Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• horsehorse Frets: 1589
    SteveF said:
    I don't really have anything else connected to the Focusrite other than my monitors and a mic.  I guess the only questions are whether there is any latency issues when recording via USB on the Helix - I quite like that I can direct monitor on the Saffire (can the Helix do this too?) and can I actually route all system audio from the Mac via the Helix to the monitors as I described above?  

And I guess, is the Helix as good a quality mic preamp as the Saffire?
    Yes, you can use it as an interface for everything, including audio playing on the Mac etc. I've never thought about it, but I guess you are hearing the 'direct' processed signal when recording - I've never had any latency issues anyhow. I think you'll be fine if you give it a go. Not sure on the preamp comparison as I don't use it for mics
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• How is everybody liking the new Helix reverbs?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Arse bag awful
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Yeah pretty cool.... still think those octave up “shimmer” reverbs are naff though.

i seem to be using double tank and glitz
  • rich75 said:

I've just seen that the Helix firmware has been updated to version 2.52. No new toys, but there are a few bug fixes:

• External Amp commands could not be transmitted when changing snapshots - FIXED
    • In rare cases, Helix Rack could freeze when updating Helix Control - FIXED
    • In some cases, an External Amp command (Tip only) could change the internal expression pedal from EXP 1 to EXP 2 (or vice versa) on Helix LT - FIXED
    • In some cases, attempting to swap footswitch assignments when one switch was unassigned could cause Helix to freeze - FIXED
    • Other bug fixes and optimizations
    Its been pulled because it bricked a few Helices
    Worth noting that Line 6 are replacing bricked ones right away instead of trying to find a way to resurrect them. That's pretty decent customer service, IMO.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rich75 said:

I've just seen that the Helix firmware has been updated to version 2.52. No new toys, but there are a few bug fixes:

• External Amp commands could not be transmitted when changing snapshots - FIXED
    • In some cases, an External Amp command (Tip only) could change the internal expression pedal from EXP 1 to EXP 2 (or vice versa) on Helix LT - FIXED
    • In some cases, attempting to swap footswitch assignments when one switch was unassigned could cause Helix to freeze - FIXED
    Worth noting that Line 6 are replacing bricked ones right away instead of trying to find a way to resurrect them. That's pretty decent customer service, IMO.

Slightly worrying but mine seems OK after applying this update. In future, I'll hold fire before installing new updates.

It's not a competition.

Arse bag awful
    That’s exactly the tone I’m after as it happens!

For my punk band Arse Bag and the Awfuls

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214

How is everybody liking the new Helix reverbs?

Reverbs are reverbs to me
    a bit of echo I have when the delay isn’t on. As long as there is a decent sounding spring then I don’t really care about the huge washing ambient tones
    The new ones are interesting but I don’t have a use for them
  • rich75 said:

Slightly worrying but mine seems OK after applying this update. In future, I'll hold fire before installing new updates.

It's nothing to worry about - the problems only occurred for folk updating from 2.12 to 2.52. Anybody on 2.20 or later is fine.
    <space for hire>

Arse bag awful

I'm copywriting that! :-D
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Okay, downloaded 2.5 last night so had a good listen.  The reverbs are mainly nice, lush ambient verbs, so it's nice to finally get that in the Helix.  I'll probably still use the basic spring where I need a little bit of amp reverb but really nice to have the options. I'm not a shimmer fan but got some good sounds playing with the octives and adding a low.

I've been mainly using my amp and board lately, so need to try the Helix for a few more gigs.
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    edited March 2018
    Quick USB midi question, probably for @Digital_Igloo ;: assuming it's self powered and doesn't need bus power would a midi controller connected directly via USB to a helix be able send and receive midi commands?

Specifically I'm looking at the Korg Nanokey Studio which can be battery powered. I wouldn't want it to do much with the helix directly but there are a few midi devices further down the chain connected by traditional midi which I'd like control over.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26830
    Quick USB midi question, probably for @Digital_Igloo ;: assuming it's self powered and doesn't need bus power would a midi controller connected directly via USB to a helix be able send and receive midi commands?
    No, because the port on the Helix isn't a USB host (ie it's a device that needs to be connected to a host like a computer, not a host that can have devices attached to it).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2018
    Quick USB midi question, probably for @Digital_Igloo ;;: assuming it's self powered and doesn't need bus power would a midi controller connected directly via USB to a helix be able send and receive midi commands?
    No, because the port on the Helix isn't a USB host (ie it's a device that needs to be connected to a host like a computer, not a host that can have devices attached to it).
    Bum, I suspected there would be a flaw to my plan ...

Back to the McMillen QuNeo via their Midi Expander then.

How about via something like this? Kenton Midi USB Host
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26830

I'd say this one might be a better bet:

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/audio-midi/usb-midi-converter
    <space for hire>

I'd say this one might be a better bet:

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/audio-midi/usb-midi-converter
    And half the price, thanks @digitalscream :)
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Been asked to do a Queen gig and wondered if you guys have any good Brian May patches- getting set list tmrw so will know the actual songs and sounds I need to learn to replicate!
  • rich75rich75 Frets: 36
    Vaiai said:
    Been asked to do a Queen gig and wondered if you guys have any good Brian May patches- getting set list tmrw so will know the actual songs and sounds I need to learn to replicate!

There are a few attempts at Brian May patches on Line 6 Customtone, some of which sound quite good with a bit of tweaking. One of those would at least be a reasonable starting point.
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Vaiai said:
    I believe he uses a Tubescreamer into an AC30. That should be easy to reproduce I'd have thought. The old sixpence he uses instead of a plectrum is also a very important component of his sound I believe. A 10p coin might do that job.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.