New Hipster Camera!

What's Hot
RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
Not bought a new camera, as opposed to a used one, since 2017.  Couldn't wait for these to get cheap so put an order in a month ago and got it today.

A lot of tech in something so small

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27043
    Ah very nice. I’d love to have a go with one of these. I’m not using my “big” XT3 very much lately but this could get much more use. 

Not sure I want to spend the money though 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    Well, even the F costs like £900 used...they just don't lose their value as much as I like...very strange thing for a tech product.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited March 23
    Very nice! I would love one of these, I had an X100T and it was still a bit weird - it took fuji a few iterations to get it right I think. Fujifilm seem keen to get on top of manufacturing so I may pick one up when they're more readily available. 

Apparently build is better than the older made in Japan ones  and they were beautiful! so good to see fuji succeed with this. I really want OM system or Panasonic to release a properly pocketable m43 version - something epl7 sized with ibis, leaf shutter and a 14mm or 17mm lens. Could be a right tiny powerhouse. A man can dream... I don't think it'll happen. 
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4176
    Ah very nice. I’d love to have a go with one of these. I’m not using my “big” XT3 very much lately but this could get much more use. 

I may well be wrong on this, but from what I've seen the X100VI probably isn't that much smaller than your X-T3...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

I have the X-T1, and it is bigger in all dimensions.  The X100VI is about the same height as the width of an iPhone 14Pro but shorter.  Just thicker.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11752
    edited March 23
    You've piqued my interest @RaymondLin - there's a bit of me that's fed up with capturing some great events on a bloody iPhone.  Googling :-)

* EDIT - feck!  £1600!!!  OK, the iPhone it is :-)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18783
    edited March 23
    It looks cool & I hope it will work out for you.
    I'm still holding out for something digital, but with the lovely tiny form factor of a Minox 35GT or my personal favourite the Balda CA/CE 35. Sigh...  I can but hope 
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3000
    Nice cameras, though I don't understand what about it makes it a ''hipster camera'', to me a ''hipster camera'' would be something like buying a Polaroid camera - surprisingly expensive especially the film, or a ''old fashioned'' 35mm film camera, basically a camera that is based off of technology that has long since been improved on and superseded
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9636
    That’s the camera that could persuade me to buy a camera. I’ve pondered many times about getting a DSLR but never bitten the bullet… there’s something about those Fujifilms that really appeals to me though, 
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 274
    Love the images from my X100F, but I hate the menu system and there are too many programmable buttons. 

I miss my Canon 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    Very nice indeed sir!

I’m pretty sure there is one of these in my future. 
    edited March 24
    pt22 said:
    Love the images from my X100F, but I hate the menu system and there are too many programmable buttons. 

I miss my Canon 
    Amazingly...there are only like 3 programmable buttons on this, not counting the wheel as a button.  2 of the 3 are picked for me.

One of them I set it to REC for video (otherwise there is no way to start video easily if I want to),  The back one to back button focus.....meaning only 1 left.

You can turn the swiping the screen as shortcuts, but I hate that so turn all that off, leaving the Q button to access shortcuts.
    Nice cameras, though I don't understand what about it makes it a ''hipster camera'', to me a ''hipster camera'' would be something like buying a Polaroid camera - surprisingly expensive especially the film, or a ''old fashioned'' 35mm film camera, basically a camera that is based off of technology that has long since been improved on and superseded
    Before the pandemic, this range of camera (the X100 series) was like any other camera.  Then the pandemic hit and tiktokers took a linking to the original X100 for being "film" like.  It was like a £200-250 camera.  In a short space of time, the value of that shot up, and it went up to £1k for the original X100 for a while.

This pushes the value of all the others up, and then of course they took a liking to the X100V, it was the latest one that just came out and for the first time, it made this line of camera incredibly hard to get, there was a waiting time, scalpers, selling a £1400 camera for £2,000.  A lot of people bought this camera because it was trendy, not really because they are into photography.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    What’s it like compared to past xtrans? I struggled with the ‘waxy’ character on more than one Fuji. Tempted by the 6
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27043

I may well be wrong on this, but from what I've seen the X100VI probably isn't that much smaller than your X-T3...
    It's a big chunk smaller once you put a lens on the XT!!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PLOPPLOP Frets: 293
    Nice camera! I’ve wanted to get into mirrorless photography but I’m not in the position where I can afford most cameras. I’ve got a Sony a6000 which I got a good deal on some years ago but I’ve been unable to bond with it and I usually pick up my Nikon D3200 instead. I love the small size of the Sony but the menu is cumbersome and I just can’t seem to get good images with it. The Nikon feels like I can command it and get the results I want straight away. 

I’ve always been interested in the Fuji series but they’re way too spenny for me. Have you been out and tested it yet? I’d love to see your pictures!
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Before the pandemic, this range of camera (the X100 series) was like any other camera.  Then the pandemic hit and tiktokers took a linking to the original X100 for being "film" like.  It was like a £200-250 camera.  In a short space of time, the value of that shot up, and it went up to £1k for the original X100 for a while.

This pushes the value of all the others up, and then of course they took a liking to the X100V, it was the latest one that just came out and for the first time, it made this line of camera incredibly hard to get, there was a waiting time, scalpers, selling a £1400 camera for £2,000.  A lot of people bought this camera because it was trendy, not really because they are into photography.
    I know nothing about cameras, so I’m off to Google! but it looks cool. Is it a simple camera to use?

Enjoy it Raymond, I look forward to seeing some photos in the future. 

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    I wish they'd do an EVF only version of the X100, with a 27mm lens. That would suit me much more. 

I've been very tempted by the Ricoh GRIIIx but tales of them filling with dust has put me off.

I've been in the Fuji ecosystem for over a decade now. My current camera being an X-S10. It's a bit soulless really but I wanted the IBIS and some other features for some video work I do. I miss my X-T3.

I do love the rangefinder form factor though, and so I'm tempted to pick up a used X-E2 or X-E3. Prices are a bit mad right now, thanks to X100 lust driving all the cameras in that form factor up in price. 

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136

Quite a bit less chonky https://pxlmag.com/db/camera-size-comparison/f431d4ff-b8d9f1b1-b60

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1491
    I love my Xpro1 but I don’t use it enough to justify a X100. I’ll pick up a decent XT-2 to use my lenses though.