Past members who never returned

What's Hot

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    mrchi said:
    I hear about MR quite a lot but as only started posting here in June I'm not sure what happened prior to the fb.

Is there anyone who can give me the lowdown on what happened which led to the demise of the old forum? :-)
    basically, we got too strong and powerful for the old gods of MR to control us and in their fear they pulled the plug.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've actually realised I totally confused Skodster with Synthman!  Who although I was talking and cross purposes and despite the obvious annoyance he caused I do think a brief look at his YouTube page tells you all is not entirely well with him either and I actually have a touch of sympathy for him.  Plus his keyboard playing is actually getting slightly betterer.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    @VimFuego And look at the abomination they inadvertently created ;-)
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited January 2015
    mrchi said:
    He will be back...

The Drewminator. 
    Drewmerang. 

Throw him away but he always comes back.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24286
    edited January 2015
    VimFuego said:
    Bucket said:
    VimFuego said:

I suspect he was never actually diagnosed or sought treatment, so I guess that let's you off the hook, eh.

IMO, he was clearly ill as he went from being a normal, family man who went through a nasty divorce and all of a sudden started spouting the most bizarre and frankly nasty stuff imaginable.

Hence my suspicion that he was a raving pillock rather than someone with a genuine problem. If this was the case, my original post looks rather callous and for that I apologise.
    here's the thing, some shit happened to him and it changed him, and he was probably not a strong person to begin with. I'm not a doctor, so I'm not going to make a diagnosis, but I've seen people have breakdowns and his behaviour reminded me of how they often behaved. His behaviour exhibited itself with the whole Christian god thing, and there were some on the old MR forum, who were weak of soul and spirit, who used that to bait and belittle him. That's not to excuse his behaviour, but he was going through some shit and instead of getting support he was tipped further into a pit. Your comment was a dick thing to say. I sincerely hope you never have to go through the shit he went through, and if you do I hope you find support and not some dick on the internet calling you a pillock
    On twitter there was a pregnant lady who was having real difficulty. She was clearly asking for help from anyone that could provide it. 

He told her that no matter what she had to accept that she was nothing more than a vessel for the baby and that her needs were irrelevant.

Any sympathy I might have had for him ended with that sort of crap.

I also dispute the baiting. He would start a questionable thread, he would be challenged and then he would claim he was being picked on. He seemed to be looking for that excuse.

I do not accept the 'mental issue' idea as his behaviour was the same as I've seen from many other people who shared his views - including from my own creationist inlaws. In fact I've seen it used as a specific tactic to attempt to "prove" persecution when there is none.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    I'm not debating he had issues (and even his issues had issues), in fact I'm the one saying he had issues and wasn't just a pillock. It was the way he quite quickly went from being a fairly solid and normal person into this raving loon that makes me think he had a mental illness. People chose to post in those threads you refer to, they were enabling his need for persecution. A more sensible thing to would be to ignore him. But you are entitled to think what you like of him, I know what I know and I think you're wrong.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    mrchi said:
    I hear about MR quite a lot but as only started posting here in June I'm not sure what happened prior to the fb.

Is there anyone who can give me the lowdown on what happened which led to the demise of the old forum? :-)

there was a technical problem with one of the other Future forums ( was it hacked? I can't remember) and they closed them all down on a temporary basis BUT never ever restarted the MR one for reasons that were never explained. Emp Fab started up a temp forum and then this one was created.
    After reading the Forum Suspended notice on MR ( might still be there !) for the 100th time and had a text off rock'n'roll Dave August 2013 telling me about this place.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Anyway, whilst I'm here - bugging me that I can't remember the name of the chap who played in a ska band in London ( I think) who was a regular on MR and did a short stint on here before disappearing. Any ideas?
    mrchi said:

http://mos.futurenet.com/forum/ Still there !
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    VimFuego said:
    I'm not debating he had issues (and even his issues had issues), in fact I'm the one saying he had issues and wasn't just a pillock. It was the way he quite quickly went from being a fairly solid and normal person into this raving loon that makes me think he had a mental illness. People chose to post in those threads you refer to, they were enabling his need for persecution. A more sensible thing to would be to ignore him. But you are entitled to think what you like of him, I know what I know and I think you're wrong.

It had certainly never crossed my mind that he might have had a mental illness, simply because I was familiar with the behaviour shown in many people who are not suffering from any mental illness. However it is also true that I hadn't really interacted with him prior to the questionable stuff so I have no comparator.

Other than that he reminded me a bit of former smokers who suddenly become very zealous when they have managed to quit.

At least we can agree that neither of us are qualified to diagnose him.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    mrchi said:

there was a technical problem with one of the other Future forums ( was it hacked? I can't remember) and they closed them all down on a temporary basis BUT never ever restarted the MR one for reasons that were never explained. Emp Fab started up a temp forum and then this one was created.
    After reading the Forum Suspended notice on MR ( might still be there !) for the 100th time and had a text off rock'n'roll Dave August 2013 telling me about this place.
    I think that's right - but I think it was the games bit that was hacked rather than the music stuff, but they binned it all.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12334
    I think he became a fundamentalist christian, it's a fine line.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    I'm saying nothing.
    mrchi said:

I think that's right - but I think it was the games bit that was hacked rather than the music stuff, but they binned it all.

yeh , PC Gamer forum,having just looked it up.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391

I'm saying nothing.
    Why ? Does your MiL read theFB ? ;) :P
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 359
    Just in the interest of balance, although Skod may well have been followed around the forum and baited, he also wasn't above sending abusive PMs out of the blue to anyone he considered as being against god or whatever. I certainly received several  after having had a cordial relationship with him I received regular PM'd abuse after calling him out on his many frankly vile comments about homosexuals.

monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Jalapeno;493671" said:
    fretmeister said:

jonnyburgo said:

I'm saying nothing.

Why ? Does your MiL read theFB ? ;) :P
    :)

She was a hell of a musician! Cello and organ, able to sight read Grade 8.

She quit though. Apparently due to family pressure about being more "modest" and not drawing attention to herself.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I recall criticising a young chap on MR who had a Slash obsession, and he posted a terrible video of himself killing some G'n'R. I Immediately wished I had not posted. I hope he's well. Can't recall his Username. Sometimes I fucking hate the interweb. And me.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • jd0272 said:
    I recall criticising a young chap on MR who had a Slash obsession, and he posted a terrible video of himself killing some G'n'R. I Immediately wished I had not posted. I hope he's well. Can't recall his Username. Sometimes I fucking hate the interweb. And me.
    Ah yeah I remember that thread. His screen name was something like Trebor.  Yeah that was tough going for him. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Wynir0! Good to see you post matey. My first encounter with this chap was over 10 years ago, in the days of the intermusic forum and wyn outbid me on a Yamaha Pacifica. Obviously my recollection of the detail here reveals that I still hold a massive grudge, LMAO!

On fundamentalists, generally: I've known many over the years, and more often than not, when they get on that waggon, they often go right to the extreme as they immerse themselves in the whole belief system. To a Christian fundamentalist, they have a god given duty to tell everyone about it, and to point them down the "right" path. In their mind, if they don't do this, they aren't being true to what they believe will redeem them from this hugely sinful existence. It is a similar mentality to jihadists - this world is unimportant, a piece of the journey to salvation, and I need to do god's will etc, and part of this will end up in me being persecuted. In fact, the persecution is a way of getting bonus points.

speaking of which - manicguitarist, not seen him post for years. He was a nice fella, until he got on the god squadding, but to be fair to him, he wasn't in your face about it, he just had his strong beliefs which he defended. Boyo, he did get some grief though from one or two in particular (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE >>>>> ha ha).

Synthman - is this the legend that is Richard Steed?? I hope so, I miss him, he was/is ace. Completely of his rocker, but great value.The saviour of pop music isn't he?

Clintlinguist - remember him? I remember him flipping his lid threatening to cut someone up with a "boxcutter". Now there was someone with some proper Premier league grade issues.