Paoletti & John Cruz

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5434
    elstoof said:
    I’m not sure I buy the chestnut wine barrel story, how do you get a strat body out of these?

Of course you could glue up a number of staves, but it wouldn’t look like this 1 piece body

1) that is not a one piece body - it's at least two, maybe three - would need to see the end grain to tell for sure

2) the staves used in wine barrels used for aging are MUCH wider than the ones you picture above - the barrels can be like 300l each - e.g. https://www.polsinelli.it/en/chestnut-barrel-300-l-with-manhole-P1851.htm - they are not designed to be "mobile" in the sense that they are strictly filled for aging wine, not transporting it. So they use bigger planks to make them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4316
    Whitecat said:
    elstoof said:
    I’m not sure I buy the chestnut wine barrel story, how do you get a strat body out of these?

Of course you could glue up a number of staves, but it wouldn’t look like this 1 piece body

1) that is not a one piece body - it's at least two, maybe three - would need to see the end grain to tell for sure

2) the staves used in wine barrels used for aging are MUCH wider than the ones you picture above - the barrels can be like 300l each - e.g. https://www.polsinelli.it/en/chestnut-barrel-300-l-with-manhole-P1851.htm - they are not designed to be "mobile" in the sense that they are strictly filled for aging wine, not transporting it. So they use bigger planks to make them.
    Looks like a 2 piece. You can see the join in the middle. where the grain is misaligned.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5434
    CHRISB50 said:
    Whitecat said:
    elstoof said:

Looks like a 2 piece. You can see the join in the middle. where the grain is misaligned.
    I think that’s most likely but with that type of grain you could do a join at the very bottom where the lines are parallel that would be virtually invisible if you had to. Reclaimed wood doesn’t always generate matching-width boards… but yeah, *probably* 2, outlier chance of 3. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14308
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    Whitecat said:
    elstoof said:

I think that’s most likely but with that type of grain you could do a join at the very bottom where the lines are parallel that would be virtually invisible if you had to. Reclaimed wood doesn’t always generate matching-width boards… but yeah, *probably* 2, outlier chance of 3. 
    Take a line, south, from the G+D intonation screw and certainly see a line there - I keep looking at the bass side - Take a line, south, from the scratchplate screw, Low E side, near bridge pick-up - And wonder if I can see a line or not - But as said above, normally a view from the rim tells all 
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3279
    Philly_Q said:
    As played by Pino(t) "Grigio" Palladino.

No, I know.  That was shit.  I apologise.
    Quit wining!
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4187
    I actually really like Rob Chapman's Alfa, even the relicing. Those shotgun shell knobs would be straight in the bin though, and I'd prefer a hardtail or a Floyd I reckon. The body, neck & headstock look great to me though, and HS is my favourite pickup combination.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5282
    I actually really like Rob Chapman's Alfa, even the relicing. Those shotgun shell knobs would be straight in the bin though, and I'd prefer a hardtail or a Floyd I reckon. The body, neck & headstock look great to me though, and HS is my favourite pickup combination.
    I just really like Rob Chapman
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4187
    mgaw said:
    I just really like Rob Chapman
    Me too. I think he'd be good to have a pint with.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)