You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11806
    OK... that's enough for now :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23012
    @darthed1981 I guess I asked for that.  :3

Do you like The Pretty Reckless, by the way?  Certainly worthy of a mention here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:

Do you like The Pretty Reckless, by the way?  Certainly worthy of a mention here.
    Love them - not sure how I missed them to be honest!

and... with a bit of help from Tom Morello...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    Defying a few conventions and assumptions the amazing Voice of Baceprot (basically, the voice of noise): 

https://youtu.be/WPVo_QyS0Hw?si=b7JTsw6kabrnRQvR
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Defying a few conventions and assumptions the amazing Voice of Baceprot (basically, the voice of noise): 

https://youtu.be/WPVo_QyS0Hw?si=b7JTsw6kabrnRQvR
    Interesting, thanks :)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23012
    Philly_Q said:

And we are in agreement!  Very good band, some great songs, but for me it's mostly Taylor Momsen's voice... she is fucking unbelievable.  I'm listening to "Witches Burn" now and it makes me cry, purely because her voice is so awesome.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 686
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:

And we are in agreement!  Very good band, some great songs, but for me it's mostly Taylor Momsen's voice... she is fucking unbelievable.  I'm listening to "Witches Burn" now and it makes me cry, purely because her voice is so awesome.
    Yeah, not really my kind of music, but really strong voice! 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14517
    The Shaggs.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PLOPPLOP Frets: 293
    edited March 8
     https://youtu.be/TXCjEKpwtRc?si=x7FYpYZrBCEJ-u_R

I totally have a thing for Emma Ruth Rundle. I like strong women, the fact that she also writes incredible music is a bonus! 

Edit, I dunno how to make the video embedded. This is a live session, it’s very good. Dark folky, post-rock sort of thing. No idea what to describe her style as. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11949
    Thinking about it, in rock, blues, jazz, reggae, I can't think of many bands historically that had any, or even one female musician. It was pretty much all male in most famous rock bands for example. So not just guitarists, where were the female bass, drums, keys?
    All-girl-musician bands were seen as a bit of a novelty in the 70s, mind you the music biz liked any novelty IIRC.

Were guys that more interested in forming bands? Was it one of those blokey things where guys like to adopt a complicated hobby, like playing guitar (whereas learning classical instruments would be driven by parents and schools, and I'd assume more evenly balanced male/female - hence orchestras looking a lot more mixed).
    And on the subject of criticizing any female guitarists music rather than their playing, I think that's probably OK really:
    I criticize most male guitarists' albums - very few top guitarists are good songwriters.
    Even my favourite players have mostly produced albums that are patchy at best for the material.

So - people have shared many female guitarists names and videos on this thread, but most are quite recent.
    Were there always lots around, but youtube and social media makes it easier now to get well-known, were labels disinterested in them before, or mostly-male bands didn't want to play with them, or are more women learning to play nowadays?
  • PLOPPLOP Frets: 293
    I hate to be “the guy” @ToneControl , but could it just be down to the patriarchy? 

”Only boys are allowed to use instruments, women would just make a mess of it” types of attitudes. “Women can sing, if they want, but learning complicated music and playing an instrument is a man’s job”. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s where it comes from, like in school maybe the boys got music while girls did something that was typically the woman’s role? 

Completely willing to admit I’m talking out my arse here. Got nothing to back anything up with. 
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3036
    edited March 8
    Anna Calvi is a superb guitarist - saw her live, put on one hell of a show with her guitar playing the star of the show. 
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1129
    edited March 8
    So - people have shared many female guitarists names and videos on this thread, but most are quite recent.
    Were there always lots around, but youtube and social media makes it easier now to get well-known, were labels disinterested in them before, or mostly-male bands didn't want to play with them, or are more women learning to play nowadays?
    I think it's the latter. If there were a lot of female guitarists back before social media there would have been more of them on talk shows, magazines, documentaries news, and even bands because the wow factor back then was even greater than it is now. World was also way more conservative back then. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7058
    tFB Trader
    June Millington and Fanny are brilliant.

Check out some older videos of them in their heyday.

• bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    Any mention of Molly Tuttle yet?
    There are a few recent youtube clips (Guitarist Magazine perhaps) with Tommy Emmanuel, that are astonishing.

Anna Calvi is a superb guitarist - saw her live, put on one hell of a show with her guitar playing the start of the show. 
    Another good one, she's brilliant.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4114
    Come on we all know Tina S is the best female Guitarist ever.