Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Hit The Road Jack...........

What's Hot

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    I'm truly moved by your situation mate, so sorry for your suffering.
    If there's one ray of light in all this its that your family will see you more, and that's never a bad thing.

I second the lads above in saying your writing skills are great, keep it up mate.

Wishing you a bright and fulfilling future.

"who ever heard of a rubber duck that couldn't swim"

God speed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Good luck with the recovery dude, there's nothing worse than having to give up a job you had so much passion for.

Can I say as well keep writing man, with all the emotions you're dealing with it could well be just the outlet you need to stop you going crazy.

All the best Adam.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27810
    Hey Andy

As one door closes  ....

So, you'll no longer be able to do the job that wrecked your health and life, albeit a job that you loved doing.  It's done & gone.  But given what it's cost you through the years, maybe that's not such a bad thing.

Another opens ....

As we've briefly discussed, you have some other skills and talents that you've really not been able to put to good use because of the demands of that job.  Might even find that those other skills and talents take you into another job/role that you enjoy more than the truck driving, and certainly one that has less adverse impact on your health & life.

I think you have the personality, the knowledge and the skills to be a really good "how to play guitar in a band" mentor / guide.  Not a learn-this-scale, learn-that-scale guitar tutor.  More an experienced guide who can help the thousands of players who can play when sat in their bedroom (but who can only play when sat in their bedroom!) but don't have the first idea of how - or the confidence - to play in a band setting.

Worth a thought?

Just think of it as a career change opportunity.  OK, it's an enforced opportunity and the cause isn't at all pleasant.  But it's still an opportunity that most people don't get.  From what you've written, and what how you've seemed when we've met, I'm pretty sure that you'll make the most of the opportunity.

:)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2043

I know it might seem glib, when everything is so dark right now, but try to hold onto the fact that while the recovery may be protracted, every day you're going in the right direction. Those medical boffs are bloody clever and they will be able to fix you in time. Life on the road may have come to a premature end but so many other avenues can, and hopefully will, open up.

Don't say goodbye to us reprobates.  Say 'see you around'.

Animo y suerte*, as them funny Spanish fellers would say...

*Chin up and good luck, roughly translated.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• speshul91 said:
    Good luck with the recovery dude, there's nothing worse than having to give up a job you had so much passion for.

Can I say as well keep writing man, with all the emotions you're dealing with it could well be just the outlet you need to stop you going crazy.

All the best Adam.

Everything he said. Apart from calling myself "Adam" obvs.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't know what to say @Alnico other than I'm sending good thoughts your way and I know a little bit of the feeling on getting old being a fecker.

Please keep the faith that tomorrow will be a brighter day
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I am genuinely grateful for all the comments and offers of support i've had. Writing that was difficult last night because since i saw that doctor last week i've been in blissful, slightly wasted denial. By last night i couldn't ignore it anymore and i had to admit it was all over. It helped me greatly because today we have been discussing "Ok, what next then?".
    My Late Father used to have a saying...
    "You can either sit there on the floor feeling sorry for yourself or you can get back up, shake it off and carry on. If you choose to sit there wallowing then fine, it's your choice but eventually you will have to get up and carry on, you have no choice in that, you can't spend the rest of your life sat there on the ground crying so why waste time feeling bad ? Just get back up, sort yourself out and carry on kiddo".

The idea's and offers people have written in this thread plus a few of our own and the future is actually looking ok. Financially it's a wasteland compared to the wages we were used to. Deb has just landed a new job but it's only 3 days a week to start with and i'm at the mercy of the DSS but while it's going to be a huge change in lifestyle, we have worked out a reasonable way of looking at it and dealing with it.
    We have to go through it, there doesn't look like there is any choice. We can either spend what's looking like at least the next 12 months being miserable, negative and basically hurting ourselves and our lives even more than has happened already, or we can choose to remain happy (It's a state of mind), stop and look for the best way forward. Situations and individual issues can and often do piss me off immensely but controlling that and striving to be happy each day is a gift that i mentally worked very hard to achieve and i refuse to give that up for anyone and for any reason.

We are trying to plan stuff along the lines of

Jam Sessions (Inc. Guitar Show 2016 Aftershow party)
    Guitar lessons 1-1 (Basic 'How to Play' Tuition through to intermediate level)
    Guitar workshops (Focused tuition using backing tracks where needed) 
    Guitar live workshops (Full band set up with up to 4 guitarists focusing on quickfire learning / following a jam session song and then into improvisation. This will also include something covering song choice, approach to cover versions and playing as part of a full band.)

As well as that, i am going to spend the huge amount of 'Downtime' i have to have, writing something. If i'm honest, i would rather write fiction than anything else and if i'm brutally honest i already have kind-of-half-an-idea-ish so that's actually becoming quite an exciting prospect.

I spent today remembering my Late Father and all the others who gave their service and often their lives for my freedom. I ended up feeling humble and rather well refocused. 

Things could be a lot worse,

Lest we Forget.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27810
    With that sort of attitude, you're going to be fine.

It might be hard going at times, but you're going to be fine.

Here to help.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Ive followed this thread since you started it and you have provided a genuinely open and honest insight into the life of a trucker.  These last few posts are heartbreaking to read.  I feel for you dude.

The DWP  (DSS as was, quite some years ago) can be buggers to deal with and there are massive delays in some parts of the country.  Make sure you have your GP on your side and that you keep sending in medical notes without fail.  Preferably, keep a copy, send them registered mail and if at all possible make a note of the name of anyone you have to speak to at the DWP.  You should be claiming ESA  (Employment Support Allowance) to begin with, based on your Ni Contributions.

Have a read of this if you want some background info on ESA claims 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    @TTony Thanks Man.
    @thumpingrug Thanks for the link. I have got their number and i'm pushing it as hard as i can. I will keep that bookmarked though, thank you and thanks for your comments.
    If you liked the blog i think you will like the book i have an idea for but i admit now that it will take a while to write. It will be all over here when it's finished.

Thanks guys.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    TTony;853149" said:
    With that sort of attitude, you're going to be fine.

It might be hard going at times, but you're going to be fine.

Here to help.

Sentiments I'll echo and say anything we can do to help dude.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    Awesome positive attitude in trying times, very commendable!

Best of luck in your bright future mate.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Sorry to hear about your health :(

Your attitude in dealing with it is an inspiration.
    My V key is broken
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2043
    Alnico said:

We are trying to plan stuff along the lines of

Jam Sessions (Inc. Guitar Show 2016 Aftershow party)
    Guitar lessons 1-1 (Basic 'How to Play' Tuition through to intermediate level)
    Guitar workshops (Focused tuition using backing tracks where needed) 
    Guitar live workshops (Full band set up with up to 4 guitarists focusing on quickfire learning / following a jam session song and then into improvisation. This will also include something covering song choice, approach to cover versions and playing as part of a full band.)

As well as that, i am going to spend the huge amount of 'Downtime' i have to have, writing something. If i'm honest, i would rather write fiction than anything else and if i'm brutally honest i already have kind-of-half-an-idea-ish so that's actually becoming quite an exciting prospect.

Colour me interested on several of the guitar related ideas.  As Tony said above there are lots of guitarrists who play almost exclusively at home and yearn for a bit of nudge/helping hand in getting back playing with others.  I'm one of those. 

As for the writing stuff, that's also something I have an interest in.  I'm (sort of) a journalist with 20+ years experience writing and subbing.  Plus I have a couple of friends who are published authors.  I'm pretty sure between us all on here there would be a lot of expertise in areas like self-publishing, etc.  I know Jooky was/is in this line too.  So there would be plenty of support and maybe even bit of an audience to get things off the ground.

Some ideas:

Harry Potter - the Trucker Years
    Terminator 5 - the Rise of the Artics
    The Fast & the Furious 18-wheelers

My commission can be paid in ale.   

:D

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • McToot said:
    Some ideas:

Harry Potter - the Trucker Years
    Terminator 5 - the Rise of the Artics
    The Fast & the Furious 18-wheelers

My commission can be paid in ale.   

:D

Some others:

Dude, Where's My Cargo?

Tacho Ass The Movie

Fried Green Tomatoes at the The Chippenham Pit Stop Transport Cafe

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've skim-read your recent posts (at work) and am sorry to learn of your ill-health :( Best wishes for sorting out something else to do that won't harm you
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Mate, I cannot even begin to contemplate what you're going through. I thought I had troubles, but wow, you really, really do.

The teaching thing could work really well, you know. Every year The Stables in Milton Keynes does a thing called the Rock Experience, where they get people in, set them up as makeshift bands and then get them to do a concert at the end of 6 weeks. The only problem they have is that it's waaay oversubscribed with guitarists and they always need other musicians. But the principle is actually quite simple. (I think @TimmyO got himself into a band from something similar.)

So that's something you could think about offering, because there must be hundreds of people round your way wanting to do that sort of thing. Advertise on Join My Band at first, it's free if you do it right, so there's no set up fee.

But in general, far kin L, I don't know what to say other than all the best, good luck, and I really hope it works out for you, man.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • DamianPDamianP Frets: 501
    You write exceedingly well.  

My very best wishes to you for the future.  Nothing that`s easy is worth achieving.  
  • Andy, I'll echo what Dennis said. I do hope that everything sorts itself out. 
    and I'm sure we will gig/jam again in the future.  
    In jazz, no one can hear you scream
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4941
    holnrew said:
    Sorry to hear about your health :(

Your attitude in dealing with it is an inspiration.
    Seconded, @Alnico - also it sounds like you have a real diamond in Deb.  I'm sure you'll sort it out together - the love of a good woman is a wonderful thing.

All the best,
    Al.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom