The Disclose your Salary Thread

What's Hot
dindudedindude Frets: 8540

Found it interesting that this topic has come up in another thread, not very British to disclose your Salary apparently.

So, you first................

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 5114
    edited July 2016
    not enough/too much* *Delete as appropriate
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    terada said:

Ha, good luck finding someone who thinks they're overpaid!
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    dindude said:
    terada said:

I was thinking more from the perspective of others. Although that said, there are probably some people that must know they have it easy. They probably wouldn't moan about it though.
  • DamianPDamianP Frets: 499
    Less than you.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24623
    Under £6000 salary.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    My last salary (am studying now so don't have one) was £21000. I was on considerably more than people who worked harder than I did in the same role. Living in an expensive part of the South East that left me very cash poor. Frustrating that I'd have been quite well off in many places on the uk
  • My colleagues must think I get paid in chocolate bars as I keep a stash of them in my desk ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    terada said:
    dindude said:
    terada said:

I was thinking more from the perspective of others. Although that said, there are probably some people that must know they have it easy. They probably wouldn't moan about it though.
    While I was cash poor I was overpaid for what I did. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
    Can I be the first to say fuck off you nosey bastard? Yep? Ta...
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4164
    edited July 2016
    dindude said:
    terada said:

I think I'm overpaid, but my clients think I'm cheap so I guess everyone's happy.

*edit* removed content as the moment's passed.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    Yep - it's not something we find easy to do. When I got the phone call for my current job the salary was almost treated as a dirty subject (not by me). 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• SporkySporky Frets: 28674
    Mine is slightly more than some people think, and rather less than a lot of people suspect.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24623
    Sporky said:
    Mine is slightly more than some people think, and rather less than a lot of people suspect.
    Funny how that happens many professions.
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    My incoming is now slightly more than my out going. That's all that matters.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26742
    More than the average and less than double it.

Incidentally, the whole "it's rude to ask" etiquette is actually very much a British thing; when I've worked in companies with Europeans, Americans and Australians they've never had a problem with other people knowing. I wonder if it speaks to an in-built jealousy in our culture (probably related to our apparent dislike of successful people).
    <space for hire>
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 847
    edited July 2016
    Do you mean just salary - or all income?

Ive never been money proud - just dont understand it.  It was explained that every worker negotiates their salary - and to disclose it could cause problems with other workers on a different rate for teh same job.

Ive always - and I mean always - been in jobs with pay scales. so everyone in the same job, at the same level, got/gets the same amount - so it really doesnt matter.

FWIW, and as I say Im not proud:

Wage - £28k
    Military Pension - £11400

I do get Child Benefit - £1780 (ish), though thats not tax'd of course.  So to be fair, the equivilant if I was earning it before tax/NI would be £2620 ish

So - total income of £42020.  I also get a company car to use for personal use.  No idea what thats actually worth - but somewhere in the region of £5k per year Id guess, as I dont have to pay insurance, maintenance, or any work related fuel (I work from home - so as soon as I leave my drive on work business I dont pay fuel).

So - an equivalent of around (rounded figure) £47k all in before Tax/NI.

My wife doesnt work, and I have 2 kids so its not exactly as rosey as it sounds.  Works out about the same as my military salary once the cost of accommodation (ie very cheap military quarter v ,y mortgage) is taken into account. 

Its actually better than I tought once everything is added up (benefits plus car value). I thought I was around the £40k mark.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    My hourly rate is about £1,000 because I have f*ck all to do and I keep getting paid.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    Income less expences = surplus, only been that way for the last few years. I recognise the input/partnership of a good woman in that equation. I have been decades on the wrong end of debt in the past. Not so confident that the future holds such good times in the foreseeable.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    i have no problem discussing salary etc face to face but I would no way publish it in print on an internet forum. Same way I wouldn't put my address, family details etc on either. Too many wankers in the world. Regardless, many people immediately judge you by what you earn, paritcularly if the person concerned is highly paid. Its the way we have been conditioned to think, and its one of the reasons people generally avoid talking about salaries.