The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11304
    Apparently there's an Aussie rules player called Gary Lyon. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Has anyone else noticed that in this Ashes series there seems to be a lot of good natured chit chat between the teams, not so much of the sledging.

Have they all gone snowflake? 
    It's a reaction to the fallout from the sandpaper affair. Check out Youtube for some of Tim Paine's comments against India over the winter. Excellent stuff. I'm quite happy for there to be a lot of piss taking on either side in a good natured way whilst the quick bowlers let the ball do the talking. 

Sledging is also easier when you're massively in control. It's not like they can take the piss out of our batting and mock us for being a one-man top six. 

The best sledging isn't simply abusive. It needs the humour. 

• scrumhalf said:
    I'm amazed anyone can hear anything napaprt from "Nice one Gary", "Well done, Gazza".

Every
    Single
    Bloody
    Ball

It's a keeper thing. The younger me remembers Alec Stewart bellowing out "Bowling H" regulary facing that doyen of demonic tweak, Robert Croft. 

• Well said @Heartfeltdawn ;
  • Some lads behind me were giving it “bowled Gaz, nice one Gazza” routine to Jack Leach when he was fielding on Wednesday, they asked if he was sick of hearing it it, Leachy just smiled.

• skippy76 said:
    Well said @Heartfeltdawn ;
    I used to get it as a bowler from some keepers and I bloody hated it. I actually sledged one of my own keepers fairly often because he wouldn't shut up. 

• I like the way Joe Root is batting last couple of innings, he's not been in good form and has the weight of captaincy on him but is steadily grinding his way back to some semblance of form with a little bit of luck here and there. Good work.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451
    Watch Root get out now he's got to 50.
    Root averages 100 at OT, he wants his ton. 
  • Good knocks from Burns & Root, everyone needs to score from here on in, no collapse required.

• Good knocks from Burns & Root, everyone needs to score from here on in, no collapse required.
    Oh well. 

Uh-oh. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451
    Sad news.  Abdul Qadir has died.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    just heard that as well - pre S Warne I recall he had a bag full of tricks - RIP
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited September 2019
    Good knocks from Burns & Root, everyone needs to score from here on in, no collapse required.
    Oh well. 
    There's still 15 wickets between Aus and a win with 2 days to go.

That really has to be it for Jason Roy now. His confidence will be knocked and he needs to get back to 50 over cricket and stay focussed on that. The Test selectors need to drop him for his own good.

• crunchman said:
    An absolute inspiration. One of the few leggies around when I was a kid learning to bowl spin. This is a lovely article from 2010 on his time in league cricket in Australia. 

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/20587660/abdul-qadir-australian-summer

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    tFB Trader
    Tomorrow morning and the first 6 overs before the new ball arrives will be crucial

Aussies will fight tooth n nail for an extra wicket or two before the new ball arrives, to then polish of the tail - We need to survive those 6 overs and the next 10/15 overs with no more wickets down, to hopefully bat as long as possible for a drawn game - The Ashes will come down to the first hour or so tomorrow morning
    edited September 2019
    As consolation for the unsettling end to the days play yesterday I watched Moeen Ali smash an unbeaten 121 against Sussex to send Worcestershire to the T20 Blast semi finals. He should play for England you know. 

edited September 2019
    This made me LOL, don't know it you can play it:

"Warner you fucking cheat"

edited September 2019
    Rory Burns looks like a 1930s cad "I say old boy that was fwightful boawling"