Euro 2016 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    lloyd;1106770" said:
    Thing is, in football you can be the best team, hit the post 3 times, have shots cleared off the line 4 times and dominate the game in every way, then concede a 94th minute own goal off a corner....That's the beauty and agony of it.
    May I have next week's lottery numbers please?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33898
    The great thing about being a foreigner living in the UK is I can support England right up until the point they fuck it up and then I can laugh.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5009
    Lallana missed two sitters. Not sure that Russia deserved a draw but they got it.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2430
    lloyd;1106770" said:
    Thing is, in football you can be the best team, hit the post 3 times, have shots cleared off the line 4 times and dominate the game in every way, then concede a 94th minute own goal off a corner....That's the beauty and agony of it.
    So much true
  • England 1 Russia 1. Loved it when the commentator was talking about the 3 points England were looking to get with 15 mins of the game left. Mugs!!!
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    chrispy108;1106800" said:
    International football is shit. A decent Championship team would beat England.
    You're funny.

Oh, wait... you're not really. You're just wrong.
    Sure about that after the final whistle?

They don't play as a team at all.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7826
    Nice to see England finally play well. They really deserved to win that. I think this team will always concede though as we simply aren't that great at the back. But with a bit of luck that could have had 3 or 4 tonight.

Still, nice to start brightly for once!
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    The commentator actually mentioned 1966. 50 years so ffs lol
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    Is it me or do players rarely try and take it past others? It's all about boring, safe passes. Where's the excitement? I get more excited watching replays of Pele and the like from years ago
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited June 2016
    Should have been about 3-0 at half time. I agree they played better than in previous tournaments with their passing etc, but they still fail where it matters - getting their shots on target. Relying on penalties and free kicks instead. Not convinced they will get very far based on that performance. Russia's goal very predictable at the end.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14002
    lloyd said:
    lloyd said:
    I don't follow football much but commentators saying England have been sensational appears to be a massive exaggeration, what's the score at half time? against a mediocre team? nothing sensational about that. This level of performance would not hold up to one of the leading teams.

They've played well, it's an opening game, a game they're favourites in, have made some pretty clear chances, played some easy on the eye stuff and totally nullified Russia's threat. It's a good performance, just needs a goal, but football sometimes doesn't produce them no matter how well you play. It's one of the gphardest things to do in pro sport, goal scorers are bought for 10's of millions and paid double their non-scoring counterparts wages.

OK let's see how Germany and Netherlands get on

Netherlands didn't qualify.....

Ha HaI did say I didn't follow football much! :-) i am a numpty!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2483
    edited June 2016
    All things considered that was massively disappointing.
    So everything going as normal then.
    My main sadness is that my 9 year old is starting to understand what it's like to support England :(
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    What a result!!!!

(I'm Welsh)
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1195
    Surely Russia and England have to be thrown out of the competition after the violence over the last couple of days. Isn't it the only way supporters and the various national associations will be forced to confront the issue of supporter violence? It is disgusting and seems very specifically linked to football.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    I know pundits (and supporters on phone-ins) have to have something to talk about after the game, but it is tedious to hear them micro-analysing the Russian goal and questioning Hodgson's two substitutions.  The problem for England was failing to score during that dominant first half, not what happened in the last 5 or 10 minutes.

I'm still apprehensive, as a Wales supporter, about sitting with a load of England fans watching the game on TV in the big kitchen at work on Thursday afternoon.

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    I picked 2-1, 1-0 for the first two games in the office sweepstake, so did pretty well. Not so well in the next two though.

Glad to see the England performance. Conceding that late is always a kick in the balls, but I would have taken a draw at the beginning of the game, and England played really well. *If* they can play that well again, Wales will have no answer in the next game. But that is a big if. England created a lot of good chances, played positively, and took the game to Russia.

Good to see Wales put in a good performance too and get the win. My wife is Polish though, so suspect I will support Poland tomorrow though :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    England were poor ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2016
    Nice to see England finally play well. They really deserved to win that.
    How so? Lots of possession but no bite in attack. How many shots did Harry Kane have? England never looked like scoring in open play against a slow ageing Russian defence. I've seen milk turn quicker that that Russian defence. Good old Roy had to play 4-3-3 to show he's a modern manager when he should have played 4-4-2 with Kane and Vardy in attack.

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited June 2016
    Because they created lots of good chances. Because they restricted Russia to sod all.
    You can say that they result is all about the goals. The performance isn't though. On other nights, they could have won 3-0. That is football though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2016
    quarky said:
    Because they created lots of good chances. Because they restricted Russia to sod all.
    You can say that they result is all about the goals. The performance isn't though. On other nights, they could have won 3-0. That is football though.
    No you couldn't. There weren't enough quality attempts on goal to get anywhere near 3 goals. Russia are poor. And I'm sorry but at this level getting caught off side so many times is naive. On tonight's performance Wales will beat England. The aim of football is to score goals, not impress people with possession and how well you ping the ball around. Harry Kane was AWOL most of the time.

And 1-0 up you have to be able to see a game out. The Italians are masters at it.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom