Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Strat thread

What's Hot

Comments

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4261
    Ahh, forgot about this thread. Here is my latest strat shaped acquisition. A Rocketfire. And by god, it's amazing. Best Strat pups have ever heard by miles. Faded Fiesta Red is impossible to photograph. It's actually way more pink when you see it in the flesh:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5040
    This is my 56 relic. Had it since 2004, so one of the earlier models. 
    They've been doing Relics since 1995 I believe...
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    edited January 2014
    Cool finish!image
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1559
    Only photo I have of mine, and hindered by reflections, but you get the idea. I love this guitar!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 452
    Neil said:
    Elx said:

Deluxe in Aged Cherry Burst, not in my possession anymore, and I hate myself for selling it...
    Obviously recreating Hendrix burning his Strat at Monterey.

Brilliant!

Must be a strat thing cos my boy's not tried this on any of my Gibsons!!... here he is with my Simon Neil Strat that's now kitted out with 2 x humbuckers

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    bazxkr said:
    Wow, that is a whole load of gorgeous Strats on show here... I have 5 at the moment...here they are...
    Top to bottom...
    White Fender 2005 CIJ ST43, USA Fender 2006 LE Diamond 60th anniversary, natural partscaster, white Fender 1997 MIJ Blackmore Sig, black Fender MIM Roland 
    Cheers Baz

nice moc's  
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • p90fool said:
    Not a bad guitar, but sadly, word got out and they can't be had for twenty quid anymore...

I always kinda fancied one to shove a new pickup in and just muck around with... And I think they actually look quite cool.  Nice strat :D
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245

Must be a strat thing cos my boy's not tried this on any of my Gibsons!!... here he is with my Simon Neil Strat that's now kitted out with 2 x humbuckers

If he did that to a Les Paul the headstock would snap off :D
    Not a bad guitar, but sadly, word got out and they can't be had for twenty quid anymore...

I always kinda fancied one to shove a new pickup in and just muck around with... And I think they actually look quite cool.  Nice strat :D
    Yeah, all silliness aside, I really like it. The stock pickup is actually ok, I just put a 470pf treble pass cap on the volume control and it really came to life. It actually does country fairly convincingly when you back it off and rocks out pretty well on full volume. Note definition within chords is great even at high gain and the whole thing is nice and lively.

The daft thing is I obviously got it for its novelty looks, but I've only gigged it twice (the pink neck dots get totally lost on stage) but have used it on loads of studio sessions.

I put it in this thread as a bit of a joke tbh, having spent decades playing pre-CBS Fenders, but by any standards it's actually a good, lightweight Strat, and maybe the best 89 quid I ever spent. :)
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3905
    I'm thinking of refinishing my 84 Tokai. The burst hardly lets any grain show through and I wanna see what the wood's like in any case!

I've been hankering for something surf green for a while so may go that route.
  • Question. Why won't my starts twang.
    I have three starts.
    A) a warmth bling start alder body flame maple top, birds eye maple neck with apache pickups
    B) 90s American standard Fender with stock pickups
    C) a bitsa start with Texas specials.
    They all sound a bit mellow, with no straty twang,
    No matter what amp I try.
    The only thing I can put it down to is my fingers?
    Question. Why won't my starts twang.
    I have three starts.
    A) a warmth bling start alder body flame maple top, birds eye maple neck with apache pickups
    Forget the Texas Specials, they won't do it, and a lot of US Std pickups are pretty dead too. Apaches have a slightly overwound bridge so that might be too warm too.
    Next string change, as an experiment, swap your middle and bridge Apache pickups and see if that gets you there.
    No need to unsolder, just literally swap the pickups on the pickguard. Obviously your switch positions will be out and you'll have hot middle pickup, but the pickup that's now in the bridge position will now be a good quality vintage wind and should twang with the best of 'em.

If it doesn't then it's either the amp or your fingers. :)
    Having just typed all of the above however, I've just spent the morning playing fairly convincing surf/rockabilly with a Gibson 498T, so maybe it is all about the fingers.
    :)
  • p90fool;150276" said:
    Axe_meister said:

Question. Why won't my starts twang.

I have three starts.

Forget the Texas Specials, they won't do it, and a lot of US Std pickups are pretty dead too. Apaches have a slightly overwound bridge so that might be too warm too.

Next string change, as an experiment, swap your middle and bridge Apache pickups and see if that gets you there.

No need to unsolder, just literally swap the pickups on the pickguard. Obviously your switch positions will be out and you'll have hot middle pickup, but the pickup that's now in the bridge position will now be a good quality vintage wind and should twang with the best of 'em.

If it doesn't then it's either the amp or your fingers. :)
    Well my bridge pickup is actually a mule humbucker ;0)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Here's one I made earlier - 'Mojo' strat. Best strat I've ever played!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @axisus - Lovely.  What's the body finished in?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
    edited February 2014
    Only photo I have of mine, and hindered by reflections, but you get the idea. I love this guitar!

That's what I was trying to achieve when i did this -
    imageimage
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    @randomhandclaps The old finish was burned off, leaving some scorch marks, I used a quick drying satin varnish that I had in the garage (can't recall the brand, but I still have it somewhere), and hand painted the symbols on.
    @Megii Lots of lovely strats here, but yours appeals to me the most.