New Hipster Camera!

What's Hot

Comments

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 652
    edited March 24
    Offset said:
    You've piqued my interest @RaymondLin - there's a bit of me that's fed up with capturing some great events on a bloody iPhone.  Googling :-)

* EDIT - feck!  £1600!!!  OK, the iPhone it is :-)
    You can't really beat a phone for convenience. 
    Easy to edit etc too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I wonder if they will release a slightly lower cost one at some point - same sensor and ibis, evf only and with an 18mm lens. The 40mp sensor let's you crop like nothing anyway - I used to crop 24mp files down to 6mp or so and still get beautiful prints at A3 size (probably beyond!).

Can't wait to see some photos Raymond! Hopefully this product will help reset the bananas prices and I can look for an X100v at a fair price. 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    I wonder if they will release a slightly lower cost one at some point - same sensor and ibis, evf only and with an 18mm lens. The 40mp sensor let's you crop like nothing anyway - I used to crop 24mp files down to 6mp or so and still get beautiful prints at A3 size (probably beyond!).

Can't wait to see some photos Raymond! Hopefully this product will help reset the bananas prices and I can look for an X100v at a fair price. 
    You can already do this yourself. Buy one of the X-E line cameras and put the pancake 18mm on it. Will actually be smaller than an X-100, and a heck of a lot cheaper.

The only thing missing at this point is there's no IBIS in the X-E line, but that'll likely come in the X-E5. 

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    What’s it like compared to past xtrans? I struggled with the ‘waxy’ character on more than one Fuji. Tempted by the 6
    Too early to say, my favourite colour out of a camera is from Canon.

i do have other Fuji..X100, X-Pro1, XT1 and X-S10.  I found the colours on the XT1 very good.  This is the same sensor as the XT5 but I did read a review on this camera which tipped me over the edge. 

I wonder if they will release a slightly lower cost one at some point - same sensor and ibis, evf only and with an 18mm lens. The 40mp sensor let's you crop like nothing anyway - I used to crop 24mp files down to 6mp or so and still get beautiful prints at A3 size (probably beyond!).

You can already do this yourself. Buy one of the X-E line cameras and put the pancake 18mm on it. Will actually be smaller than an X-100, and a heck of a lot cheaper.

The only thing missing at this point is there's no IBIS in the X-E line, but that'll likely come in the X-E5. 

The problem with this tactic is due to the shortage of the X100V for the past few years, people did what you did and got the XE4 with a pancake lens, either the 18 or 27mm, and Fuji tried to increase production by even dropping the XE4, this combined and drove the price of the used XE4 at around £1,000, which is more than new.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3128
    Offset said:
    You've piqued my interest @RaymondLin - there's a bit of me that's fed up with capturing some great events on a bloody iPhone.  Googling :-)

* EDIT - feck!  £1600!!!  OK, the iPhone it is :-)
    But think of all the money you’ll save not having to go to Boots to get the film developed!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    What’s it like compared to past xtrans? I struggled with the ‘waxy’ character on more than one Fuji. Tempted by the 6
    Too early to say, my favourite colour out of a camera is from Canon.

i do have other Fuji..X100, X-Pro1, XT1 and X-S10.  I found the colours on the XT1 very good.  This is the same sensor as the XT5 but I did read a review on this camera which tipped me over the edge. 

The problem with this tactic is due to the shortage of the X100V for the past few years, people did what you did and got the XE4 with a pancake lens, either the 18 or 27mm, and Fuji tried to increase production by even dropping the XE4, this combined and drove the price of the used XE4 at around £1,000, which is more than new.

Yes used prices of all the X-E cameras is mad right now. 

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    When you start looking at prices for used X100Vs or X-E3 or 4s it’s very easy to end up at the X100vi as the best value in the product per £ column. 
    dazzajl said:
    When you start looking at prices for used X100Vs or X-E3 or 4s it’s very easy to end up at the X100vi as the best value in the product per £ column. 
    The best deal I found was £1299 for XT5 at the photography show last week.  But it’s a different style of camera.  I would have got one if I didn’t have the X100vi on order.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    edited March 24
    I have had an XT5 for a year or two and it really is an excellent camera. It was certainly a very worthwhile upgrade from my previous XT3. However, I frequently take out the XT5 with just a 23mm f2 lens attached and leave the other lenses behind. That makes the X100VI with its more compact form factor quite appealing. I did enjoy owning an XE3 with permanently attached 27mm pancake lens alongside the XT3 but, perhaps unwisely, sold that. The X100VI is a huge step up from the XE3.

Congrats Raymond. Like others, I look forward to seeing images that you capture with the new camera.
  • ChimpankieChimpankie Frets: 334
    Why did you show me this? I can barely afford the hobby I have and now I’m googling ‘X100VI reviews’…
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4176
    Ah very nice. I’d love to have a go with one of these. I’m not using my “big” XT3 very much lately but this could get much more use. 

Not sure I want to spend the money though 
    I may well be wrong on this, but from what I've seen the X100VI probably isn't that much smaller than your X-T3...
    Quite a bit less chonky https://pxlmag.com/db/camera-size-comparison/f431d4ff-b8d9f1b1-b60
    Oh wow, yes it really is isn't it? I saw a thumbnail for a video review and thought it looked massive in the guy's hand.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

I've owned way too many Fuji cameras. Too many in that I've changed too often when I've already owned an excellent camera. Gas as usually.

I've owned, in order:

X-E2
    X-T1
    X-T20
    X-T30
    X-T3
    X-S10

And somewhere along an X-M1. 

I'm torn on the range a little. I adore the big EVF of the X-Tx series, but I also prefer smaller cameras. Hence the chopping and changing. 

I've owned way too many Fuji cameras. Too many in that I've changed too often when I've already owned an excellent camera. Gas as usually.

I've owned, in order:

X-E2
    X-T1
    X-T20
    X-T30
    X-T3
    X-S10

And somewhere along an X-M1. 

I'm torn on the range a little. I adore the big EVF of the X-Tx series, but I also prefer smaller cameras. Hence the chopping and changing. 
    I’ve tried and still have

XT1
    Xpro1
    X100
    XS10
    X100VI

I bought them in that order and out of the lot, the XT1 is the gem of them all.  I suspect getting the XT2 would be perfect as an entry camera.  The XPro1 has charms but it is VERY dated now, everything from AF to button layout (no joystick, button placement for AEL is weird, the back of the camera is a 2 hand operation).

XS10 would be the bargain of the lot, XT4 internals can be had for like £600 used but some quirks in its software that forced me not to love it. Mainly the inability to center focus point by clicking down the joy stick.  This is the same in the XS20 too from what I gather when I tried it.
    I didn't like the XT2 when I tried it. Bought it and sent it straight back. The XT3 is really great though. 

I didn't like the XT2 when I tried it. Bought it and sent it straight back. The XT3 is really great though. 
    Interesting? I’ve never tried it…although if I were to replace the XS10, it’ll be either XT5 or XH2.  
  • I wonder if they will release a slightly lower cost one at some point - same sensor and ibis, evf only and with an 18mm lens. The 40mp sensor let's you crop like nothing anyway - I used to crop 24mp files down to 6mp or so and still get beautiful prints at A3 size (probably beyond!).

Xe line isn't all that affordable any more sadly, and no ibis. 

I have the olympus pen epl7 which fits the bill ibis (3 axis but it's honestly pretty good!) and the Panasonic 20mm lens. I may swap that for the pana 14mm or the panaleica 15mm, but that's a much smaller camera than the X100 range and does a similar job... But it's a bit dated, with contrast detect AF and a 16mp sensor, and the ibis in the newer om5 and em1 mark iii is insane. I really think m43 is missing a trick here, while fuji is very happily cashing in on a slightly lucky strategy while they can. OM system and Panasonic also have amazing jpegs - they just didn't name them after film stocks. 

The X100 is unique though, for the viewfinder, leaf shutter and in built flash. All those add up to a wicked camera that makes digital photography really fun. In a similar vein, old ccd digicams are going up in value as young people want something fun, small, light and imperfect. 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3675
    edited March 24
    Try as it might, it ain’t my little Rollei 35….   It’s just making me want to pull the darkroom stuff out of my loft.
    Try as it might, it ain’t my little Rollei 35….   It’s just making me want to pull the darkroom stuff out of my loft.
    I actually want a Rollei 3.5f or sorts
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3675
    edited March 24
    I actually want a Rollei 3.5f or sorts
    Got two of those of my dad’s and a Mamiya C330. I traded my Mamiya 645 toward my Canon DSLR.. a mistake.  I loved medium format in my Uni and darkroom days. A 6x9 folding camera took great old school B&W.  

Just found two Minolta Autocord TLRs in the cupboard too tonight.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom