Game of Thrones

What's Hot

Comments

• Well I thought it was total wank. A complete betrayal of the clever writing of the first bunch of seasons. Might as well have repeated the blue balls of Phantom Menace.

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969 said:
    Nice to see it veer off the Hollywood script and get a bit edgy ... best episode of this season for me 
    What exactly is edgy about getting a boner over children being burnt alive, and a complete See You On The Following Tuesday getting away scott-free with all of her crimes?? Jog on.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12016
    Danny1969 said:
    Nice to see it veer off the Hollywood script and get a bit edgy ... best episode of this season for me 
    What exactly is edgy about getting a boner over children being burnt alive, and a complete See You On The Following Tuesday getting away scott-free with all of her crimes?? Jog on.
    My guess is (given that the future revenue of this franchise is from the prequels) that the ending of this series will be palatable to most viewers (so I assume the mass-murderer will be killed by someone soon)
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 275
    I reckon Hot Pie will take the throne. 

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11951
    She should’ve done this on the way to the north with 3 dragons....it seems way too easy.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13968
    OK there's a few of things I'm puzzled by, not sure if I missed some things or not:

and, Tyrion asked sir Davos to do him a favour because he was a smuggler, what was the favour? Smuggle Jamie to King's Landing I presume?

out of
    Ah yes, OK got it.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13968
    edited May 2019
    I think Ep 5 suffered in editing, I sense that there may have been a lot of scenes that were cut for time, the whole Varys arc in this episode seemed rushed which to me suggests there may have been more to this part of the story but was cut. 

The editing left me with questions over Varys' letters and their point, and the little girl, what was she doing?

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2444
    Personally, I thought ep 5 was very very rushed. This whole season is suffering from very poor writing and them trying to cram everything into 6 episodes. Compared to seasons 1-4, it's like a different program. All subtlety has gone.

Finally we got some logic though around Dany's plan of attack; although, why did only 1 ship have a scorpion on it when they ALL did previously?

The editing left me with questions over Varys' letters and their point, and the little girl, what was she doing?
    I believe Varys was trying to use her to poison Dany. Again, not very clear though due to lazy writing.

And I'm really getting tired of the plot-armour Arya has. Goes from a great character, to a magical assassin, to...... whatever this is. And manages to avoid getting seriously injured in all the battles.

My call for the last episode; Jon kills Dany after she orders Drogon to burn him (which doesn't work either because Drogon realises he 'out-ranks' her as a Targ, or the flames don't burn him).

Season ends with war again, this time between Dany's supporters and Jon's (this wouldn't make sense seeing as how all the North are behind Jon and Dany would only have the remains of the Dothraki (who i thought all died at Winterfell, but according to episode 5, maybe not..???) and the Unsullied. WOuldn't make sense, therefore fits perfectly with current writing).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Bezzer said:
    “I looked, and behold, an ashen horse; and he who sat on it had the name Death; and Hades was following with him.”

Bit on the nose maybe, but I liked it! 
    My first thought was, “oh look, there’s binky”
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4677
    i thought it was all just a bit rushed, this whole series seems to have been, why did they decide to only have 6 episodes? they could have used the same endings but actually made it make more sense by making 10 episodes. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969 said:
    My guess is (given that the future revenue of this franchise is from the prequels) that the ending of this series will be palatable to most viewers (so I assume the mass-murderer will be killed by someone soon)
    I mean Cersei. She gets to die in a sort of dignified way, after all the fucked up shit she has done. It's a nonsense.

Bye!

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12063
    How many million gallons of firey puke can come from one dragon?  It didn't need to be that far beyond the implausible to set the direction change for blondie surely?

And when it lept that shark...
    Back in season one Dany smiled as her brother was killed. She's left roads adorned with the crucified. She's always taken the bloody path unless advisers have managed to convince her otherwise. Violent revenge has always been her thing.
    But lots of folks see her as their cuddly blond hero and just can't cope with her being a monster. At least Cercei is more honest about what she is.

So, this.

Dany has always been an asshole.  She's just hot, so people like to give her a pass, but she has been burning and crucifying people throughout most of the show.  Her dragons were born when she burned a woman alive, admittedly a woman who was also an asshole.

That's the problem with righteous vengeance, the bar moves and you don't notice. 

It feeling right to burn alive the woman who killed your baby and zombiefied your husband, to it feeling right to crucify 200 people because they crucified 200 kids, to destroying an entire city because they didn't rise up against the occupying army and recgonise your "legitimate" claim to the throne...  she has been on the path since season two at least.

It's also what warfare in the ancient world was often like, whole cities were burned and their inhabitants slaughtered, children, babies, the lot.

She finally figured out that Drogon is the equivalent of a B-52 full of cruise missiles turning up in the hundred years war, and predictably wiped out a city.

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2444
    How many million gallons of firey puke can come from one dragon?  It didn't need to be that far beyond the implausible to set the direction change for blondie surely?

And when it lept that shark...
    Back in season one Dany smiled as her brother was killed. She's left roads adorned with the crucified. She's always taken the bloody path unless advisers have managed to convince her otherwise. Violent revenge has always been her thing.
    But lots of folks see her as their cuddly blond hero and just can't cope with her being a monster. At least Cercei is more honest about what she is.

So, this.

Dany has always been an asshole.  She's just hot, so people like to give her a pass, but she has been burning and crucifying people throughout most of the show.  Her dragons were born when she burned a woman alive, admittedly a woman who was also an asshole.

That's the problem with righteous vengeance, the bar moves and you don't notice. 

It feeling right to burn alive the woman who killed your baby and zombiefied your husband, to it feeling right to crucify 200 people because they crucified 200 kids, to destroying an entire city because they didn't rise up against the occupying army and recgonise your "legitimate" claim to the throne...  she has been on the path since season two at least.

It's also what warfare in the ancient world was often like, whole cities were burned and their inhabitants slaughtered, children, babies, the lot.

She finally figured out that Drogon is the equivalent of a B-52 full of cruise missiles turning up in the hundred years war, and predictably wiped out a city.

Fully agree. However, I think the issue that people have is not so much that this was telegraphed from her previous actions - it's just that it was a fairly disjointed 'snap' of it suddenly happening.

Also - now that Miss Sunday was killed, who was doing Dany's hair?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4667
    It all comes down to mad Targarians and inbreeding (it's the Targarian way). Whereas Jon is a mixture of Stark and Targarian. Both of Dannies Brothers went mad, and she has followed suit.
    As stated above I think we will loop round to episode 1 where Ned passes sentence on the Black Watch deserter and also acts as executioner, Jon will do the same with Danny as will become the true king of the 7 kingdoms.

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4160
    They've spent years showing Dany is violent and vengeful. All her acts of mercy have been because advisers - Barriston, Jorah, Jon, Mellisandre, Tyrion etc. - have pushed her to be mercyful. Along the way she has burnt, forcefully colonised, and crucified her way across the world. 

Her original plan for last night's battle was what we actually got. She actually told us this is what she wanted to do - to burn the whole place down. She saw the population as willing servants of Cercei rather than the innocent hostages they are. It was only Jon and Tyrion that got her to even consider allowing the city to surrender. 

And people say "It's surprising she did this", no she actually said she wanted to do it way before. She's always been like this - but she's pretty and blonde - so people think she's lovely and have a fan crush on her. 

There's nothing at all sudden about Dany's actions. 

The show even deliberately gives us characters that are like the disbelieving fans. Adoring members of the Dany fan club like Jorah, Tyrion and Jon - they represent that fans that can't believe Dany would suddenly behave this way when they've been blind to her always being this way. 

---

Changing the subject I wish they'd done better at showing the passage of time. I understanding cutting to the next location. But some small way of showing the time that's passed, that vast distances have been travelled, should have been included. Even if just text captions "Two months, 500 leagues later" etc. 

• bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1690
    Perhaps Arya actually died a number of times during the siege and was resurrected by the lord of light for a purpose..  it certainly seemed like she "reawoke" in some scenes. Is there a prophecy about such, hence the horse? Flaming Needle anyone??
    Could she kill Dany??
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Perhaps Arya actually died a number of times during the siege and was resurrected by the lord of light for a purpose..  it certainly seemed like she "reawoke" in some scenes. Is there a prophecy about such, hence the horse? Flaming Needle anyone??
    Could she kill Dany??
    I think it's Bran, watching over her in some way. 

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    I mean Cersei. She gets to die in a sort of dignified way, after all the fucked up shit she has done. It's a nonsense.
    I don't agree. I think if she'd died fighting or unrepentant, falling from a tower or being obliterated in dragony flames, that would have been more dignified. Even if she'd been debased in some way, like the naked walk of shame... she's been through that before, and held her head high. She died cowering in the dark underground, terrified of dying and knowing that her unborn child was doomed and there was nothing she could do. Her villainy has been motivated by her desire to protect her children. We saw her broken.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12450
    i thought it was all just a bit rushed, this whole series seems to have been, why did they decide to only have 6 episodes? they could have used the same endings but actually made it make more sense by making 10 episodes. 
    I think they extended the episodes and had less to fit longer battles in. It would have been better to have more episodes and cut some from the battles, once you had seen several streets of people burn the message was clear.

Re the ending the obvious one is Dany is removed, I predicted before this episode that Dany would anihilate the city and then be killed and Gendry would be handed the throne as either Jon dies or doesn't want it and goes to find his dog.  This may be too neat but I think it will be something like this.

I'm not sure Jon would be able to kill Dany he seems to have regretted hanging the boy who stabbed him and I think it will take Arya/Sansa/Greyworm/Drogon to kill her.
    I wonder if Jon will indeed kill Dany. Maybe even at the same spot as where his (adopted) father Ned carried out that execution in episode one - the show coming full circle. 

Also if Cercei is dead then that was a good end for the type of show this is. This isn't the kind of show where people get neat endings, where people get to say goodbye, it's where kids get roasted in the street with their mother, where people get stabbed at their wedding.