Guitarist-isms that make you cringe

What's Hot

Comments

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    "This guitar is rubbish" it's not a bag of rotting food waste or the contents of a bin is it?! GAWD!!

"This guitar is nice" what, did it ask you if you wanted help with your shopping?! GAWD!!

Also, I'm quite sure I've read people relentlessly whinge about the description "plays like butter", 500 times more than I've seen it written in earnest.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I'm a rhythm guitarist..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    edited January 2014
    This thread makes me cringe. Bunch of wingeing gits (btw git is short for guitar ;) )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I tend to be annoyed by the unknowing or unthinking use of Americanisms, in any context. It has to do with the fact that in the endlessly-shrinking world that we occupy, exposure to mass media is eroding local dialects, and I like local dialects because they are diverse and interesting and joyous. Whenever a really broad Norfolk old Norfolk ol' boy dies, it means there are fewer people who speak with such a strong accent as him, or who use the words for certain things that he does. Now, this is a tricky area that I have mixed feelings about - whatever course the evolution of language takes, is the right course, by definition. It's no use trying to push back the tide or force your children to waste their fleeting youth on learning your father's lovely-but-obsolete language. Wales, northern Scotland, I'm looking at you.

BUT, I hypocritically also don't want these dialects and accents to die simply because a couple of generations watched and loved Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey or The One Where Monica Has Issues With Math, and whenever someone says "school me", or "dove" instead of "dived", or even - sorry, I do it too - "awesome", I feel our myriad idiosyncratic national speech patterns get stabbed in the gut, and I can't help but feel sad. 
    To the people whingeing about the whingeing on this thread - doesn't stuff like this interest you? Isn't it a legitimate thing to talk about?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    I must admit, I make a point of correcting people when they say "math". It's plural.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1198
    Yeah.

"Player's guitar": This once-valuable guitar has been butchered by an amateur electrician, refinished by a blind man and transported in a bin bag attached to the rear axle of my car - but I have to think up some kind of way to pretend that somehow makes it better than a guitar in pristine condition, so there you are.

The other one is just listing what is clearly an EPIPHONE as "by Gibson" or just putting the word Gibson in front of Epiphone or in some cases not even bothering to include the word Epiphone. I still can't figure out what anyone hopes to achieve by doing that. They're two companies owned by the same people, and that make similar products. When you sell your VW do you advertise it as a Porsche?

Beyond that, frankly, and as evidenced by our friend Mark D Phillips (Guitar Ruiner/Destroyer, Phillips Craptone Conversions), what grates for me is when people use the incorrect jargon for guitars in an attempt to sound knowledgeable. Point to it, describe it in normal language or use the accepted terminology. Telling me that your "Fender Esquier Strato" has "tonal dials" fitted to its "scratchguard" near the "cable insert" just makes you sound like a try-hard dumbass.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    We're just about to sell our VW, so thanks for the tip! ;)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• sm55onlsm55onl Frets: 28
    ...when my mate is trying to sell me his lovely vintage Strat / Les Paul [Custom] / 330[5]...

’Find another !?!!’
    [There’s very little comeback to that...]
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    Is it true bypass?
  • BtrcuBtrcu Frets: 99
    Yeah.

"Player's guitar": This once-valuable guitar has been butchered by an amateur electrician, refinished by a blind man and transported in a bin bag attached to the rear axle of my car - but I have to think up some kind of way to pretend that somehow makes it better than a guitar in pristine condition, so there you are.

The other one is just listing what is clearly an EPIPHONE as "by Gibson" or just putting the word Gibson in front of Epiphone or in some cases not even bothering to include the word Epiphone. I still can't figure out what anyone hopes to achieve by doing that. They're two companies owned by the same people, and that make similar products. When you sell your VW do you advertise it as a Porsche?

Beyond that, frankly, and as evidenced by our friend Mark D Phillips (Guitar Ruiner/Destroyer, Phillips Craptone Conversions), what grates for me is when people use the incorrect jargon for guitars in an attempt to sound knowledgeable. Point to it, describe it in normal language or use the accepted terminology. Telling me that your "Fender Esquier Strato" has "tonal dials" fitted to its "scratchguard" near the "cable insert" just makes you sound like a try-hard dumbass.
    Slightly off topic but in the same vein, but since when has "I couldn't care less" become "I could care less"? It gives the phrase a completely different meaning and is usually rendered pointless in the context of its usage because the person saying it actually usually means "I couldn't care less". Seems quite prevalent in the under 25s.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Btrcu said:
    Yeah.

Slightly off topic but in the same vein, but since when has "I couldn't care less" become "I could care less"? It gives the phrase a completely different meaning and is usually rendered pointless in the context of its usage because the person saying it actually usually means "I couldn't care less". Seems quite prevalent in the under 25s.

It's an American thing.

I don't know where it comes from - I always thought it was accent making "couldn't" sound like "could" but they type it the same way online so I'm not sure.

Maybe they really care and they want us to know! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10719
    Btrcu said:
    Yeah.

It's an American thing.

I don't know where it comes from - I always thought it was accent making "couldn't" sound like "could" but they type it the same way online so I'm not sure.

Maybe they really care and they want us to know! 

You can just about twist it to mean something approaching what’s meant if you say it like this:

Well, I could care less (but I probably won’t)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3458
    I don't think it's an American thing. It's wrong in any version of English. Probably became popular as the last syllable of "couldn't" is often silent or unheard and then that carries over to writing.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4238
    Btrcu said:
    Yeah.

It’s just adding a layer of sarcasm to the original phrase isn’t it? “I couldn’t care less” is literal”. “I could care less” is sarcastic as in “oh right because I could really care less about that thing”.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9733
    Things people assert with no actual proof but they read it on the internet…

Nowhere to hide with a Telecaster
    Through-body stringing improves sustain
    Old Korean and Japanese Squiers are the dog’s danglies 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9733
    Geee-tar
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Lick
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3458
    Lick
    Hate to correct you, but that's not a guitarism. The term is used for other instruments, too, and before it was used for guitar stuff.
  • I'm a much more relaxed person than I was when I started this thread.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5065
    Lester…  :o
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom