New Hipster Camera!

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    What's the reason to buy a X100 vi instead of an XT-50 when it comes out (or compare X100 v with XT-30 mk ii)?
    Aren't the size, spec and weight similar?

I have an old XT10 that I need to dust off, I bought a full set of XF lenses with it after I sold my old back-breaking Canon 5D gear.
    With the pancake lens, it is a similar pocketable camera

I have been looking at the X-H2S recently, looks very nice, very tempting.
    XT5 you mean?

Just smaller.  I already have another body (actually 3....A73 and A7R3, that I can use 35mm GM), or I could use my X-S10 with fuji 23/1.4 to achieve the exact same look and recipe if I want to stick with Fuji.  But the X100 is just smaller.  There is also the lack of noise, or VERY quiet shutter in the X100.  It is practically imperceivable in normal everyday noise level.

When I went to Japan, I don't mind carrying the Sony around in the day, but I found in the evening, let's say I am done with that day's main photograph stuff and just want to capture by happenstance, I found the Fuji x100 (original) to be better suited.  On the very last day in Japan I left the Sony A7R3 in my room and spent the whole day with just the original X100.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    In short, if you want to talk about pure spec that is on the X100 and not anywhere else

1 - Leaf shutter - for the silence shooting
    2 - Built in ND filter
    3 - OVF (although I don't really care about this)
    4 - Physically just very compact, if you don't add a hood on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 630
    Glad that at least one person who got hold of one is making good use of it!

Last Fuji I had was an X100T and I wasn't hugely fond of it after the honeymoon period, but clearly I should have let it sit in a cupboard until it became a collectible.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    What's the reason to buy a X100 vi instead of an XT-50 when it comes out (or compare X100 v with XT-30 mk ii)?

I have an old XT10 that I need to dust off, I bought a full set of XF lenses with it after I sold my old back-breaking Canon 5D gear.

It makes you shoot, and therefore see the world, in very different way to having an adaptable kit. They’re also some of the most beautifully engineered cameras in the Fuji world and feel amazing in the hand. Way more than anything in the X-T world. 

The H2is also pretty fabulous though, in the completely opposite direction. One of those with a few choice lenses is a go anywhere, shoot anything choice. Has an absolutely gorgeous shutter sound too. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11903

XT5 you mean?

Just smaller.  I already have another body (actually 3....A73 and A7R3, that I can use 35mm GM), or I could use my X-S10 with fuji 23/1.4 to achieve the exact same look and recipe if I want to stick with Fuji.  But the X100 is just smaller.  There is also the lack of noise, or VERY quiet shutter in the X100.  It is practically imperceivable in normal everyday noise level.

no, I mean the smaller Xt30, and the expected replacement not yet available, the Xt50

it's pretty much the same size and weight as an x100.
    https://camerasize.com/compare/#846,816

My idea when I bought the XT10 and pancake lens was to have a camera that I could use as you describe, plus I can use big lenses on it when I want to as well.

Is it really quieter?
    https://cameradecision.com/compare/Fujifilm-X-T30-II-vs-Fujifilm-X100V

AFAIK these both have mechanical and electronic shutters
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5635
    I'd love one of the X100 range.  Very had a batch of X100VIs shortly after release and they sold out within days of going on sale.

I wish I'd flexed my Very account and just got one for an every day carry.  People have snapped them up, knowing they are going to be in huge demand, have added a several hundred quid to the price tag and are selling them on for big profits.

I even heard of one seller asking £18k for a BNIB X100VI.

Madness, but an incredibly lovely camera all the same, Fuji could double the price and it would still sell like Prosecco at a hen party.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

Is it really quieter?

Very much so. The leaf shutter in the X100 series is barely audible even to the user. There are other benefits to this style of shutter too, like higher sync speeds and much less camera shake than more common shutter blinds that are over the film/sensor rather that in the lens 
    dazzajl said:

It makes you shoot, and therefore see the world, in very different way to having an adaptable kit. They’re also some of the most beautifully engineered cameras in the Fuji world and feel amazing in the hand. Way more than anything in the X-T world. 

The H2is also pretty fabulous though, in the completely opposite direction. One of those with a few choice lenses is a go anywhere, shoot anything choice. Has an absolutely gorgeous shutter sound too. 
    But if you choose to leave the house with your XT30 ii (or the xt50 when released) and a pancake lens, you are in the same position surely. 

I thought these 2 were about the same price, from the same product and technology range, from the same manufacturer.
    What is so different about the x100 that you prefer??

in this review, they rate the XT higher, and say the X100 has "Not so good Ergonomics&Handling"

XT5 you mean?

no, I mean the smaller Xt30, and the expected replacement not yet available, the Xt50

it's pretty much the same size and weight as an x100.
    https://camerasize.com/compare/#846,816

My idea when I bought the XT10 and pancake lens was to have a camera that I could use as you describe, plus I can use big lenses on it when I want to as well.

Is it really quieter?

It is quieter, it's a leaf shutter vs a Curtain shutter.  The leaf shutter is on the front of the lens, so less to move and also does flash sync up to 1/4000th...although I don't have plans to use that at the moment.

Yes.  It's smaller when you have a lens on.

I am in a fortunate position to have other cameras so if I want to use something that I can change lenses, I will use another body.  The X-S10 is basically a baby X-T4 anyway with the same internals, still quite modern in all respect, IBIS, decent AF etc.

Haych said:
    I'd love one of the X100 range.  Very had a batch of X100VIs shortly after release and they sold out within days of going on sale.

I wish I'd flexed my Very account and just got one for an every day carry.  People have snapped them up, knowing they are going to be in huge demand, have added a several hundred quid to the price tag and are selling them on for big profits.

I even heard of one seller asking £18k for a BNIB X100VI.

Madness, but an incredibly lovely camera all the same, Fuji could double the price and it would still sell like Prosecco at a hen party.
    Someone on Talk Photography won the raffle to be able to get the limited edition one! 

Although I would think twice at twice the value....at that money I would lean towards a used Leica Q2.
  • marxskimarxski Frets: 250
    I was expecting to see a Lomo when I saw Hipster mentioned 
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    I sold an XT-3 and some lenses and bought a X100V. I was looking to simplify and try to learn some of the fundamentals. That is still very much a work in progress.
    I did consider pancake lenses but, as far as I understand, the lens in the X100 is better quality than the pancake lenses and approaching the quality of Fuji's bigger lenses which are fairly substantial.

The jpegs that come out of the camera are really nice.  There are hundreds of 'recipes' that claim to mimic old film stock.  These work with any Fuji. Some of them look great. On a trip to London last November, all my pictures looked like they came from a Gillian Welch album cover.

I will be keeping mine but would be interested if Fuji were to do a stripped back monochrome version. The updated sensors, no IBIS, no video or sound.

I will qualify all of that by saying I know less about cameras than guitars and I don't know much about guitars. 
    marxski said:
    I was expecting to see a Lomo when I saw Hipster mentioned 
    Hamsters don’t want to shoot film, just look like they are ;)
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    I sold an XT-3 and some lenses and bought a X100V. I was looking to simplify and try to learn some of the fundamentals. That is still very much a work in progress.
    I did consider pancake lenses but, as far as I understand, the lens in the X100 is better quality than the pancake lenses and approaching the quality of Fuji's bigger lenses which are fairly substantial.

The jpegs that come out of the camera are really nice.  There are hundreds of 'recipes' that claim to mimic old film stock.  These work with any Fuji. Some of them look great. On a trip to London last November, all my pictures looked like they came from a Gillian Welch album cover.

I will be keeping mine but would be interested if Fuji were to do a stripped back monochrome version. The updated sensors, no IBIS, no video or sound.

I will qualify all of that by saying I know less about cameras than guitars and I don't know much about guitars. 

I like the idea of a monochrome camera. But for me the problem is you can't adjust black and white images by colour on a monochrome camera. For example on a colour sensor shooting monochrome you can change the brightness of the sky by adjusting the blues in the image. 

I don't think Fuji will do a stripped-back version, at least not with the current model selling more than they can make right now.

If you want a pure B&W Fuji then I would just get an old X100S and use B&W recipe on it, output 100% JPEG. 

where did you get that info from?
    The pancake is a dedicated XF lens, costing £340+
    When I searched I couldn't find anything to suggest it was not as good as a built-in lens

whereas this guy says the lens is wonderful:
    Pros & Cons of Fujifilm's 27mm Pancake Lens (notanomadblog.com)

It’s considered one of Fuji’s sharpest lenses

Fujifilm is famous for its lenses. They’ve done it all: space glass, military binoculars, even cinema lenses that cost SIX FIGURES.

What I’m trying to say is: this lens is sharp. Some people argue that this lens is the sharpest Fujifilm has in its lineup. Secret time: I think people say that about like every Fuji lens, but hey, it’s a good reputation to have.

anyway, we can avoid a long investigation, someone did the work already:
    X100(S/T) vs. XF 27mm F2.8 — Fuji vs. Fuji (fujivsfuji.com)
    he says the separate lens is better, but still loves having an X100
    I don't buy the X100 for it's lens quality, I've had some of the best 35mm lenses you can buy in recent years from Zeiss, Canon L (mk1 &2) and Sony 35 GM.  The Fuji 23/2.0 doesn't compare, it's playing in a different league but it fits the camera and it is the overall package that is attractive. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    edited April 3
    One of the attractions is the leaf shutter, which you don't get on the interchangeable lens bodies - flash sync at any shutter speed, and the built-in flash is one of the best I've ever used when used as a fill flash, it's exceptional.

Anyway I just love the compact package. Although I do drag the two conversion lenses with me when I travel, if we're popping out somewhere while abroad I sometimes take "just the camera" which isn't quite pocket-sized but still supremely compact, with almost no sacrifice in overall image quality. We print out a lot of images here as we send family photos out at the holidays, and I'm getting similar or better quality to my old Nikon D750 with the little Fuji at a fraction of the weight/bulk.

I have Panasonic hybrid gear here as well which I use for pro video production but Panasonic's best lenses are absolute pigs - humongous things. Not that much fun to travel with.
    The lens on the X100s got a big revamp for the V model. Much sharper wide open and at all focus distances. Whether it’s a match for its larger brothers or not is a good question. In day to day usage I’d say it is

I really like using the 27mm pancake lens. It is very sharp but also renders with a quite a bit more contrast than the lenses with more elements. Again, how good it is depends on how you use it. 

Currently my favourite of all the X100 line up is the T. Seems to hit the sweet spot in terms of function, charm and price point in the line up. I’m hoping the vi will become my new favourite at some point. 
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897

where did you get that info from?
    The pancake is a dedicated XF lens, costing £340+
    When I searched I couldn't find anything to suggest it was not as good as a built-in lens

whereas this guy says the lens is wonderful:
    Pros & Cons of Fujifilm's 27mm Pancake Lens (notanomadblog.com)

It’s considered one of Fuji’s sharpest lenses

Fujifilm is famous for its lenses. They’ve done it all: space glass, military binoculars, even cinema lenses that cost SIX FIGURES.

What I’m trying to say is: this lens is sharp. Some people argue that this lens is the sharpest Fujifilm has in its lineup. Secret time: I think people say that about like every Fuji lens, but hey, it’s a good reputation to have.

anyway, we can avoid a long investigation, someone did the work already:
    X100(S/T) vs. XF 27mm F2.8 — Fuji vs. Fuji (fujivsfuji.com)
    he says the separate lens is better, but still loves having an X100
    I can't remember exactly where I read or possibly watched it.  It could well have been one of those 'pixel peeping' reviews on youtube.
    I probably should have said that the X100V was the best for me at the time. 
    I did try the XT3 with the Fujinon 23 F2.8 but preferred the X100V.

I am going to say it was the creamier bokeh. 

The lens in the X100VI suits what it does perfectly.  The ethos of this camera is make you shoot, it's about the nostalgia factor with it's style, design, OVF, controls, film simulations.  The less than perfect lens fits into that completely. Holiday snaps, daily life, street photography, things like that.  Not that it can't do billboards but that's not its intention. 

Furthermore, there is also a section of people always looking for that imperfection in lenses, they call it "character".