Game of Thrones

What's Hot

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    More plot/character that the previous two splatter-fests.  Loved it !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4666
    Peter Dinklage deserves an Oscar or 10 he was the real star of the show. From start to finish.
    Certainly had the best lines.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2938
    edited May 2019
    The finale was about the best I could've hoped for.

The season was a cinematic success, definitely. Some beautiful shots.

But Jesus Christ, the writing needed so much more. So badly rushed. As has been said, that season could've been 3 or 4. It felt like a brief outline with two massive battles.

It's kind of fitting that they crafted so many gorgeously lavish scenes, but managed to leave a fucking coffee cup and a water bottle in two scenes. Sums it up really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11945
    It all sets up to be GoT season 9.

Drogon drops Dany off in a land of mysterious people, a witch finds her and resurrects her (Jon came back after all).  She recovers and seeks her revenge on Westeros.

Seriously though the ending was like wtf.

Dany basically got set up as the bad guy at the end of ep5 and at the start of ep6 she was killed?!

Up until ep3 she was the saviour of the land with her army and dragons against the night king.  How did things turn so fast and have her killed off so quickly! There was 1 scene between her toasting everyone and being stabbed.  It was way rushed.

then they had the cheek to waste time by filming Tyrion rearranging some god damn chairs.  FFS, lazy writing or what.  Talk about not using your time sufficiently.  So many long shots of Jon walking, Tyrion walking, they they rushed it with the actual story itself.

I knew Dany had to died after the last episode but does it have to be right at the start and does wheelie boy with not charisma have to be king?  The one with the best story? Really? They haven’t developed his character for about 3 years! He’s been pointless this season apart from telling Jon he is a Targerean.  Tyrion has the best story tbh.

i love this show not having your typical Hollywood plot and then they give it a Hollywood ending and the Starks live happily ever after.  

It would’ve been better had they subverted my expectation and not killed Dany and have her kill Jon instead and roll on and conquer all.  Have the “bad guys” win.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    They could have managed their time a lot better on things that mattered in the end.

Briene and Jamie doing it. What was the point of that hit it and run?
    Arya getting horny, was that really needed in the grand scheme of things?
    20mins of them drinking after the battle. Way too long.
    the cost 2 episodes was basically set up waiting for ep3 to happen, that’s 2 hours of drag.

It seems without the guidance of the book and with only a target to aim to by the author they don’t have a clue have to fill in the blanks properly, it really is like they film 6 episodes because they don’t have enough material for 10, they need know the target but can’t write the roads for the characters to get there. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11993

But as always the internet rage has gone too far, as was stated above we were there when TV surpassed movies, we were all there when we realised that a story told not over two hours but over 80 could be better...
    Some of us were there in 2004 when Battlestar Galactica surpassed the movies...the first time round

EDIT: Galactica's finale was a bit "WTF?" too, ironically because they put too much in to it - all they had to do was take out that last scene, and it would've been awesome.
    You flatter my age sir @digitalscream ;, I was the biggest fan around of BSG... I think the last scene was ironically the one they planned from the start, RDM said he always wanted it to end with 6 and Baltar walking through modern New York.

My favourite bit in the BSG finale (no real spoilers) is when the colony launches what looks like hundreds of raiders, and Hotdog's couple of dozen Vipers move to engage them with him going "Here they come, let's take them..." all my fighter pilot fantasies come at once.

...and it was pretty popular, but didn't reach the cultural significance of GOT.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3780
    And the first spinoff is already in production https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-48280752
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7377
    Jon leaves greyworm killing soldiers, walks to go see Dany. Greyworm is already there before him. What?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12007
    DefaultM said:
    Jon leaves greyworm killing soldiers, walks to go see Dany. Greyworm is already there before him. What?
    yes, I thought that
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2442
    That was.... OK. For Hollywood.

I quite liked it (it could have been much, much worse; Budget Jack Sparrow (TM) on the throne, anyone?), but it was far too 'nice' and neat for GoT. Dany's death was very anti-climatic. In all 8 seasons, nothing actually happens to Jon; he ends up exactly where he started... only difference being he DOES know things now.

Was half expecting the group of Wildlings to encounter a White Walker and then the series ends.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26794

But as always the internet rage has gone too far, as was stated above we were there when TV surpassed movies, we were all there when we realised that a story told not over two hours but over 80 could be better...
    Some of us were there in 2004 when Battlestar Galactica surpassed the movies...the first time round

EDIT: Galactica's finale was a bit "WTF?" too, ironically because they put too much in to it - all they had to do was take out that last scene, and it would've been awesome.
    You flatter my age sir @digitalscream ;, I was the biggest fan around of BSG... I think the last scene was ironically the one they planned from the start, RDM said he always wanted it to end with 6 and Baltar walking through modern New York.

My favourite bit in the BSG finale (no real spoilers) is when the colony launches what looks like hundreds of raiders, and Hotdog's couple of dozen Vipers move to engage them with him going "Here they come, let's take them..." all my fighter pilot fantasies come at once.

...and it was pretty popular, but didn't reach the cultural significance of GOT.
    Ahhh...yeah, I wasn't talking about cultural significance or popularity. Just when a TV series became better than cinema because of the long-form story-telling (but with a defined beginning and end), along with fantastic cinematography, great acting and really good pacing.

I've watched BSG a couple of times now, and I genuinely don't think there's a weak spot in the whole five seasons.
    <space for hire>
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24674

Drogon drops Dany off in a land of mysterious people, a witch finds her and resurrects her (Jon came back after all).  She recovers and seeks her revenge on Westeros.

Dany basically got set up as the bad guy at the end of ep5 and at the start of ep6 she was killed?!

Up until ep3 she was the saviour of the land with her army and dragons against the night king.  How did things turn so fast and have her killed off so quickly! There was 1 scene between her toasting everyone and being stabbed.  It was way rushed.

then they had the cheek to waste time by filming Tyrion rearranging some god damn chairs.  FFS, lazy writing or what.  Talk about not using your time sufficiently.  So many long shots of Jon walking, Tyrion walking, they they rushed it with the actual story itself.

I knew Dany had to died after the last episode but does it have to be right at the start and does wheelie boy with not charisma have to be king?  The one with the best story? Really? They haven’t developed his character for about 3 years! He’s been pointless this season apart from telling Jon he is a Targerean.  Tyrion has the best story tbh.

i love this show not having your typical Hollywood plot and then they give it a Hollywood ending and the Starks live happily ever after.  

It would’ve been better had they subverted my expectation and not killed Dany and have her kill Jon instead and roll on and conquer all.  Have the “bad guys” win.

Dany becoming evil was obvious from when she enjoyed the death of her brother at the beginning.

She didn’t really become evil, she always was, just wrapped up in destiny and helping the little people. 

Her dialogue on the way, about killing all those in her way announced it repeatedly. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12007
    Will all the world's Khaleesis change their names now, or just stick with it?
    edited May 2019

Dany becoming evil was obvious from when she enjoyed the death of her brother at the beginning.

She didn’t really become evil, she always was, just wrapped up in destiny and helping the little people. 

Her dialogue on the way, about killing all those in her way announced it repeatedly. 
    The point is that she was the show's protagonist for years, all the good guys characters were with her, and therefore it made us the audience to stand with her.  Now they turn everyone against her, Jon & Co. after 7 years, 5 and a half episodes in, and at the start of ep 6, after just 1 speech and she was killed?

It seems there could have been a lot more there to do in between.

This season shows 1 thing, the writers without the meat of the book can only produce skin.  6 episodes, some 80mins long, but they have no idea how to fill the time unless there is action going on.  All the time is filled with pointless things like Tyrion moving chairs, Jon walking slowly through the dead in the city, Arya walking slowly through the dead in the city, Tyrion walking through the dead in the city, FFS, you made your point!  Jamie and Brienne doing it and he hit leaves the next morning?  Talk about use and abuse! Arya getting horny and then later on "no thanks, i don't want to be your wife, I want to travel."  They had no idea what to do with Bran after he became the 3 eye raven, he has done absolutely bugger all in both character development or driven the story except turning up in the end and went "Why did you think i came here?"

The show at its best is to deliver the unexpected.  If Martin's orders is that Bran would be King and Dany to die then between where the book stopped to end of the TV series they lost their way.   Tyrion no longer is the smart one, in fact he has made some really dumb decisions of late.  They stopped developing most of the main characters and they became a bit of talking heads.

In the end it got very Hollywood, it stopped being the unpredictable shows that we loved. Which is a shame. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4331
    What a shit ending. I’m not quite sure what I wanted but it wasn’t that. It doesn’t sit right. 

The first 3 episodes of this season were great. It’s been severely lacking since then. 

Shame! 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2442
    I did appreciate the fact that we saw Robyn Arryn and whatshisface from the Red Wedding (Tully?) at Tyrion's hearing at the end though.

Although we never did hear the punchline to Tyrion's joke about a donkey and the honeycomb....
  • ColsCols Frets: 7135
    edited May 2019
    At first I thought ‘more implausibility’; Tyrion proposing Bran The Boring for the throne who, to all outward appearances, sits there and does literally nothing, other than to claim that he can see into the past or future.  And the rest of the council say “Yup, super idea”.

But then I could see the thought process of “You know what?  After Robert, Joffrey, Cersei and Daenerys we could use a bit of boring.  Someone who’ll sit there and not go totally mental.”
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8811
    edited May 2019
    Cols said:
    At first I thought ‘more implausibility’; Tyrion proposing Bran The Boring for the throne who, to all outward appearances, sits there and does literally nothing, other than to claim that he can see into the past or future.  And the rest of the council say “Yup, super idea”.

But then I could see the thought process of “You know what?  After Robert, Joffrey, Cersei and Daenerys we could use a bit of boring.  Someone who’ll sit there and not go totally mental.”
    Spend his free time warging into copulating geese, see what it's like.

Or Drogon...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11993
    Ahhh...yeah, I wasn't talking about cultural significance or popularity. Just when a TV series became better than cinema because of the long-form story-telling (but with a defined beginning and end), along with fantastic cinematography, great acting and really good pacing.

I've watched BSG a couple of times now, and I genuinely don't think there's a weak spot in the whole five seasons.
    BSG was great :)

Also great (though with the odd ropey episode) the oft forgotten Babylon 5... with ropey CGI and music from the guy from Tangerine Dream...

You are the dreamer, and the dream...