Euro 2016 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Some impressive rose tinted glasses worn by England fans tonight. I suspect they'll only last a game or two more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4734
    chrispy108;1106828" said:
    BigBearKris said:

chrispy108;1106800" said:International football is shit. A decent Championship team would beat England.

You're funny.

Oh, wait... you're not really. You're just wrong.

Sure about that after the final whistle?

They don't play as a team at all.
    It was a good team performance, that lacked the final clinical finishing. They had good posession, good passing and were the better team. You're just being a dick for the sake if it, churning out the usual rhetoric, with clearly no intelligent analysis of the actual game.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4734
    Fretwired;1106897" said:
    Teetonetal said:

Nice to see England finally play well. They really deserved to win that.

How so? Lots of possession but no bite in attack. How many shots did Harry Kane have? England never looked like scoring in open play against a slow ageing Russian defence. I've seen milk turn quicker that that Russian defence. Good old Roy had to play 4-3-3 to show he's a modern manager when he should have played 4-4-2 with Kane and Vardy in attack.
    It wasn't the formation that was the issue. Vardy would have done a better job than Sterling on the left of the 4-4-3. He was the most wasteful player and I'd have substituted him for Vardy or even Rashford from about 60 mins when it was clear he wasn't doing well.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Some impressive rose tinted glasses worn by England fans tonight. I suspect they'll only last a game or two more.
    Typical anti-England rubbish. No one here is saying "we are going to win the competition" or even "we will definitely make it out of the group now!". Anyone who judges a performance by the number of goals scored doesn't understand the game.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33867
    edited June 2016
    quarky said:
    Typical anti-England rubbish. No one here is saying "we are going to win the competition" or even "we will definitely make it out of the group now!". Anyone who judges a performance by the number of goals scored doesn't understand the game.

Don't be silly, I've been watching football for years. 
    The fact of the matter is the white shirts didn't get the round egg thing past the yellow man into the netting enough times. 
    The red men managed to run around a lot and ended up footing the egg thing past the other sides yellow man into the netting in the final minutes of the competition causing a loss of winning and making the red men's supporters to cause ruckus in the viewing area. 

Many white men were standing at the wrong end of the grass too many times when the egg thing was footed by other white men and then engaging in the playing of the egg thing causing a foul. 
    This is very naughty.

See, I understand it perfectly.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5302
    blame Sterling...i told Woy not to play him.....watching him this season has revealed these startling facts

he cant cross a ball consistently well if at all
    he couldnt see or execute a killer pass if his life depended on it
    he looks like he shits himself everytime he is in possession
    he cant finish
    this list goes on

on the up side he can run quite fast

Fretwired said:
    England were poor ..
    FFS mate....as far as England go that was a great performance
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28348
    A great performance every game is not what is required for tournament football. The win is everything. To concede a goal right at the death is very disappointing. I thought that the substitutions were wrong, Hodgson just isn't good enough to be honest. I didn't want him when he was appointed, and I wanted him out after Brazil. I think that if it turns around it is in spite of him, not because of him. We actually have some decent players right now.

Hey ho, this is England so nothing new. Well done Wales. I want all the home nations to do well, although England for the win of course!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6402
    England were ok in the first half, not the second.

Sterling should have been subbed by Vardy after 50mins max. 
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11391
    mgaw said:
    blame Sterling...i told Woy not to play him.....watching him this season has revealed these startling facts

he cant finish
    this list goes on

If he was a bluesman he'd be Blind Alley Sterling. He should have been hauled off at half time.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    scrumhalf said:
    mgaw said:

he cant finish
    this list goes on

If he was a bluesman he'd be Blind Alley Sterling. He should have been hauled off at half time.
    or shot...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12457
    edited June 2016
    First half for England was pretty good I thought, much better than some of the yawnfests of old and they certainly looked confident in possession. Not that convinced by Hart though, where was he for the Russian goal?

More worrying though, how did the Russian fans get those flares and fireworks into the ground? I thought the French were supposed to be on top level alert for terrorist attacks? Where was the security checking? Supposing it had been a bomb?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    boogieman;1107093" said:
    First half for England was pretty good I thought, much better than some of the yawnfests of old and they certainly looked confident in possession. Not that convinced by Hart though, where was he for the Russian goal?

More worrying though, how did the Russian fans get those flares and fireworks into the ground? I thought the French were supposed to be on top level alert for terrorist attacks? Where was the security checking? Supposing it had been a bomb?
    That's was a loud noise when that flare went off. Given that much of the lead up to this tournament has focused on how it could be targeted by terrorists then letting the Russian fans in carrying flares is a major fail.

Although on the plus side I really enjoyed the McDonald's adverts in Russian, often more interesting than the football.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    chrispy108;1106828" said:
    BigBearKris said:

chrispy108;1106800" said:International football is shit. A decent Championship team would beat England.

You're funny.

Oh, wait... you're not really. You're just wrong.

Sure about that after the final whistle?

They don't play as a team at all.
    It was a good team performance, that lacked the final clinical finishing. They had good posession, good passing and were the better team. You're just being a dick for the sake if it, churning out the usual rhetoric, with clearly no intelligent analysis of the actual game.
    I agree about the rose tinted glasses .. look at the lols I got for pointing out the obvious. Russia are a poor side with many of their stars missing and a temporary manager who manages a club side as a full time job. Spain would have gone through England like a hot knife through butter.

I'm a Spurs fan so for those of you who don't know how Harry Kane scores his goals there's a little video below. The final ball into the box was poor and England's system leaves them exposed to fast counter attacking teams. Pass the ball to Kane and he'll score goals. Bang the ball hopelessly into the box and hope will get you nowhere.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12457
    Fretwired;1107104" said:

I'm a Spurs fan so for those of you who don't know how Harry Kane scores his goals there's a little video below. The final ball into the box was poor and England's system leaves them exposed to fast counter attacking teams. Pass the ball to Kane and he'll score goals. Bang the ball hopelessly into the box and hope will get you nowhere.
    Why was Kane taking all the corners? Isn't our best striker supposed to be in the box to take chances? (And PS, his corners were mostly shit, get someone else on the job Woy)
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    edited June 2016
    quarky said:
    Plenty of people are saying it was a good or great performance, it wasn't.

As for doesn't understand the game, I was paid to analyse football matches for seven years, so lets not jump to the conclusion that I'm just looking at the number of goals. I'm not saying that makes my opinion correct, but maybe you and @menamestom shouldn't just start insulting me for disagreeing with you? Childish.

• There was no identity or consistency to their play, at times they played with a really aggressive high press, but it wasn't consistent, so most of the time it didn't work as only one or two players were doing it. All you're doing is getting tired, which was evident later on.
    • When we did win the ball high, we didn't react quicker enough, there wasn't enough support from deep, so most of the time we turned it over again anyway.
    • Roy spoke about our attack minded full-backs, but because neither of the wingers played as traditional wingers they had little support when getting forwards.
    • Kane up front on his own requires service, he didn't get any.
    • Rooney played in central midfield - for the first time for his country, in a competitive game. What are friendlies for if not to try stuff out? People are praising it as a great performance, but he did not make a successful pass into the box, and most of his passes were sideways and backwards around the middle third. Why use Rooney for this? Drinkwater is sitting at on a beach somewhere, mental decision. http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/624/cpsprodpb/C03F/production/_89951294_rooney_passes.png
    • Lallana doesn't have the finishing required to play in the front three. He runs around a lot yes, but he just seems to be Milner mark 2.
    • The defence look like they've never met. 
    • Sterling - one of our brightest talents, looked confused and underused. No idea how he finished the game.
    • Substitutions, or lack of. The game was so flat, Vardy is on the bench, you score a lucky free kick then try and win 1-0? By putting an unfit Wilshere on. He's hardly a holding midfielder, and it clearly wasn't a solid enough situation to sit on that lead.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    @crispy108 .... good analysis .. the lack of service to Kane should have been addressed by Hodgson.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2028

chrispy108 said:

Sterling - one of our most over-rated talents, looked confused and underused. 
    Fixed that for you. Didn't do much for Man City this year either...
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1002
    edited June 2016
    Hopefully he makes changes for the next game. It's gonna be a tough one against a confident Welsh team now.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31755
    axisus said:
     To concede a goal right at the death is very disappointing.
    In Fergski Time in fact...
    :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom