International women's day: guitarist edition

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294

Joanne Shaw Taylor has already been mentioned and whilst there seems to be open house on criticising her on here she's one of the handful of modern blues based players capable of keeping my attention (and just done a nice Joan Armatrading cover). 
    It's not exactly "open house on criticising her on here", near as I can tell it's just a couple of people who don't like her music. Far fewer, for example, than criticise Satriani or Vai for leaving them cold and "meh".

Well, yes one of many players people seem to like to criticise without often apparently much knowledge of them and, let's face it, I'm highly prone to exaggeration (or am I...). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattharrierMattharrier Frets: 454
    Rebecca Lovell of Larkin Poe
    Arielle
    Susan Tedeschi
    Bonnie Raitt
    Nancy Wilson
    St Vincent
    Joni Mitchell

Loads of great female guitarists. Less than there are male ones - I wonder if the kind of theatrics that gets male guitarists noticed is something that females are less bothered by, and so they get noticed less? Maybe rock is just a bit too simplistic and childish for most of them so they get on with something more important :D
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26586
    edited March 8

I wonder if the kind of theatrics that gets male guitarists noticed is something that females are less bothered by, and so they get noticed less? Maybe rock is just a bit too simplistic and childish for most of them so they get on with something more important D
    Erm...

On that subject, how has Jennifer Batten not been mentioned so far?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 780
    chris78 said:
    Guitar playing is definitely male dominated, but nobody could even begin to think that a lady wasn't as capable of being as good at guitar as a man
    Never understood this way of thinking.  It's so antiquated and ridiculous TBH.  It's like it's naturally accepted that women can be amazing violinists or cellists but as soon as a woman plays guitar or bass it's like "OMG that's unbelievable that she can physically do that!".  It's actually much harder to play violin/cello if you ask me.    
    Of course, women can be amazing at any instrument, just as men can. The problem with rock guitar-playing is that it has associative historical baggage. The rock guitarist is the 'bad boy,' the Marlon Brando, James Dean , Dean Moriarty, wild one, rebel, biker, man-with-no-name gunslinger, wild rover, hard lovin' man, hope-I-die-before-I-get-old romantic, and countless other stuff. Women simply don't have the rebellious-bohemian-outsider history and folklore that young men do. The classic rock guitarist was more than a musician; he was a symbol for disaffected youth based on a shared cultural perception. A woman pummeling a distorted guitar and pulling eff-you poses is going to be a much more difficult act to pull when the cultural associations of girls and womanhood are in such contrast to the rebellious image of rock.
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1067
    Wearing my daughters hat, surely Taylor Swift sits at the top of influences today for music - She plays guitar, banjo, piano - Records and writes on all 3 - Not sure if she writes all her own songs or not - But certainly prominent as a song writer and musician 
    But in terms of this topic of female guitarists, I suspect as good as she is at it her Swifties aren't guitar-hunting because they were influenced by her.  Similar to Prince who we know was an amazing guitarist (and everything else) but is rarely mentioned  in discussions about influential guitarists, or cited as the reason for wanting to learn guitar..      
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3589
    Nancy Wilson has been playing some fantastic guitar since the mid 70s as a major international star. 
    As a very broad generalisation in times past, the male of the species tended to be over confident in their abilities and social standing whereas the female tended to be less so. Now there are plenty above and below those averages making the generalisations just that. The modern yoofs of today are not quite so fitting of those previous social norms and happily we are seeing a broader spread of gender playing guitar, often the attention to study detail makes some females astonishing technicians on the fretboard.
    The great thing about generalisations is that we can all poke holes in them with wonderful exceptions.
    All hail international women’s day. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 642
    Timcito said:
    chris78 said:
    Guitar playing is definitely male dominated, but nobody could even begin to think that a lady wasn't as capable of being as good at guitar as a man
    Never understood this way of thinking.  It's so antiquated and ridiculous TBH.  It's like it's naturally accepted that women can be amazing violinists or cellists but as soon as a woman plays guitar or bass it's like "OMG that's unbelievable that she can physically do that!".  It's actually much harder to play violin/cello if you ask me.    
    Of course, women can be amazing at any instrument, just as men can. The problem with rock guitar-playing is that it has associative historical baggage. The rock guitarist is the 'bad boy,' the Marlon Brando, James Dean , Dean Moriarty, wild one, rebel, biker, man-with-no-name gunslinger, wild rover, hard lovin' man, hope-I-die-before-I-get-old romantic, and countless other stuff. Women simply don't have the rebellious-bohemian-outsider history and folklore that young men do. The classic rock guitarist was more than a musician; he was a symbol for disaffected youth based on a shared cultural perception. A woman pummeling a distorted guitar and pulling eff-you poses is going to be a much more difficult act to pull when the cultural associations of girls and womanhood are in such contrast to the rebellious image of rock.
    In the 50s. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22859
    edited March 8
    I can't honestly say there are women guitarists among my absolute favourite players, but as has been observed there are many more male than female players out there.  I hope rock is not "too simplistic and childish for most of them", because that's what I like to listen to...

I love Veruca Salt, not amazing technicians but what a great band.  Samantha Fish is great.  I've been aware of Jennifer Batten for 40 years, since she was featured in Mike Varney's Spotlight column in Guitar Player.  And I think YouTuber Tina S is phenomenal - she disappeared for quite some time but has resurfaced recently with a band (and a lot of tattoos).

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    tFB Trader
    Tal Wilkenfield - okay I know a bass player- but let’s not get persnickety about bass or guitar on this thread - She earned the right to play with the likes of Jeff Beck
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 359
    PJ Harvey, incredible musician.
    monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

• LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1067
    Tal Wilkenfield - okay I know a bass player- but let’s not get persnickety about bass or guitar on this thread - She earned the right to play with the likes of Jeff Beck
    At such a young age as well, which was what amazed me.  Didn't care that she was female but to be so young to land a gig like that, have the confidence and stage presence to hang with Beck and Vinnie Colaiuta.  To the point where Colaiuta agreed to drum for her on her debut album and that's not something even more established and mature musicians can brag about.  And that's the other thing - to release a bass-centric jazz album at that age is unbelievable enough.  

Another bassist to add - Kinga Glyk.  Now collaborating with Michael League and Sput from Snarky Puppy on her next album.  
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    tFB Trader
    Wearing my daughters hat, surely Taylor Swift sits at the top of influences today for music - She plays guitar, banjo, piano - Records and writes on all 3 - Not sure if she writes all her own songs or not - But certainly prominent as a song writer and musician 
    But in terms of this topic of female guitarists, I suspect as good as she is at it her Swifties aren't guitar-hunting because they were influenced by her.  Similar to Prince who we know was an amazing guitarist (and everything else) but is rarely mentioned  in discussions about influential guitarists, or cited as the reason for wanting to learn guitar..      
    Yes I suppose more of a singer/song writer vibe about her, who happens to play guitar - Similar to Bowie and others

But she is one of the few artists to have her name on a brand of guitar - Along with Sam Fender, Michael Jackson and John Squire
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 780
    I thought Poison Ivy in The Cramps was impressive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4526

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11297
    Let's get an expert opinion. 

Who's got Joey Barton's contact details?

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11297
    Get on YouTube and find the clip of Dolly Parton on guitar and vocals with Emmylou Harris and Linda Ronstadt. (can't do links on my phone)

She's no slouch on guitar and may well be one of the most talented people of the last hundred years when you consider all the things she's not only done but done really, really well. 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4163

I wonder if the kind of theatrics that gets male guitarists noticed is something that females are less bothered by, and so they get noticed less? Maybe rock is just a bit too simplistic and childish for most of them so they get on with something more important D
    Erm...

On that subject, how has Jennifer Batten not been mentioned so far?
    Love Jennifer Battens playing in the 80s early 90s 
    Contemporary faves are Nili Brosh ,Nita Strauss, Sophie Lloyd  
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1125
    How has no one mentioned Mimi?
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18772
    edited March 8
    Interesting read relating to Jennifer Batten here. Smart feisty, talented player.
    https://www.guitarworld.com/features/jennifer-batten-2022
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22859
    S56035 said:
    How has no one mentioned Mimi?
    I didn't know she played guitar.

Sue Hodge Fan Page  Mimi Labonq Allo Allo comedienne actress