Guitarist-isms that make you cringe

What's Hot

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4238
    The frequent use of "jap" 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23046
    I'm not reading thirteen pages of shite to confirm they've been said already, but... "thinning the herd" and "pups".

I'm thinning my herd of pups.  Docking their tails and cropping their ears as well.  Poor little things.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The classifieds may never recover from this minefield of a'woke' thread...
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2962
    The classifieds may never recover from this minefield of a'woke' thread...
    How is 'staying woke' connected with 'Guitarist-isms that make you cringe'?  The 'woke' response to anything is never cringing, just offence, virtue signalling, anger, protest and a stampede towards the perceived moral high ground. No time to cringe! :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • @Bigsby OK,  perhaps 'woke' was the wrong term but I can see ads such as 'for sale - guitar. No description for fear of reprisals' ;)
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 647
    Case candy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    thegummy said:
    prlgmnr said:
    I see "Lester" has been covered, though the horror of it deserves mentioning again

I'll add referring to "front" and "back" pickups even though both pickups are quite clearly on the front of guitar
    I hate that second one, not cause I find it cringy, I genuinely find it so confusing and am never sure which they mean!
    Equally horrible “Gibbo” and “Gibby”
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4238
    edited August 2021
    I find most forms of "blues uniform" fairly cringeworthy. But that could just be sour grapes because I look bad in hats.

• carloscarlos Frets: 3458
    chris45 said:
    thegummy said:
    prlgmnr said:
    I see "Lester" has been covered, though the horror of it deserves mentioning again

I'll add referring to "front" and "back" pickups even though both pickups are quite clearly on the front of guitar
    I hate that second one, not cause I find it cringy, I genuinely find it so confusing and am never sure which they mean!
    Ibby too, I guess.
  • carlos said:
    chris45 said:
    thegummy said:
    prlgmnr said:

Ibby too, I guess.

Fndr
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Lewy said:
    I find most forms of "blues uniform" fairly cringeworthy. But that could just be sour grapes because I look bad in hats.

Grown ups tend to look strange wearing anything overly stylised.

And, of course, teenagers aren't in to blues.
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 647
    Made in USA,  but Crafted in Korea.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    edited August 2021
    "School me" always grates, probably because it comes across as an instruction rather than the intended request for help
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Litterick said:
    On the back of that, "crafted in $country" in general, as if means anything different to "made in"
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11945
    thegummy said:
    Litterick said:
    On the back of that, "crafted in $country" in general, as if means anything different to "made in"
    'Crafted' is intended to give the impression that some wizened, aged and super-skilled luthier has lovingly created your £300 guitar using time-honoured techniques and handed-down wisdom.  It moves your mind away from the reality, which is of course that the bodies are routed out by a CNC machine and the parts are bolted on in an Asian sweat-shop by a bunch of poor souls who are paid 30p an hour.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Offset said:
    thegummy said:
    Litterick said:
    'Crafted' is intended to give the impression that some wizened, aged and super-skilled luthier has lovingly created your £300 guitar using time-honoured techniques and handed-down wisdom.  It moves your mind away from the reality, which is of course that the bodies are routed out by a CNC machine and the parts are bolted on in an Asian sweat-shop by a bunch of poor souls who are paid 30p an hour.
    Bit harsh on the factory workers!
    thegummy said:
    Offset said:
    thegummy said:
    Litterick said:
    On the contrary - it's pretty much how it is and they have my very real sympathy.  Just one example:

https://unitelive.org/cort-guitar-makers-international/
    Offset said:
    thegummy said:
    Offset said:
    thegummy said:
    Litterick said:
    On the contrary - it's pretty much how it is and they have my very real sympathy.  Just one example:

I don't see anything in that link about a lack of skill from the workers 
    thegummy said:
    Offset said:
    thegummy said:
    Offset said:
    thegummy said:
    Litterick said:

I don't see anything in that link about a lack of skill from the workers 
    And I didn't mention a lack of skill in my original post.  I was pointing out that the word 'crafted' is intended to portray a different image of guitar production to the actual reality.
    Offset said:

And I didn't mention a lack of skill in my original post.  I was pointing out that the word 'crafted' is intended to portray a different image of guitar production to the actual reality.
    I agree with that of course, that's what I was meaning when I said about them using the term "crafted".

But when I said "bit harsh" I was saying that it's a bit more involved than putting together an Ikea table, isn't it?

Maybe it's not, I could be wrong.