Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• Jetfire said:
    I want 2.5 now please 
    Very soon.
    “Looks like next week”

y u lie to us DI anguished 

now I can’t become a famous rockstar over the weekend because I won’t have a Friedman dropping in hi res verb
    better to wait for it to be right :-)

I'm looking forward to it
    To be honest I’m just yanking his chain, I don’t really have any complaints as is!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Dom and QA team found a couple blocker bugs this morning. Next week; sorry, guys.
    I appreciate the candid approach 
    thanks 
  • @Digital_Igloo - any news on how DSP-intensive the Legacy effects are compared with the core HX effects? For those of us butting up against DSP limits on a couple of patches, these might provide a nice way to get around the issue :)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1818
    I love the way some of the guys on the Line 6 forum are digging into @Digital_Igloo and his guys for using the word "soon" 

FFS, get a grip of yourselves, its a free firmware update, have a little thought for the small bunch of guys working their arses off to get this stuff out to a global audience....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyo said:
    I love the way some of the guys on the Line 6 forum are digging into @Digital_Igloo and his guys for using the word "soon" 

FFS, get a grip of yourselves, its a free firmware update, have a little thought for the small bunch of guys working their arses off to get this stuff out to a global audience....
    It's happened for ever. When I was at Line 6 back in the day launching Vetta, the product ended up being forced into market by impatient customers. It wasn't ready and people moaned. You kind of can't win. I'd rather wait excitedly and there not be any issues. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1818
    welshboyo said:

It's happened for ever. When I was at Line 6 back in the day launching Vetta, the product ended up being forced into market by impatient customers. It wasn't ready and people moaned. You kind of can't win. I'd rather wait excitedly and there not be any issues. 
    I love the way that all of a sudden everyone's a software developer of some kind...

I know Eric and guys are probably immune to all of the "are we there yets?" coming through from the impatient children but fark me it must be tiring....
  • welshboyo said:

Soon is basically a running joke on the Fractal forums.  It's pretty much Cliff's stock response to any question on timescale so there's not much point in asking, it'll be ready when it's ready.

I mean realistically most people aren't idiots and know for a company to get stuff right it takes time.  It's free to the end user either way, presumably they bought their Helix unit/plugin for what it already did not what it might do.

Spent a bunch of time enjoying a tiny amount of B7KU grit blended into the Agua 51 when playing bass last night through Native.  Been using the delays a bunch too, looking forward to the update.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    You digital converts kill me with your impatience. Don't you know that back in the analogue world nothing is worth shit without an 18 month wait.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    welshboyo said:

bet they found where the parents hid their Christmas present and opened them early too.

• @Digital_Igloo - any news on how DSP-intensive the Legacy effects are compared with the core HX effects? For those of us butting up against DSP limits on a couple of patches, these might provide a nice way to get around the issue :)
    It depends on the model, but they should be noticeably less DSP-intensive. And just in case you missed it, note that Path 2 is a completely different DSP so if all your blocks are on Path 1, you're only using one of Helix's two SHARCs.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
  • Digital_IglooDigital_Igloo Frets: 380
    edited February 2018

rossyamaha said:
    Yep. 2.50 was finished over a week ago so "soon" is wholly appropriate; we're just squashing the last of a couple blocker bugs. The problem is if one bug rears its ugly head at the 11th hour, the QA team often has to go though the entire battery of tests once the bug is fixed, just to confirm the fix didn't break something else. So a single tiny bug fix can sometimes push a release back by a week or more.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    It depends on the model, but they should be noticeably less DSP-intensive. And just in case you missed it, note that Path 2 is a completely different DSP so if all your blocks are on Path 1, you're only using one of Helix's two SHARCs.
    Cool - and yeah, I'm fairly evenly-split between the paths. Trouble is, I like my delays and reverbs after the amps, which naturally puts most of them in path 2 (with one amp on each path), so #2 is a little congested.

It's not really a massive problem, mind.
    <space for hire>
  • A quick question on the options for connecting Helix to computer for playback and recording into a DAW. What's your preference and why?

1/4 line outs into audio interface?
    USB direct to computer?
    S/PDIFinto audio interface?

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    USB all the way
  • Cabicular said:
    USB all the way
    Yes
  • I use 1/4 line out in stereo into my saffire pro.
    It's just how I like to roll for various reasons
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Cabicular said:
    USB all the way
    OK, my iMac is currently connected by firewire to a Focusrite Saffire audio interface with monitors connected. If I connect Helix direct to Mac via USB and set the Mac input to Helix and output to Saffire I can see movement on the Mac input meters but hear no sound output. How do I pass audio through this setup from Helix to Mac to Saffire?

• Cabicular said:
    USB all the way
    OK, my iMac is currently connected by firewire to a Focusrite Saffire audio interface with monitors connected. If I connect Helix direct to Mac via USB and set the Mac input to Helix and output to Saffire I can see movement on the Mac input meters but hear no sound output. How do I pass audio through this setup from Helix to Mac to Saffire?
    You need to make an aggregate device (I think!)

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202000
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13963
    edited February 2018
    Cabicular said:
    USB all the way
    You need to make an aggregate device (I think!)

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202000
    Blimey that looks complicated...I want to be able to use the Helix connected to Mac by USB and output via Focusrite to monitors without opening Logic, will that work?

• Just plug it into your saffire for now?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.