Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

TheFretboard "Cool Wall'

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    I got banned for life on TGP. So I re-registered.

At some point I'm going to post in the P and W section saying I'm playing in a post-modernist Islamic Faith band and ask for pedal recs for drone sounds.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:

At some point I'm going to post in the P and W section saying I'm playing in a post-modernist Islamic Faith band and ask for pedal recs for drone sounds.
    My first infraction was for asking about the scales used in prayer music of Eastern cultures - particularly Indian ones. 

It was a genuine question, in the appropriate section (p+w).  I didn't know much about theory (still don't) but I was essentially asking for sclaes like the harmonic minor and modal variations of it. 

Never posted since, really.  They removed the entire thread and gave me a short ban for trolling. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    Gassage said:

My first infraction was for asking about the scales used in prayer music of Eastern cultures - particularly Indian ones. 

It was a genuine question, in the appropriate section (p+w).  I didn't know much about theory (still don't) but I was essentially asking for sclaes like the harmonic minor and modal variations of it. 

Never posted since, really.  They removed the entire thread and gave me a short ban for trolling. 
    And they're not racist or homophobic, no siree....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12364
    edited December 2014
    Amp now belongs to @ICBM , the Riv was mine, then @blueskunk 's then mine again then @blueskunk 's again then  mine and then I think it was @blueskunk 's again (or something like that). It was nice. :) image

And current squeeze, lovely Tele-ness

imageimage

"OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    Gassage said:

And they're not racist or homophobic, no siree....
    Funny thing was, it wasn't my first post and I'd never caused trouble before - but none of that was taken into consideration. 

Never posted since. 

It's interesting how TGP effectively controls the market, though.  Not that long ago, blackface fender tones were not particularly sought after. Now, every amp builder needs one approved by TGP to be considered half decent. 

I'm waiting for vintage Orange and Hiwatt tones to come back, flood the market with a load of those :D
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Great pics @jonnyburgo , the Riv has now moved on, great guitar that.

That tele looks lovely :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    Amp now belongs to @ICBM , the Riv was mine, then @blueskunk 's then mine again then @blueskunk 's again then  mine and then I think it was @blueskunk 's again (or something like that). It was nice. :) image
    That is really cool, it goes with the amp perfectly. I must get one too.

The white curly cable ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Amp now belongs to @ICBM , the Riv was mine, then @blueskunk 's then mine again then @blueskunk 's again then  mine and then I think it was @blueskunk 's again (or something like that). It was nice. :) image

And current squeeze, lovely Tele-ness

imageimage

details on that tele? @jonnyburgo
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    ThePrettyDamned;461533" said:
    Gassage said:

I think one of the things is th transformers. They were built like no other.

@icbm may shed light onto this....

Could be, but if replica parts are available... 

I don't know.  One day, Hiwatt will be in fashion because of some American builder who chooses to release one with a YouTube artist sponsorship and product demo, TGP will collectively wet themselves at how it is the missing link in their chain, and you'll be able to get the transformers from several companies because they're in demand again. 

I think I suffer from cynicism. ;)
    Depends on the music scene you are into...in the Doom world old Hiwatt's are among the holy grail amps. Alot of builders who do amps for doom musicians draw a lot from Hiwatt designs
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited December 2014

imageimage

Good lord, a Carlsbro TC60. I read a review in Guitarist when it came out, they pretty much said it looked like a dog's breakfast but sounded the dog's bollocks. Apparently does a really great high-gain sound.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3626
    I don't think I own anything that could be classed as cool in fact I am the most anti - cool person around.

I like the tiger stripes on my '04 Standard but "cool"? ......... Probably not.

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7151
    Again.

My two favourites at the moment.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• Amplified coolness!

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • might upset some but stickers on guitars.. not cool?
    @bigfuzz 50s reissue Mex Tele, when I got it it was white blonde with a terrible relic job by the previous owner, so stripped it which was not easy, absolute bitch of a clear undercoat that was really solid, took some going with a heat gun. Briwax dark oak finish and reversed the control plate, was trying to get a bit of a Roy Buchanan thing going, it aint pretty but it looks how a Tele should look I think. Plays lovely, will upgrade the pickups at some point but the stock ones are fine for now :)

@Bucket, the cleans were fantastic on this but the OD channel wasnt great, lots of gain but a bit fizzy so swapped the 12ax7 in 2 for a 12au7 ( I think) and it was much better, lots more control. got it cheap of @Lewligan of this very forum, I don't own it anymore, GAS eh?
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    Amplified coolness!

What a trio! love that Magnatone
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • @bigfuzz 50s reissue Mex Tele, when I got it it was white blonde with a terrible relic job by the previous owner, so stripped it which was not easy, absolute bitch of a clear undercoat that was really solid, took some going with a heat gun. Briwax dark oak finish and reversed the control plate, was trying to get a bit of a Roy Buchanan thing going, it aint pretty but it looks how a Tele should look I think. Plays lovely, will upgrade the pickups at some point but the stock ones are fine for now :)

@Bucket, the cleans were fantastic on this but the OD channel wasnt great, lots of gain but a bit fizzy so swapped the 12ax7 in 2 for a 12au7 ( I think) and it was much better, lots more control. got it cheap of @Lewligan of this very forum, I don't own it anymore, GAS eh?
    ahh nice, yeh I agree with the 'how it should look' comment. not a huge fan of the thick coats on the new teles of today. if they did a baja tele with a less chunky finish I'd probably buy one!
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Amplified coolness!

Now that is an amazing set up. Please tell me that the guitars you are putting into those are just as good?
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Loving this thread, too much cool. And quite a bit of bad taste. But all good.
  • Gassage said:
    I can't understand why no-one really builds an amp that sounds as good in the modern age (Reeves clones aside)
    Hiwatt style make the custom range of amplifier, it is properly pricey though £2.4k for black and +10% for custom colour vinyl (white, blue or red).

I don't know.  One day, Hiwatt will be in fashion because of some American builder who chooses to release one with a YouTube artist sponsorship and product demo, TGP will collectively wet themselves at how it is the missing link in their chain, and you'll be able to get the transformers from several companies because they're in demand again. 

they have quite a lot of modern day endorsements.

artic monkeys, coldplay, kasabian, Noel Gallagher, the killers...

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.