Forum Jam - 'Knackered Jack' in Leicester, now with pics

What's Hot

Comments

• speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Alnico;662320" said:
    speshul91 said:

@alnico I'll let you know closer to the end of this month as I am getting a car (read family wagon) soon

Get in, well done man.
    We need it and I'm getting a bargain the only thing is my bloody insurance lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
    edited June 2015
    Alnico said:
    I'm listening right now to a live version of 'Further on up the road' by Eric Clapton. It's pretty much a perfect song for these sessions.
    Easy chord structure and bass line means plenty of room for varying abilities and / or creative expression and improvising. There's tons of lead breaks in this version and so that gives everyone a chance to play lead with less pressure and more room for playing around with different ideas and styles. It's even basic and long enough for people to swap players on one or two of the instruments without getting in the way of the song, giving more people a chance at their own interpretation of the song.

I think this will be a good one for everyone who's coming to listen to and play along with at home to see what you can do with.
    Hmm. Just looked for some chords to practise playing over and I can't find anything halfway accurate. Do you mean the version on The Last Waltz with The Band? I put that through Riffstation and it's all over the place - mostly G, C and the occasional Bm, but it also says there's Dm, Em, F#m and the changes are pretty damn fast, too. (It even says the crowd yells in Bb, Em and F#.)

It sounds like it should be a nice and simple 12-bar blues, but not the way Riffstation has it. So I looked on ultimate-guitar and it says Garry Moore plays A, D and E, but that sounds completely wrong. At least the Riffstation on seems in roughly the right place.

Confused. :-S Think I'll get the dvd out, see if that sheds any light on it.

Nope, their fingers move way too fast!

Am I right in thinking that if the main chords (according to Riffstation) are Bm, C and G, that it's in G?
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Here it is live in 1977 in the Old Grey Whistle Test.

He's playing it in G so it's G, C, D.

It is a very simple blues song so play along to this one and see what you can come up with ?
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Im about 25 mins away but depends on
    1. Wife working or not
    2. Having the balls to play with other people for the 1st time
    3. My inability (time) to learn songs as Im a noodler more than anything

If I do come and stink the place up Im a dab hand at making cups 0of tea so all may not be lost
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27793
    Im about 25 mins away but depends on
    1. Wife working or not
    3. My inability (time) to learn songs as Im a noodler more than anything

If I do come and stink the place up Im a dab hand at making cups 0of tea so all may not be lost
    Reservations 2 & 3 absolutely apply to me too.

So there.

:P
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Providing my car passes it's mot then I won't need transport guys
    speshul91 said:
    Providing my car passes it's mot then I won't need transport guys
    If it doesn't and you do, let me know.
  • I may pop down for a few hrs later on, wife works till 5pm that sat. I can drum a smidge. Is there any Rush on the set list?
    I may pop down for a few hrs later on, wife works till 5pm that sat. I can drum a smidge. Is there any Rush on the set list?
    Which track had that long drum solo in it ??

;)
  • ^ every track is a long drum solo . :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Which of the suggested songs would be the simplest to learn for an absolute numpty? I can get teech to go over them with me tomorrow
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

Which of the suggested songs would be the simplest to learn for an absolute numpty? I can get teech to go over them with me tomorrow
    Takin' care of Business - Bachman Turner Overdrive - (B)
    Susie Q - CCR - (E)
    Satisfaction - Rolling Stones - (E)

If you learn them as best you can i will play them with you on the day and work out a two part guitar sound. They are not that tough and can sound good when you get it right.
  • I have been getting rather good at Search and Destroy (guitar and vocal) if anyone else is up for it I could manage the rhythm or lead plus vocal

I am almost in the same situation I have only done a bit of a comedy Jough Rustice act in front of people before... and if I am needed for drum duty it will be my first.
    I have been getting rather good at Search and Destroy (guitar and vocal) if anyone else is up for it I could manage the rhythm or lead plus vocal

I am almost in the same situation I have only done a bit of a comedy Jough Rustice act in front of people before... and if I am needed for drum duty it will be my first.
    I am sympathetic to this as at one point in my life, after a long break, it was something i suffered with. The main reason we are concentrating on studios is that they are primarily for rehearsal, which means it's the ideal place to make mistakes if you're going to make them, so if everyone can get that one out of their heads and relax a bit, it really will be fine. The other reason for the studio venues is to keep this all slightly closed doors for now to allow a safer, or less scary environment for everyone to relax in and enjoy getting involved, no matter on what level.

All are welcome and will me made to feel so.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Alnico said:
    All are welcome and will me made to feel so.
    excellent, really REALLY looking forward to it....

if anyone is in need of accommodation I cannot 5* you but if you are dead stuck  there is a sofa available, and lots of room for tent in the back and we have 3 tents of various sizes which I can set up if needed.. we have 3 kids and a dog so don't expect a lie in but I will always try to help out best I can so thought I would offer what I have..
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    I'm so pissed off I'm missing this but it's the first gig with my new band and it's 100 miles each way for me. If there was a problem on the motorway getting back I'd be screwed.

The ones after the guitar show and the one in Walsall were brilliant fun. 
  • I'm a bit tempted to come up to this, if only to question @StrumJoughLamps about his Trials Fusion tactics.  

I can't find the Knackered Jack on Boogle Maps? Is it a renamed pub/chain name?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2015
    I can't find the Knackered Jack on Boogle Maps? Is it a renamed pub/chain name?
    The KJ is the name of the loose assembly of guitarists that turns up, not the name of the location at which they turn up.

The location is cunningly hidden in plain view in this thread ... 

;)

And make sure you bring the blue Sabre.
  • Oh FFS, when did I stop understanding technology?
    Oh FFS, when did I stop understanding technology?
    Fortunately, you do a job in which technology isn't needed.

Oh, hang on, what was that loud crash I just heard ???

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom