Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• @Digital_Igloo - is it possible to upgrade directly from 2.21 to 2.50, or am I going to have to go through 2.3 first? Yeah, I'm a bit slow...
    You can go straight to 2.50. Download the 2.51 editor first, just to be safe.
    Aces. Thanks, to both you and the devs!
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Really liking the new reverbs. Making me question the need to keep the Bigsky...we'll see...
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Random question and not strictly Helix related but someone here may know the answer!

I've noticed now that I've got the Helix set as my Mac's sound card, that when I record a video of myself playing in iMovie, it now directly records the audio from the Helix. Superb, and for practice videos, means I don't have to mess around trying to sync up audio and video.

Does anyone know if it's possible to change any settings and also get iMovie to 'hear' what's playing from the Mac too? For example if I'm playing over a backing track, iMovie doesn't hear that and when I play back the movie, it's just the guitar sound that's captured. It's no biggie to sync the video with the backing track but would be great if there's a workaround.

Likewise, if I were to Skype with my tutor, it would be good if he could also hear the backing track rather than just me.
  • @BRISTOL86 I’ve used loopback from Rogue Amoeba software to do this, but would also be interested in hearing other’s solutions.

Can’t your skype tutor hear the sound from your monitors or are you using headphones?
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    @BRISTOL86 I’ve used loopback from Rogue Amoeba software to do this, but would also be interested in hearing other’s solutions.

Can’t your skype tutor hear the sound from your monitors or are you using headphones?
    I haven’t tried Skype yet I was just curious. Presumably you’d have to set your input audio source as either the helix or the built in mic - I was thinking you’d get a nice clean direct sound with the helix if it could somehow pick up anything playing direct on the Mac.   
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
    So...how good/close is the Friedman to the real thing?

If its close then I might have found the (real) amp I need in my life..
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    welshboyo said:

It's pretty close although a good deal quieter
    The BE100 is a beast of an amp. I actually really like its clean channel.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1995
    Cabicular said:
    welshboyo said:

Does the 2.5 model clean up nicely / do cleaner plexi sounds ?

currently got a mod2204 and low gain amp in my main patch for drive & cleans, would like to reduce it to 1 amp if I could.

edited February 2018
    Cabicular said:
    welshboyo said:

OK, this could get messy LOL

sgosden
    said:

Does the 2.5 model clean up nicely / do cleaner plexi sounds ?

currently got a mod2204 and low gain amp in my main patch for drive & cleans, would like to reduce it to 1 amp if I could.

The model on Helix does have a few of the switchable options on the amp (HBE, Saturation, Fat etc) so IMO yes you can do it all on 1 amp - at least I have so far (using snapshot controllers to turn on/off the above per snapshot)

It sounds wonderful
  • Jeez...the Friedman model is so damn quiet I had to put a +3.5dB gain block after it just to match the SLO model in my otherwise-identical live patch. Why???

Also, it doesn't seem to clean up anywhere near as well as the SLO model. Can't see myself using it live, although it'll probably find its place in my double-tracking patch alongside the Soldano.
    <space for hire>
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    You two aren't wrong!  Just knocked a BE100 patch together that sounds the nuts!  Roll on tonight's rehearsal :)

This Helix think just gets better and better, when I got it over a year ago I thought it was great, now with getting used to it and all the new stuff I think it's amazing!

The new Lonestar mode sounds spot on too, and the space echo in the last release is so close it's unreal.  Just had a brief listen to the new reverbs, they are lovely too, and all the old M9 stuff there just so much to tinker with.

• Jeez...the Friedman model is so damn quiet I had to put a +3.5dB gain block after it just to match the SLO model in my otherwise-identical live patch. Why???

Also, it doesn't seem to clean up anywhere near as well as the SLO model. Can't see myself using it live, although it'll probably find its place in my double-tracking patch alongside the Soldano.

I do feel like there's not consistent amounts of volume available between amp blocks, though caveat is I haven't tried them all.  I can adjust easily in Native elsewhere, including the plugin's own output level, but it seems like having additional output headroom on all amp models to allow for better balancing could be helpful, especially if you use high master settings on some and low on others.
    FYI for anyone using 4CM and External Amp Switching - looks to be an issue with ext amp switching (when using within snapshots) @Digital_Igloo I have opened a ticket for it (315838)
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Jeez...the Friedman model is so damn quiet I had to put a +3.5dB gain block after it just to match the SLO model in my otherwise-identical live patch. Why???

Maybe a real SLO is louder?  Never played either, does a read Friedman clean up differently to the Helix one?
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    John_A said:
    Jeez...the Friedman model is so damn quiet I had to put a +3.5dB gain block after it just to match the SLO model in my otherwise-identical live patch. Why???

Maybe a real SLO is louder?  Never played either, does a read Friedman clean up differently to the Helix one?
    Take the gain down on the Friedman and whack the presence up
    also remember you can Boost the level on the cab if it is too low
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 752
    edited February 2018
    I'm confused: I've updated the editor to the 2.5 version but I have no access to the new amp models and my Helix LT is still on version 2.30?

Edit: nevermind, I sorted it out.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm loving these new reverbs. Finally after 2 years of waiting the Helix's one disappointment has been fantastically rectified. Loving the new Friedman model too. Thanks Line 6. 

It's great to have the legacy effects as well. Using any of the mods/delays/drives and reverbs, although some are fun, many of them show just how far Helix has moved ahead sound quality wise, (especially the drives). It is brilliant having all the old filters and synths though which were and still are great :-) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm largely concentrating on getting acoustic patches together at the moment. Using the mic preamp makes this all very easy. A dose of Kinky Boost, compressor and then some mod, reverb, delay and trem gives so many options. I got a set of nice snapshots, but am now going back to recreate these with stereo effects. Sounds amazing.

I've included some low mix octave synth to add something extra and am now looking at the legacy effects. This thing is so quick to try out ideas, I am still loving it.

• YES!!!!!!! LEGACY FILTERS AND GROWLER BITCHES!!!!!

very happy
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Updated this morning. Glitz is great for a reverb hat you want to use as a “now we have the cool reverb engaged” kinda sound. Double Tank with mod off and a low decay is a decent utility reverb. Hope there’s an awesome spring reverb on the way and a plate. 

The Placater sounds like it should. Like a super plexi. Thumbs up

Having the legacy stuff on board might be cool for some guys but it’s just reminded me that I really didn’t like the m-series effects apart from the 63 Spring reverb and optical tremolo. It’s cool to have them there just for the hell of it though