And now for a contentious Lazy J thread..

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• NamaquaNamaqua Frets: 62

Sorry to drag it back up nearly 4 years later! =)

Interesting reading the posts here.

I only looked because I’m thinking of getting an extension cab, or building one to go with a spare speaker I have.

I went to see Jesse a few years ago (probably around the time of this thread starting) because I'd heard one being used in a club as I was on my way out. I heard it through a doorway and just thought, wow what is that the guy is playing through. Walked back in and just managed to see a J40 or 80 sitting there? Didn't have a clue what it was and didn't see the logo properly. After a search around the net I recognised the picture and tracked Jesse down.

I read the post about RiftAmps thinking the first one he tried was not great, the second one was great when compared to how a 5E3 style amp and thought, “well, that’s the point isn’t it. As RiftAmps rightly points out (even as an effective competitor to Jesse), it is the amp-creators take on a 5E3. I had the very same conversation (or similar - probably less technical) with Jesse on a couple of occasions.

Initially I read RiftAmps comment about the first J20 he had on the bench and thought “competitor, not impressed by what a competitors amp is doing in relation to a 5E3, of course . . . .” but actually there wasn’t sour grapes at all. That particular amp was just different (or something busted in the circuit ) to a straight up 5E3. 

To me, if you want a boutique / custom built amp from a particular amps builder, then you choose that guy because he has the basic style/tone of amp you want. Generally, like Jesse does, they shape that circuit to suit your desired tone. Therefore, much like a custom built guitar, it is specific for you. Should you fall out of love or change your dream tone (as most of us do at some point), what you have is a cracking amp for a specific type of person, not a one fits all. . 

I literally just sold my 1963 AC30. After spending the last [many months] comparing multiple guitars (I have waaaay too many) and venues with that or my J20, I’ve decided the J20 is actually more versatile for me, less clean but for me, ideal and I haven’t even tried it with the extension for a fair 2x12 comparison. I do have another AC30 but that’s for my regular job and I can’t change that amp. 

Sorry to drag up an old thread anyway. I think most in this thread have made really valid comments which is why it’s so interesting. Just shows how opinions are exactly what tone is - subjective.

I've had that one ages darling
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom