Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    The lightning bolts are instant commands so basically when you go to that preset, it does something immediately. If you want to change 2 functions on the amo, you need to assign them to different pedals. I do this with my Lonestar. Command centre, select the footswitch (can't be the mode of tap switches), scroll to "ext amp" and assign on switch to tip and the other to ring. This should then act as regular switches like your dual switch. Per snapshot you turn, the other or both on. This will be saved in said snapshot.

So to clarify, Snapshot 1, if you're say on the clean channel, the assigned pedal should be off. Snapshot 2 you want the dirty channel, go to that switch and turn it on. This should work. If it doesn't there may be a bug so just reload the latest firmware. That solves 99.9% of glitches or at least it has historically for me with any software product. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    edited May 2018
    John_A said:
    I've just done this. Set up in 4CM Put an 'effects loop' in the middle of the block with overdrive, compressors and stuff before it, put the Helix pre amp right after it followed by reverbs etc.  Set a footswitch to disable the effects loop and enable the preamp. Job done.

I have found that the helix preamps are quieter than my real one, still working on that

John_A said:
    I've just done this. Set up in 4CM Put an 'effects loop' in the middle of the block with overdrive, compressors and stuff before it, put the Helix pre amp right after it followed by reverbs etc.  Set a footswitch to disable the effects loop and enable the preamp. Job done.

I have found that the helix preamps are quieter than my real one, still working on that

It depends on the preamp. You can use the full amp and that does give you some more options tonally. 
    The way around this (at least for me) is to use snapshot controller (and/or a footswitch controller as I have Real/Helix Preamp button) to control the db level for the path the Helix preamp is sitting in - for example, I have the preamp in path 1, when I switch out the FX Loop to bypass the real preamp and bring in the Helix preamp to FX return, I simply add 3 or 4 db to the output of path 1.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    The lightning bolts are instant commands so basically when you go to that preset, it does something immediately. If you want to change 2 functions on the amo, you need to assign them to different pedals. I do this with my Lonestar. Command centre, select the footswitch (can't be the mode of tap switches), scroll to "ext amp" and assign on switch to tip and the other to ring. This should then act as regular switches like your dual switch. Per snapshot you turn, the other or both on. This will be saved in said snapshot.

So to clarify, Snapshot 1, if you're say on the clean channel, the assigned pedal should be off. Snapshot 2 you want the dirty channel, go to that switch and turn it on. This should work. If it doesn't there may be a bug so just reload the latest firmware. That solves 99.9% of glitches or at least it has historically for me with any software product. 
    Cheers- I'll give that a try and report back.  The problem (I think) is there is no 'OFF' the amp control switch can be forced to tip/ring on, but doing nothing will leave it at the last state.  May be wrong will get back to you
    welshboyo said:
    John_A said:

John_A said:

It depends on the preamp. You can use the full amp and that does give you some more options tonally. 
    The way around this (at least for me) is to use snapshot controller (and/or a footswitch controller as I have Real/Helix Preamp button) to control the db level for the path the Helix preamp is sitting in - for example, I have the preamp in path 1, when I switch out the FX Loop to bypass the real preamp and bring in the Helix preamp to FX return, I simply add 3 or 4 db to the output of path 1.
    Cheers - Have done something similar.  

Just been through an interesting exercise, have my Helix set up in 4CM with my Engl in the loop, split the signal before the output and added a cab block routed to an FX send.  I'm using a controller assigned to the FX loops level and the same controller controlling the inverse of this to a gain block just before the main out.

Also have a switch to go between real and modelled pre-amps

Still with me :)

This means I can use the control pedal to pan between valve power amp and 'real' speaker and my DXR-10 with a modelled speaker either using the real Engl preamp or the modelled preamp, so four combinations of stuff that 'should all sound the same.

With very little messing around they are so close I couldnt care which I used, and I mean really close, not just that'll do close.

• Just as an aside - do the stock presets sound gick through headphones on everyones Helix?
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Just as an aside - do the stock presets sound gick through headphones on everyones Helix?
    Yeah. Presets are generally pretty pants. Better to start from the bottom and work upwards I've found.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Just as an aside - do the stock presets sound gick through headphones on everyones Helix?
    I don’t really get the stock presets to be honest
    there is a lot of variation of volume and EQ on them. Probably because hey were developed on different FRFR systems
    what is immensely helpful (and often overlooked) are the Templates
    oh and stick a very low gain mid volume  Minotaur in front of the chain always on. It really makes a difference to clean and dirty sound alike
    dont need to waste a footswitch on it , just leave it on
  • horsehorse Frets: 1583
    @John_A - a video of that in action would be great to see if you might be able to do one?
    edited May 2018
    horse said:
    @John_A - a video of that in action would be great to see if you might be able to do one?
    Hi @horse ;; - do you mean to see the process, or hear the results?  Will see what I can do

Edit, just tried to do this with my camera phone and the result isn't great, the DXR and the real cab sound different, most likely due to the placement of the mic the video is here, but not great:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    As an update to my H9 Midi issue, I unplugged the Midi cable both ends, reinserted and all is fine. I’d checked them before but only with a wiggle rather than complete unplug/plug in. All works now :-)
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26712
    PSA: In case anyone hasn't seen it, Helix LT owners can get Helix Native for $99 until May 29th.
    <space for hire>
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    PSA: In case anyone hasn't seen it, Helix LT owners can get Helix Native for $99 until May 29th.
    now that is handy!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    just got it

add $20 for tax = $119
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1583
    John_A said:
    horse said:
    Hi @horse ;; - do you mean to see the process, or hear the results?  Will see what I can do

Edit, just tried to do this with my camera phone and the result isn't great, the DXR and the real cab sound different, most likely due to the placement of the mic the video is here, but not great:

Thanks - yeah that is what we meant, but get that mic placement may be a big factor when comparing
    Spent the last rehearsal telling the bass player to tune up, just realised today I must have knocked the 'reference' knob on the Helix and it was at 234hz!  A setting that's saved when powered off.  Good job I realised before this weekends gigs ;)

Ill say say nothing to the bass player ;)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    I think I might have to take back what I said about Helix. I've just been playing around with Helix Native and got lost playing for about an hour, didn't want to put my guitar down. It's the stock cabs I don't like, I loaded a free Ownhammer IR (mesa cab maybe?), added a touch of reverb and I was away. Love the Shiva and Archon amp models. I'd not really tried the high gain stuff as I was always convinced I wanted an JCM800 emulation but the Archetype is just awesome. All this fun through monitors and headphones whilst my son was asleep in the next room. Dammit now I need an LT!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I’ll be that dick
    whens 2.6 out?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26712
    Cabicular said:
    I’ll be that dick
    whens 2.6 out?
    Soon (tm)
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom