Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8811
    We’ll be onto Blake’s 7, next.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    FarleyUK said:
    That was.... OK. For Hollywood.

I quite liked it (it could have been much, much worse; Budget Jack Sparrow (TM) on the throne, anyone?), but it was far too 'nice' and neat for GoT. Dany's death was very anti-climatic. In all 8 seasons, nothing actually happens to Jon; he ends up exactly where he started... only difference being he DOES know things now.

Was half expecting the group of Wildlings to encounter a White Walker and then the series ends.
    Ditto
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11992
    JerkMoans said:
    We’ll be onto Blake’s 7, next.
    We might...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4208
    Servalan fuelled many a boys naughty dreams ;)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24672

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11945

Posts like that really gripes me.

Why compare yourself to the worst? It is like saying “it’s okay we didn’t win the Premier League this year, at least we are not the club in the conference getting relegated”.

WTF, have more ambition FFS, you’ve set yourself up to be something amazing, has been something amazing and the reason that you didn’t pull off an equally amazing ending is that another show fooked it up?

That is as lazy as the writing of GoT has been this year.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24672
    ha ha hahahaha!

I'm not.

I liked the GoT ending. So ner ner ner ner ner.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    They could have managed their time a lot better on things that mattered in the end.

Briene and Jamie doing it. What was the point of that hit it and run?
    Arya getting horny, was that really needed in the grand scheme of things?
    20mins of them drinking after the battle. Way too long.
    the cost 2 episodes was basically set up waiting for ep3 to happen, that’s 2 hours of drag.

It seems without the guidance of the book and with only a target to aim to by the author they don’t have a clue have to fill in the blanks properly, it really is like they film 6 episodes because they don’t have enough material for 10, they need know the target but can’t write the roads for the characters to get there. 

Agree with this so much. For me the first two episode were really dull, and could have been condensed. After that there was so much thin character plot, as if they were cramming so many character endings in. Jaimie & Cersei - poor. The first half of the last episode was great, then after Dany's death it went tits up. Jump forward a few weeks and a quick debate and Bran's king. That was RUBBISH. Then all that nonsense around the table - pointless.

Castle Black - just what is the Night's Watch for then?

the more I think about this the more I feel the whole last series was a real mess. Great cinematography but woeful execution of plot. Really poor. Such a shame to cock up the final furlong of what has been excellent TV.

Anyway, Westworld S3. We can hope.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12007
    Snap said:
    They could have managed their time a lot better on things that mattered in the end.

Briene and Jamie doing it. What was the point of that hit it and run?
    Arya getting horny, was that really needed in the grand scheme of things?
    20mins of them drinking after the battle. Way too long.
    the cost 2 episodes was basically set up waiting for ep3 to happen, that’s 2 hours of drag.

It seems without the guidance of the book and with only a target to aim to by the author they don’t have a clue have to fill in the blanks properly, it really is like they film 6 episodes because they don’t have enough material for 10, they need know the target but can’t write the roads for the characters to get there. 

Agree with this so much. For me the first two episode were really dull, and could have been condensed. After that there was so much thin character plot, as if they were cramming so many character endings in. Jaimie & Cersei - poor. The first half of the last episode was great, then after Dany's death it went tits up. Jump forward a few weeks and a quick debate and Bran's king. That was RUBBISH. Then all that nonsense around the table - pointless.

the more I think about this the more I feel the whole last series was a real mess. Great cinematography but woeful execution of plot. Really poor. Such a shame to cock up the final furlong of what has been excellent TV.

Anyway, Westworld S3. We can hope.

I thought the nightswatch was now to protect the southern northerners against the wildlings, except for the ones already there, in the nightswatch. Ermmm hang on........
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2938
    Snap said:

the more I think about this the more I feel the whole last series was a real mess.
    This is what it boils down to I think - the season was great if you don't think about it too much.
  • BluebeardBluebeard Frets: 228
    I am surprised people still kept taking this program seriously after that Hodor "Hold The Door" bit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11945
    Bidley said:
    Snap said:

the more I think about this the more I feel the whole last series was a real mess.
    This is what it boils down to I think - the season was great if you don't think about it too much.
    That stance is fine for most other action shows but GoT has build itself up to be a smarter one than the rest.
    Bluebeard said:
    I am surprised people still kept taking this program seriously after that Hodor "Hold The Door" bit.
    I think that came from GRRM.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    Bidley said:
    Snap said:

That stance is fine for most other action shows but GoT has build itself up to be a smarter one than the rest.
    For me, it's maybe disappointment. It's been brilliant, and they had two years to do this last bit and they really cocked it up. I watched it and though, yeah, it's still a cracking show, but by their own standards, this is poor. Shame. Yeah, that's how I'd sum it up "a shame".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27279
    edited May 2019
    Snap said:

I thought the nightswatch was now to protect the southern northerners against the wildlings, except for the ones already there, in the nightswatch. Ermmm hang on........
    I thought the whole thing of sending Jon back to the wall was because all his friends & family knew Tormund was there with Jon's dog and they'd let go him beyond the wall again and be reasonably happy, while Grey Worm et al had no clue and thought it was a bigger punishment than it was. 

Incidentally, Naath - where the unsullied are heading - is apparently full of butterflies that carry a plague that kills foreigners. So they're all fucked. Ha! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bidley said:
    Snap said:

Which is why this season seems so dissonant.
  • Bluebeard said:
    Yeah that was corny as shit. Hated it. But I was able to ignore it.

Bye!

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7964
    Dany becoming evil was obvious from when she enjoyed the death of her brother at the beginning.

She didn’t really become evil, she always was, just wrapped up in destiny and helping the little people. 

Her dialogue on the way, about killing all those in her way announced it repeatedly. 

Exactly.

They arguably tried to rush the final descent into madness, but otherwise she was never a purely good character.
    I would say the strengths of GOT in it's early seasons were...

It took HBOs lack of rules on violence/sex/language and ran with them
    Writing that took time building character and earning a resolution, while spooling out the story slowly.
    Production Design, Costumes, Photography and SFX of mostly feature quality on a TV budget.

I think you could sum up seasons 7 and 8 as...

It took HBOs lack of rules on violence/sex/language and ran with them
    Writing that rushed spooling out the story, and hurt character development, leading to less weight in the resolution.
    Production Design, Costumes, Photography and SFX of feature quality or above on a TV budget.

The only flaw the show really had was doing four seasons worth of story at the "old pace" in two shorter seasons. 

It suffers because we all know the short seasons were due to cast salaries, and the two years instead of four were because the showrunners are bored and felt trapped doing the show.

It was still really good though, a cultural lightning in a bottle moment, and nowhere near the poor quality of final seasons we get with other shows.
    Dany becoming evil was obvious from when she enjoyed the death of her brother at the beginning.

She didn’t really become evil, she always was, just wrapped up in destiny and helping the little people. 

Her dialogue on the way, about killing all those in her way announced it repeatedly. 

Exactly.

They arguably tried to rush the final descent into madness, but otherwise she was never a purely good character.
    The clumsy 0-to-mental descent is the part people take issue with.