Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

TheFretboard "Cool Wall'

What's Hot

Comments

• Gassage said:
    I can't understand why no-one really builds an amp that sounds as good in the modern age (Reeves clones aside)
    Hiwatt style make the custom range of amplifier, it is properly pricey though £2.4k for black and +10% for custom colour vinyl (white, blue or red).

I don't know.  One day, Hiwatt will be in fashion because of some American builder who chooses to release one with a YouTube artist sponsorship and product demo, TGP will collectively wet themselves at how it is the missing link in their chain, and you'll be able to get the transformers from several companies because they're in demand again. 

they have quite a lot of modern day endorsements.

artic monkeys, coldplay, kasabian, Noel Gallagher, the killers...

And Kurt Cobain.

Err... ;)

I know, but scour any guitar forum and not many people are saying 'I want Hiwatt tone', they're asking for black face, tweed, Marshall or Vox usually. 

Shame.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • its because we all think Fender when clean amps are discussed. 
    I wouldn't believe @impmann when he said to me a Hiwatt will out fender a fender. 
    It does and then some. 

My evil twin is still a damn nice amp but the hiwatt has magic fairy dust sprinkled on it. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • It seems we've missed acoustics:

Ice cool - Pre-war Martin
    Cool - Lowden
    Uncool - Taylor
    Seriously uncool - Dreadnoughts with cutaways....
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    edited December 2014
    Ok, uncool, quite a short list. 

Telemasters (sorry)

Acoustics painted black (or any other colour) 

Amps with more than ten knobs.

Suhr/Anderson headstocks 

Putting a Bigsby on every fucking guitar that can accept one. 

Floyd Roses

8/9 string guitars 

Overneat everything-boutique pedalboards! 

Modelling amps

Jackson guitars

Blackstar amps

PRS

What's cool:

Teles, Jazzmasters, jazz guitars, vintage Japanese guitars, SGs, LPs, Travis Bean, Hiwatt, vintage Marshall, fuzzes, analog choruses, tape echos, EGC, G&L, Supro amps, Fender amps, modular synths, vintage synths, anything made by Moog, music man basses

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • @loobs I agree with a lot of that, especially super neat, tidy all boutique boards! It's the least cool, least rock and roll thing ever. 

Particularly great call on "anything made by Moog".  It's like owning a piece of universal coolness. 
    Marantz, I remember your stuff from the old forum. Fucking awesome. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    I know, but scour any guitar forum and not many people are saying 'I want Hiwatt tone', they're asking for black face, tweed, Marshall or Vox usually.
    I think it's because there is a widespread fallacy that "no-one needs more than 15W" or whatever the current fashionable low-power Nazism is, and Hiwatts start at 50W (and are conservative even at that) and go up to 400W. (And are still conservative even at that :D.)

The fact that a Hiwatt 200 sounds better at whisper volume than just about any amp I've ever heard seems to fall on deaf ears. (Irony intentional ;).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2014
    Speaking of Hiwatt: Old rig of mine (circa 2008/9)

THAT was a nice amp. I paid £400 for it in 2008. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2014

Only piece of gear I regret selling. I sold it for double what I paid, but I was still a total idiot to let it go. 

The workmanship on those amps is just on another level. The clean tone is outrageously good. Makes delay and reverb pedals sound incredible. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I paid £65 for my DR103 in 2004, £140 for my 73 DR112 about five years later.
    I'd happily pay £400 now.
    2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Loobs said:

Only piece of gear I regret selling. I sold it for double what I paid, but I was still a total idiot to let it go. 

The workmanship on those amps is just on another level. The clean tone is outrageously good. Makes delay and reverb pedals sound incredible. 
    Holy cow, that's mind bogglingly neat and tidy inside, absolutey awesome!!
    I paid £65 for my DR103 in 2004, £140 for my 73 DR112 about five years later.
    Ya bastid.

@ThePrettyDamned they really are something else. You played one? 
  • Loobs said:
    Ya bastid.

Sadly, I've never even seen one in the flesh.  I'm desperate to try one though, any of them really - 50 watts of Hiwatt would be loud enough for anything, quiet enough for home and take pedals like a champ. 

I'm making it my goal to hear one.  I'm hopefully getting a proper nice amp this year - I've made do with a peavey bandit (which is actually pretty sweet all things considered!) for a while, and plan to not upgrade until I can do it properly - either a custom MJW or a a vintage amp overhauled by him. 
    You owe it to yourself to hear one. There's nothing quite like that huge warm clean tone, headroom for ever. They don't really even break up, full pelt. They have a sound all of their own. 

This is the only guitar I miss selling:

• Loobs said:
    Ya bastid.

Sadly, I've never even seen one in the flesh.  I'm desperate to try one though, any of them really - 50 watts of Hiwatt would be loud enough for anything, quiet enough for home and take pedals like a champ. 

I'm making it my goal to hear one.  I'm hopefully getting a proper nice amp this year - I've made do with a peavey bandit (which is actually pretty sweet all things considered!) for a while, and plan to not upgrade until I can do it properly - either a custom MJW or a a vintage amp overhauled by him. 
    Get a hiwatt. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.

Seriously, seriously cool. 

Haters gonna hate. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Kill it. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cool:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom