What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27690
    edited June 2015
    mrchi said:
    it's a 120 round trip but j think it will be worth it
    You're quite local then ... it's that far 1-way for me

;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    mrchi said:
    I'm Going to see what i can do about popping by,, it's a 120 round trip but j think it will be worth it, I can do percussion and can bring a my korg wave drum. .
    I'm not sure of the miles but it's an hour and a half drive from me in Bedford.

I am very grateful for the support if anyone can make it, especially those who are driving some distance.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    @ttony 27th is def out I'm afraid - will pm you some time this week to see what we can arrange
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Just saw this thread and got a pass from Mrs_MD @Alnico. I could provide some vocals as well.
    Adam_MD said:
    Just saw this thread and got a pass from Mrs_MD @Alnico. I could provide some vocals as well.
    Brilliant !

Thanks man and Thank You Mrs_MD.

Vocals would be great man ! I can still sing a bit but i'm quite aware of it not being as great as it used to be and i'm struggling to hit any notes higher than a D, which is not great.
    I heard a great new song this week called 'Hard Came the Rain' by Rag n Bone Man. I can play it well and a few years ago i could have sung it really well, something close to how he does it but sadly for me, i can't even get close now.
    You know that thing that Meat Loaf / David Coverdale / Dave Lee Roth chose to ignore ? Well that's me now and i'm going to quit before i make the same mistake.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited June 2015
    ennspek;669692" said:
    I'd love to come, near Leicester too. Unfortunately A) never played in front of anyone B) rubbish C) I think I have a clashing commitment. If I come over all brave I'll see if I can sort something out.
    Err, they're my excuses thank you very much!

In all seriousness I'm going as I want to experience playing with other people but also to prove to any newish players that you don't need to be a gigging guitarist to go along to these things and join in.
    1. Will I be a bit apprehensive? Yes
    2. Will I make mistakes and feel a bit of a prat? Most probably
    C. Will I get many chances to play in a studio and pretend I'm a musician ? No, so I'm dealing with 1 and 2 when they happen.

It's a great opportunity for anyone wanting and willing to just have a go and if you make a real mess of something so what? Just lie about your username on here and pretend youre me.
    ;)
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

Just lie about your username on here and pretend youre me. 
    No.

I'm Flink_Poyd.

:D

I think this is going to be the easiest, most supportive and least judgemental opportunity for anyone to get up and play with a bunch of friendly other guitarists, who are all doing it for a bit of fun and only a bit of fun.  

Reasonably straightforward songs to play.  Plenty of help / assistance/ "how does that bit go" guidance on hand.  Easier than turning up at an open mic night, or a pub jam session.

...................and to add to that, if you do mess it up completely we can always start again once you've got the hang of 'That' bit.

I think tony has summed it up perfectly. It really is a supportive and non judgemental environment for people to find out how much fun it can be to play live.

I will admit, the original idea was to go running pub to pub and perform to the general public and that would only have worked with 90% of the attendees being used to playing on stage and having huge a repertoire to draw from.

This way we have a safe, closed doors 'Setting' and a 'Stage' where the only audience is people who either know how difficult it can be to get up and play or those who are new to it and getting up next..............

I hope this will be a great day out for everyone.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7211
    edited June 2015
    Just to encourage others, our band just treated ourselves to a pre-gig rehearsal at Quad. It's bloody idyllic. You'll have a great time, I'm sure.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff193/guitarsforminnaars/Mobile Uploads/6A76F8C3-6129-4A61-B8D7-7E856E3D2261.jpg
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    @GavHaus
    Is that pedalboard yours or the studios?
    On a side note checked your band out on bandcamp and the URL to go to your own site doesnt work if you didnt know
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26744
    edited June 2015
    Suddenly, I appear to be free that night.

Anybody fancy some tasteless 80s hair-metal?

EDIT: Or, more accurately - I'm free, have a pass and the wife's going to pick me up at the end of the evening. Result.
    <space for hire>
    edited June 2015
    EDIT: Or, more accurately - I'm free, have a pass and the wife's going to pick me up at the end of the evening. Result.
    Excellent @digitalscream!!

How's the shoulder?

Take a look at the playlist list and add a couple of tracks onto the current set for Leicester

:)
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26744
    TTony said:
    Excellent @digitalscream!!

How's the shoulder?

Take a look at the playlist list and add a couple of tracks onto the current set for Leicester

:)
    So...no Skid Row, then? :D

Shoulder's pretty bad at the mo, but I've got a plan (of sorts) and a rather long story of the amusing hell that is my life which may have to wait until the 27th ;)
    <space for hire>
    @digitalscream

play sitting down, it's all very informal.

Would be really great to see you and have you play there man.

Thanks for your support.

BTW - i will go for some 80's rock / metal, no problem at all man. I would love to play that stuff again.
  • @Alnico - how do you play that little run on Going Back Home? I know everything is based in A, but how do you get that up and down thing going?
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    If you search YT, you'll find the man himself explaining it.

I don't have a link, otherwise I'd post it.
    edited June 2015
    Gotcha

The main guitar riff which is the A Chord on 5th string open (A) and 4th string, 2nd fret (E) with the second beat of the first bar, hit the 6th string 2nd fret (F#) once.

The bit you asked about is 5th string, 3rd (C) and 4th (C#) fret then immediately to the 6th string 3rd fret (G), then back into the main riff again.

The arrangement goes that you do one bar as the main riff and then one bar as the 'Up and Down' riff. The guitar does this twice over, (4 bars) then the band comes in and does it twice over again (4 Bars) before the vocals start.
    As the vocals start it goes to doing that riff again in the verse FOUR times over ( 8 Bars ), then you're in D. Now it's up to you if you want to do what Jimmy Page did with the riff in 'Rock n Roll' and just move it all up one string to play it in D, or just play a D chord or even our own interpretation of what should fit there.

The verse is A, D, A, E, D, E........."So i can fill her up and start her, then i'm.............................
        C                 B                 A  
    GOING         BACK          HOME"
    5th Str.         5th Str.         5th Str.    4th Str.
    3rd Fret        2nd Fret        OPEN + 2nd Fret

That last A on the Lyric "HOME" is actually the A Chord again and is actually the first beat of the next 4 bars of the main riff again before the vocals kick in for verse 2.

Really hope that made sense !
  • Ta for that, I'll give it a shot.

@TTony - I checked that vid out and I can see what he's doing, I'm just not quick enough to follow him!
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • Tom_gTom_g Frets: 0
    edited June 2015
    This sounds great count me in. Our band practice at Quad it's a really good place. Has John_a seen this :-)