And now for a contentious Lazy J thread..

What's Hot

Comments

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7504
    edited July 2015
    RaymondLin;718959" said:
    miserneil said:

RaymondLin said:

Okay, J20 aside.

What is consider one of the best 5E3 Fender Tweed Deluxe amp out there that has a full reverb tank built in (instead of digital), around 20w with good attenuation too. 

The J20. That's part of it's USP.

Ok, so none?

Just looking for any other contender for a Fender clean, with a real reverb tank, I figure might as well try one out!  Even though I have a plenty of good reverb pedals.
    Careful - if you don't like the sound of a spring reverb, you won't like it.

Yeah, there are good and bad implementations of it but as nice as spring reverb can be, I much much prefer digital reverbs with more extensive tonal options, such as modulation, brightness etc.

I tried a Princeton 68 custom today and the spring reverb was really nice at lower settings for a bit of ambience, but I just don't get on with spring so I'll still use a pedal - unless you want that specific sound, I wouldn't let that dictate which amp you want so much as the dry sound does.

My peavey bandit has a full size spring reverb in it - and I don't like it for anything more than a bit of ambience. The Fender one sounded infinitely better (until the damn thing breaks at least) but I still prefer digital verbs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    edited July 2015
    Okay, J20 aside.

What is consider one of the best 5E3 Fender Tweed Deluxe amp out there that has a full reverb tank built in (instead of digital), around 20w with good attenuation too. 
    The secret is there it's no definitive Best list. That's why we end up with forums and threads like this! There won't be anyone who's had the chance to try out and ABCDE etc all the options side by side. Even if it was possible no one would agree on the best cos tone and the feel of an amp is so subjective and a personal thing.

I guess there's a few things to think about:

What budget do you have?
    Do you want vintage accuracy or modern twists for potential improved reliability/stability?
    Do you worry about resale value or just a decent amp to grow old with?
    Are you after a UK company or happy to import?

There's so much choice of builders these days and it depends how much of a gamble you want to take. I would love to try a Lazy J and reckon it would fill a nice gap in between my other amps. I just can't afford one right now and would probably end up buying something random to not fit in!

But then again my main amp is something the majority of people wouldn't have heard of and this is the inside of my reverb head which is a total opposite to the recommendation above ;)

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12001
    @nickyb_boy The clean tone that I like to emulate and after is actually this one, even though the video isn't about the amp, it's about he Guitar.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    @nickyb_boy The clean tone that I like to emulate and after is actually this one, even though the video isn't about the amp, it's about he Guitar.
    Don't forget to factor in the small matter of the guy playing the said guitar into the said amp ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12001
    nickb_boy said:
    @RaymondLin;719079" said:
    Don't forget to factor in the small matter of the guy playing the said guitar into the said amp ;)
    Minor details :p
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    edited July 2015
    I had a 59 Bassman LTD and wanted to love it but was totally unusable for anything other than light chord riffing for jangles and a bit of clean noodling - turn it up and was uncontrollable mayhem that induced actual nausia!

So got a 57 Deluxe. Is better, great cleans, good breakup contol via the various interacting vols and tone and jumpering etc, except it isn't my fave amp for that Tweed tone! As much as I want it to be, it just can't compete with either the Supersonic 60 or Super Reverb and a pedal. Even the Super Champ XD has a couple of settings that get you there with greater focus! However, it does out-of-the-box Neil Young with a Les Paul with no help from anything other than maybe a double drop D tuning!

It is THE amp, that most are impressed to know you have though...

We often fool ourselves with our eyes and hearts - which is a bad thing for a musician.

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    In other news I think the dirty channel of the 5150 is rubbish for jazz. 
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9630
    nickb_boy said:
    @RaymondLin;719079" said:

Hmmm...
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    It's like TGP light here at the moment.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3058
    I've not yet had chance to play a Lazy J, but I suspect they may take a certain amount of experimentation to really understand how they work and to get the best out of them.

I've had similar experiences with pedals where I've plugged in and been very underwhelmed until I figured out how to use it properly (I'm thinking specifically about a Klon clone, which I initially thought was terrible, but now wouldn't be without it!).

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    When meeting @Gassage recently, he played the Fender Princeton I was delivering, played it loud and I thought it sounded great!

Then he played his Lazy J good and loud. It sounded on another level.
  • Bollocks to it...

Now I'm not getting public approval, and my ego stroked, I'm gonna sell mine.

That's the spirit...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bollocks to it...

That's the spirit...

Man, you're just gonna love my NPD Paul Trombetta thread, where I'll be seeking even more approval from your good self :)
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7818
    RaymondLin;718959" said:
    miserneil said:

RaymondLin said:

Okay, J20 aside.

The J20. That's part of it's USP.

Ok, so none?

Just looking for any other contender for a Fender clean, with a real reverb tank, I figure might as well try one out!  Even though I have a plenty of good reverb pedals.
    brunetti singleman range. Fender clean based, spring reverb and attenuation.

Avoid the fargen townhouse like the plague.
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    Okay, J20 aside.

I'd rate my Swart AST up there with the best of them TBH
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1271
    edited July 2015
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

@MattG's Swart is very nice, quite "dark" sounding IMHO but very nice. 

I took it to a recording session (don't get too excited, just a quick 4 song demo for the pub rock covers band I play with) just out of curiosity and ended up using it for the whole day, the engineer was very complementary and it sounds great in the mix against the other guitarist's Marshall...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2212
    edited July 2015
    I'm not entirely sure what the clean channel of my Two Rock Sensor 50 is based on, but it sounds good. It's obviously more than likely Fender based, but it seems to have a little more bounce than that.
  • Bollocks to it...

That's the spirit...

Man, you're just gonna love my NPD Paul Trombetta thread, where I'll be seeking even more approval from your good self :)
    Consider my breath bated... :-\"
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31021
    LJs are not deluxe clones. They're their own beast. The qualities are richness, depth, warmth and crunch. Nothing like a princeton at all, or what fender NOW believe a deluxe sounds like. LJ vol and vac controls are crazily interactive and if you can't find the right tone out of those, spend your money on playing lessons

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Bollocks to it...

That's the spirit...

Consider my breath bated... :-\"
    Genuinely, I did laugh at that !