And now for a contentious Lazy J thread..

What's Hot

Comments

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    Gassage said:
    LJs are not deluxe clones. They're their own beast. The qualities are richness, depth, warmth and crunch. Nothing like a princeton at all, or what fender NOW believe a deluxe sounds like. LJ vol and vac controls are crazily interactive.

Fender have never made any claims about the similarity between LJs and Deluxes. Amp guys, including Jesse have. And of course the VAC and volume are going to be interactive - it's power scaling that can be found in many amps. It's a bit like being surprised at the genius of a preamp and master volume being interactive. Jesse himself describes the LJ as a Tweed Deluxe modded for gigging - presumably referring to the larger output stage as found in Neil Young's TDs for years. He has since made them to customers specific requests. 

Why is it to LJ owners that comparing the LJ to a well made, modded Tweed Deluxe is such an abhorrent slight when Jesse himself describes them as such? I've already said that if an amp makes you smile then it's worth every penny but it almost seems like people are more interested in protecting their investments rather than enjoying using them to make music.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    LJs are not deluxe clones. They're their own beast. The qualities are richness, depth, warmth and crunch. Nothing like a princeton at all, or what fender NOW believe a deluxe sounds like. LJ vol and vac controls are crazily interactive.

Fender have never made any claims about the similarity between LJs and Deluxes. Amp guys, including Jesse have. And of course the VAC and volume are going to be interactive - it's power scaling that can be found in many amps. It's a bit like being surprised at the genius of a preamp and master volume being interactive. Jesse himself describes the LJ as a Tweed Deluxe modded for gigging - presumably referring to the larger output stage as found in Neil Young's TDs for years. He has since made them to customers specific requests. 

Why is it to LJ owners that comparing the LJ to a well made, modded Tweed Deluxe is such an abhorrent slight when Jesse himself describes them as such? I've already said that if an amp makes you smile then it's worth every penny but it almost seems like people are more interested in protecting their investments rather than enjoying using them to make music.
    @randomhandclaps Give that man a cigar....or failing that, a wisdom.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:

Succinct.  =D>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9628
    edited July 2015
    "but it almost seems like people are more interested in protecting their investments rather than enjoying using them to make music."

A huge, TGP like assumption...

Naturally, both @Gassage and myself don't use and enjoy ours to make music... We couldn't aspire to such lofty heights.

Money/investment is not even an issue here... I guess we are both fortunate to have expendable cash, but I know I lose more than I make...

We both just happen, quite simply, to find these Lazy J amps to be very good indeed.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited July 2015

Naturally, both @Gassage and myself don't use and enjoy ours to make music... We couldn't aspire to such lofty heights.

Yes, because that's like exactly what I wrote. Again we're going down that road you supposedly objected to.

From either a musical or technical viewpoint, backed up by the knowledge and experience of those who work with them to distance the LJ from a well built, modded Tweed Deluxe is a completely unsustainable argument, which again is not even backed up by the guy who built them.

What is really respectable about Jesse is that he has never hidden what it is.  It isn't baked in goop and sold as containing dragon heart strings.  Sadly I think those who try to rewrite fact and Jesse's own words probably ultimately do damage to the brand because they present it as something to be knocked for claiming that it's something that it's not.  Jesse's honesty is in danger of being sullied by uninformed apologists who struggle to enjoy it for exactly what it is.  

You can buy tubescreamer (tweaked or not) in every imaginable price range.  The price people pay and preference is entirely the business of the purchasers but to try and argue that "it isn't just a tubescreamer (tweaked or not) and those who say it is are just trying to start a slanging match" is complete nonsense.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

Yes, because that's like exactly what I wrote. Again we're going down that road you supposedly objected to.

From either a musical or technical viewpoint, backed up by the knowledge and experience of those who work with them to distance the LJ from a well built, modded Tweed Deluxe is a completely unsustainable argument, which again is not even backed up by the guy who built them.

What is really respectable about Jesse is that he has never hidden what it is.  It isn't baked in goop and sold as contained dragon heart strings.  Sadly I think those who try to rewrite fact and Jesse's own word probably ultimately do damage to the brand because they present it as something to be knock for claiming that it's something that it's not.  Jesse's honesty is in danger of being sullied by uninformed apologists who struggle to enjoy it for exactly what it is.  

You can buy tubescreamer (tweaked or not) in every imaginable price range.  The price people pay and preference is entirely the business of the purchasers but to try and argue that "it isn't just a tubescreamer (tweaked or not) and those who say it is are just trying to start a slanging match" is complete nonsense.
    *Sigh*

;-)
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11486
    edited July 2015
    I bought mine before the hype.  It was an amp that Jesse had made, that Chandlers were selling for him.  It doesn't even have a Lazy J logo.  I tried it and it was that much better than the Cornell Romany Plus that I had at the time that I bought it and sold the Cornell.  A year or two later there are glowing reviews in magazines and famous users - and I got there first!

It is based on a Tweed Deluxe but there are significant differences.  For me the speaker is a big part of it.  The Blue (or sometimes the Tayden equivalent) probably gives it a little bit of "British"  flavour and doesn't fart out like the original ones can.  With the GZ34 rectifier and 6L6 power valves you get more power, more clean headroom, and it is tighter than a classic 5E3 circuit.  I don't know if there are a few component or value changes to optimise the sound.

Ultimately it is a great amp.  I've played one or two other amps that are probably as good, but I don't think I've played one that I'd say is better.  Not counting little 5W amps, I went through 6 amps in around 8 years before buying the Lazy J.  I've not bought an amp since in a similar amount of time (although I did buy a Kemper).

Obviously it depends on your taste and it's probably not suitable for everyone.  I use it for a cleanish sound where it's clean if you play lightly and it starts to break up if you hit the strings hard.  It's a lovely warm clean that I'd say is the best I've heard.  I then use pedals to add drive to that.  Some of the drive is coming from the pedals and some probably from the amp being pushed a bit harder.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1564
    I don't care if it's in fashion or not, I love my J20, it sounds heavenly to my ears and it's not going anywhere!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:

It is based on a Tweed Deluxe but there are significant differences.  For me the speaker is a big part of it.  The Blue (or sometimes the Tayden equivalent) probably gives it a little bit of "British"  flavour and doesn't fart out like the original ones can.  With the GZ34 rectifier and 6L6 power valves you get more power, more clean headroom, and it is tighter than a classic 5E3 circuit.  I don't know if there are a few component or value changes to optimise the sound.

Ultimately it is a great amp.  I've played one or two other amps that are probably as good, but I don't think I've played one that I'd say is better.  Not counting little 5W amps, I went through 6 amps in around 8 years before buying the Lazy J.  I've not bought an amp since in a similar amount of time (although I did buy a Kemper).

Obviously it depends on your taste and it's probably not suitable for everyone.  I use it for a cleanish sound where it's clean if you play lightly and it starts to break up if you hit the strings hard.  It's a lovely warm clean that I'd say is the best I've heard.  I then use pedals to add drive to that.  Some of the drive is coming from the pedals and some probably from the amp being pushed a bit harder.
    For me personally, bang on !
  • richhrichh Frets: 453
    If it sounds good (and they do), who cares, go for it!

@crunchman if you ever manage to get a good profile from this for the Kemper KPA, I'd love to hear about it, as I can't justify having both my Kemper and a Lazy J!  I may be being a big optimistic there, but it never hurts to ask...
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31016
    Hey, I am out of this one.

I bought mine because I liked it.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    Hey, I am out of this one.

I bought mine because I liked it.
    The second one, that is... ;-)
    (formerly miserneil)
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11486
    richh said:
    If it sounds good (and they do), who cares, go for it!

@crunchman if you ever manage to get a good profile from this for the Kemper KPA, I'd love to hear about it, as I can't justify having both my Kemper and a Lazy J!  I may be being a big optimistic there, but it never hurts to ask...
    I'm going to have a go at profiling it.  I got the Amp Factory Lazy J pack as I thought that a professionally done one would probably be better than I can do, but the 20 that they profiled didn't have a Blue.  The profile says the cab was a 1 x 15" speaker but I don't know what type.
  • richhrichh Frets: 453
    I don't know where you're located @crunchman, but I've got some great recording mics (Neumann, Rode, etc) and Focusrite preamps - I don't know much about profiling but let me know if that is helpful?
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4307
    edited July 2015
    Bollocks to it...    I'm gonna sell mine...
    Well thats a given......... :D
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    No one amp is going to suit everyone. I can't stand most Marshalls but a hell of a lot of people seem to love them.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5191
    Well I still want one :)
    Well I still want two :) or a cab 
  • ourmaninthenorthourmaninthenorth Frets: 3418
    edited July 2015
    1.5K views, 78 replies...positions taken and defended, and not a single personal attack, fall out, flame or other things that go bump in the night....we are most certainly NOT TGP!!!! 

Kudos Gentlemen. 
    =D>

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6232
    tFB Trader
    1.5K views, 78 replies...positions taken and defended, and not a single personal attack, fall out, flame or other things that go bump in the night....we are most certainly NOT TGP!!!! 

Kudos Gentlemen. 
    =D>

you sir are a cnut (jokes)
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com