss out those who don't make the list but are equally as valid.

I'm glad they exist(ed) and wish that opportunity for expression and success fall more equally amongst them all in future.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    One of my favourite guitarists around at the moment is Nita Strauss. Absolute cracker of a solo on this track:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9312
    octatonic said:
    chris78 said:
    Lady?
    Or woman?
    Lady
    Woman
    Female
    Member of the opposite sex
    Gal
    Broad

Whatever tickles you
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6491
    chris78 said:
    octatonic said:
    chris78 said:
    Lady?
    Or woman?
    Lady
    Woman
    Female
    Gal
    Broad

Whatever tickles you
    Is that all they are to you, something to tickle you?!
    MISOGYNIST.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26587

Joanne Shaw Taylor has already been mentioned and whilst there seems to be open house on criticising her on here she's one of the handful of modern blues based players capable of keeping my attention (and just done a nice Joan Armatrading cover). 
    It's not exactly "open house on criticising her on here", near as I can tell it's just a couple of people who don't like her music. Far fewer, for example, than criticise Satriani or Vai for leaving them cold and "meh".

chris78 said:
    octatonic said:
    chris78 said:
    Lady?
    Or woman?
    Lady
    Woman
    Female
    Gal
    Broad

Whatever tickles you
    A couple of these are not like the others. How about we try to avoid the less flattering language about women in a thread on International Women's Day?

Astonishing idea, I know.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    tFB Trader
    Sister Rosetta Tharpe

Think first woman guitarist I became aware of was Emily Remler then followed by Sister Rosetta Tharpe - Totally different players 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    tFB Trader
    Wearing my daughters hat, surely Taylor Swift sits at the top of influences today for music - She plays guitar, banjo, piano - Records and writes on all 3 - Not sure if she writes all her own songs or not - But certainly prominent as a song writer and musician 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom